Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Re member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    And it doesn't make you reckless or irresponsible. So often in comics the happy guy (or gal), comfortable in himself (or herself) is shown this way.
    I get the impression sometimes that's because many people think happiness and joy is a sign of simpleness or stupidity. They're miserable, and anyone who isn't must be an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Actually that would clean up everything,heck if superman actually died in the new 52 they could use that time for when lex creates him,OR that time he hit superman with a train and tortured him to get a blood sample.
    Well Harvest did use that time to get a dna sample as well as Lex when he first created Bizarro. But why use Lois? I guess if he needed female dna but why use her earlier in her career? Pre 52 Lex makes sense since he was in love the woman and viewed her as perfect. Maybe if a more sympathetic Lex from an alternate future wanted to create another Superman (he either died or went missing) but still needed human female dna. He'd use Lois since he thought it would be fitting. Heck why not be a creation in the 30th century like the Legion. Either way, I just want to see him doing something

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

DC has a history of dumping on Kon. In his first series they took a pretty decent series and let Dan Didio co-write it turning him into a landlord of an apartment building. Bad dialogue, bad plots and some pretty poor art cancelled the book right quickly.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

So what I meant by the Big Lebowski comment had nothing to do with weed, drugs of any kind, or simply just being happy (well not completely).

What I meant was that Kon, when he was speaking to Jon, seemed to exude this zen-like atmosphere. The way he spoke about them creating their owe universe was they way you or I would make a lunch order. It was so very matter a fact. Even Jon commented on the whole thing and Kon simply said he was just happy to be alive. But there's more to it than that. He spent time as the servant of an all knowing demi-god, he had his body ripped in half during a time space anomaly, and then had his consciousness stretched through time and space to find it's way back to the present and he shares it with two others. So yes there's defiantly something more to it than just being happy.

My take on it? I think between his time with the demi-god and his first hand account, I think Kon-el now has "inside information" on some of the inner working of the universe. I think he maybe slightly if not fully enlightened. I mean he broke down the mechanics of time space to Jon as if he know it all to well. What we could have on our hands is an interesting Superman character in the main cast like we've never had before. Now he doesn't have to spout cosmic nonsense at you 24/7 but his slightly altered viewpoint, chill disposition, new thirst for life could be great. Some occasional cosmic "we are all one" talk couldn't hurt.

Well we won't know till next issue and beyond. But I've got hopes for what comes next.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    So what I meant by the Big Lebowski comment had nothing to do with weed, drugs of any kind, or simply just being happy (well not completely).

What I meant was that Kon, when he was speaking to Jon, seemed to exude this zen-like atmosphere. The way he spoke about them creating their owe universe was they way you or I would make a lunch order. It was so very matter a fact. Even Jon commented on the whole thing and Kon simply said he was just happy to be alive. But there's more to it than that. He spent time as the servant of an all knowing demi-god, he had his body ripped in half during a time space anomaly, and then had his consciousness stretched through time and space to find it's way back to the present and he shares it with two others. So yes there's defiantly something more to it than just being happy.

My take on it? I think between his time with the demi-god and his first hand account, I think Kon-el now has "inside information" on some of the inner working of the universe. I think he maybe slightly if not fully enlightened. I mean he broke down the mechanics of time space to Jon as if he know it all to well. What we could have on our hands is an interesting Superman character in the main cast like we've never had before. Now he doesn't have to spout cosmic nonsense at you 24/7 but his slightly altered viewpoint, chill disposition, new thirst for life could be great. Some occasional cosmic "we are all one" talk couldn't hurt.

Well we won't know till next issue and beyond. But I've got hopes for what comes next.
    I was just watching a trailer for the movie Lucy again and it got me thinking about what you just wrote here. He has a perspective of the universe that few people have. Couple that with the nature of his powers, we have ourselves a very interesting member of the Superman family. I'm thinking something like a hyrbid of Star Trek, Phineas and Ferb, and All Star Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iopy View Post
    I get the impression sometimes that's because many people think happiness and joy is a sign of simpleness or stupidity. They're miserable, and anyone who isn't must be an idiot.
    Might be true,and it's sad if it is.remember when heroes were happy? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    Well Harvest did use that time to get a dna sample as well as Lex when he first created Bizarro. But why use Lois? I guess if he needed female dna but why use her earlier in her career? Pre 52 Lex makes sense since he was in love the woman and viewed her as perfect. Maybe if a more sympathetic Lex from an alternate future wanted to create another Superman (he either died or went missing) but still needed human female dna. He'd use Lois since he thought it would be fitting. Heck why not be a creation in the 30th century like the Legion. Either way, I just want to see him doing something
    I like that they have already established that time as the time when lex and Harvest got their samples,so it should stay.lois as "mother" and lex as "creator" atleast for this idea is straight from all star superman,can't remember,but why did lex use Lois there?i wouldn't mind a link to the Legion.it can go like this- the Legion want to bring superman back as inspiration,kon is created like the clone in the animated show.Harvest steals him early in his development and takes him to present time to defeat superman and the metas.thats one idea.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    DC has a history of dumping on Kon. In his first series they took a pretty decent series and let Dan Didio co-write it turning him into a landlord of an apartment building. Bad dialogue, bad plots and some pretty poor art cancelled the book right quickly.
    Yeah and The run before Didios was where his powers were growing like crazy(air inside field for space travel,his LA gun dismemberment,etc).just shows ya a bad writer or artist can screw up even a great character (new 52 also).

I like that idea,maybe because Kon's mind works in a SUPER way he can still "understand" some of it,but for a human they would forget instantly,cause their minds aren't able to process and hold at that level.

I was just watching a trailer for the movie Lucy again and it got me thinking about what you just wrote here. He has a perspective of the universe that few people have. Couple that with the nature of his powers, we have ourselves a very interesting member of the Superman family. I'm thinking something like a hyrbid of Star Trek, Phineas and Ferb, and All Star Superman.

I do like a "down to earth" kon,but this sounds cool also.

How does your hybrid idea work exactly?

I do like a "down to earth" kon,but this sounds cool also.

How does your hybrid idea work exactly?
    I was pretty much thinking the tone and scope of the book. The legendary feats we see in All Star Superman, the simple fun factor and zest for life and adventure in Phineas and Ferb and even the globe, galactic, and time trotting adventures found in Star Trek, Indiana Jones and Doctor Who. Maybe some Flash Gordon. He must have amazing inside knowledge of the universe so people might see him as a bit weird or distant like The Doctor in Doctor Who. At the same time he has this great love of life and understanding since he's died before and has acquired deep knowledge. Knowledge he might want to share with people and other aliens. Heck imagine the number of languages and history civilizations from throughout the universe he must. While we're still looking at the trees, he has a bird's eye view of the entire forest. The mind of an old man but with the imagination and energy of a child. In one minute he's running from an underground hidden civilization, next he's time displaced during the first world war, followed by a bar scene with Green Lanterns in an outpost far in the galaxy, and finally just chilling with some people on the grass watching a sunset and thinking what to do the next day. All with a smile on his face. Kind of reminds me of the errands he and Krypto ran for Luthor in Adventure Comics. I like a down to earth Kon as well but it seems much of that has been taken over by Superman a bit.

BANNED

I was pretty much thinking the tone and scope of the book. The legendary feats we see in All Star Superman, the simple fun factor and zest for life and adventure in Phineas and Ferb and even the globe, galactic, and time trotting adventures found in Star Trek, Indiana Jones and Doctor Who. Maybe some Flash Gordon. He must have amazing inside knowledge of the universe so people might see him as a bit weird or distant like The Doctor in Doctor Who. At the same time he has this great love of life and understanding since he's died before and has acquired deep knowledge. Knowledge he might want to share with people and other aliens. Heck imagine the number of languages and history civilizations from throughout the universe he must. While we're still looking at the trees, he has a bird's eye view of the entire forest. The mind of an old man but with the imagination and energy of a child. In one minute he's running from an underground hidden civilization, next he's time displaced during the first world war, followed by a bar scene with Green Lanterns in an outpost far in the galaxy, and finally just chilling with some people on the grass watching a sunset and thinking what to do the next day. All with a smile on his face. Kind of reminds me of the errands he and Krypto ran for Luthor in Adventure Comics. I like a down to earth Kon as well but it seems much of that has been taken over by Superman a bit.
    I like your ideas,sound very fun,amd never stale.

I like that idea,maybe because Kon's mind works in a SUPER way he can still "understand" some of it,but for a human they would forget instantly,cause their minds aren't able to process and hold at that level.
    Well I'm thinking that if almost anyone went through that they would come out similar. But where I set Kon apart would be that he see that other people are living so "unconnected" so "2 dimensional". He sees and feels this with his unique mind. His empathy would be off the charts. He can quite literally ascribe a physical sensation to the sad woman next to him. This level of sensitivity along side him new outlook and zest for life would likely create a character who acted in part like Iron Fist from that awful Ultimate Spider-man cartoon. Not completely like him mind you but that chilled out but "wise beyond your years" mentality.

Yes something very much like his fetch quest for Luthor back in Adventure Comics, but the difference is that he wants to do them for the sake of doing them. I could see moving forward that he'd be less of a Superhero and more of an adventurer/explorer. His thirst to truly appreciate and uncover the overlooked oddities of our world and beyond would drive him.

It would quite literally be Phineas and Ferb in the sense that it's this kid who just wakes up in the morning and thinks "what am I gonna do today". But the only thing is you'd have to make sure to package this "wise beyond his years" young man in a genuinely likable and quirky personality. So the prefect example would be Phineas I think. I'd almost like to make him a slight parody of sorts. Like maybe he's known to just find a group of people and sit in a circle in the grass and drop some crazy universe knowledge on them in a very matter a fact way with a chill smile on his face.

To be honest anything close to this take will happen. We're probably just gonna get a slightly happier Superboy who conveniently forgets what he learned. He'll join Gen 13 and hit people in the face with his red laser light show. All flash no substance as per usual. I mean since DC doesn't seem to want Superman engaging in his hobbies of exploration, discovery, and all around fun I thought they'd at least give us a substitute character for that. But no Jimmy Olsen is boring as hell in the new 52 and Superboy will probably revert back to form once Gen 13 gets a hold of him.

BANNED

Well I'm thinking that if almost anyone went through that they would come out similar. But where I set Kon apart would be that he see that other people are living so "unconnected" so "2 dimensional". He sees and feels this with his unique mind. His empathy would be off the charts. He can quite literally ascribe a physical sensation to the sad woman next to him. This level of sensitivity along side him new outlook and zest for life would likely create a character who acted in part like Iron Fist from that awful Ultimate Spider-man cartoon. Not completely like him mind you but that chilled out but "wise beyond your years" mentality.
    His TTK senses already does this to a certain extent, which is probably what your saying.i like his TTK senses for this reason, I would love for him to be kinda like his lex was describing supermans senses at the end of all star superman,where he said we are all connected,and so on.his TTK sense of "feel" could be what makes him learn and be wise beyond his years,but also be a great protector.btw I call this SUPER spidey senses,because it takes what Peter has and takes it to another whole level.

Yes something very much like his fetch quest for Luthor back in Adventure Comics, but the difference is that he wants to do them for the sake of doing them. I could see moving forward that he'd be less of a Superhero and more of an adventurer/explorer. His thirst to truly appreciate and uncover the overlooked oddities of our world and beyond would drive him.

It would quite literally be Phineas and Ferb in the sense that it's this kid who just wakes up in the morning and thinks "what am I gonna do today". But the only thing is you'd have to make sure to package this "wise beyond his years" young man in a genuinely likable and quirky personality. So the prefect example would be Phineas I think. I'd almost like to make him a slight parody of sorts. Like maybe he's known to just find a group of people and sit in a circle in the grass and drop some crazy universe knowledge on them in a very matter a fact way with a chill smile on his face.

To be honest anything close to this take will happen. We're probably just gonna get a slightly happier Superboy who conveniently forgets what he learned. He'll join Gen 13 and hit people in the face with his red laser light show. All flash no substance as per usual. I mean since DC doesn't seem to want Superman engaging in his hobbies of exploration, discovery, and all around fun I thought they'd at least give us a substitute character for that. But no Jimmy Olsen is boring as hell in the new 52 and Superboy will probably revert back to form once Gen 13 gets a hold of him.

-Aslong as he is clearly a hero who is a adventurer/explorer I'm good withh that, we don't need anymore of what we got in new 52 before he saved Argo.

-never watched that show,could you describe Phineas for me?

- the one thing I don't want is kon to look like a knockoff of "his" knockoff Nate grey/xman with his mutant shaman stuff,but he would probably do it a with a lot more fun and humor.

-yeah your last paragraph makes me think the same thing,and the last thing I want is more " laser light show",I want him to make a fist and punch shit,don't like the over doing amount of TK energy kon we got.it should be modest,like kesels version,and hell he was all TTK, all the time.

His TTK senses already does this to a certain extent, which is probably what your saying.i like his TTK senses for this reason, I would love for him to be kinda like his lex was describing supermans senses at the end of all star superman,where he said we are all connected,and so on.his TTK sense of "feel" could be what makes him learn and be wise beyond his years,but also be a great protector.btw I call this SUPER spidey senses,because it takes what Peter has and takes it to another whole level.
    I think it should be what he went through that makes him wise beyond his years because if it were just his power then he would have always been this way since nothing about his power has changed from what I can tell. His powers should only supplement this and give him a more "literal" view of things and not necessarily a better view

-Aslong as he is clearly a hero who is a adventurer/explorer I'm good withh that, we don't need anymore of what we got in new 52 before he saved Argo
    Well he'd obviously be a good heroic person, but he just wouldn't go out and do conventional hero work. Like say having his own city to protect or paroling an area. He wouldn't be a super cop. More an explorer who's heroic

-never watched that show,could you describe Phineas for me?
    An 8 year old kid who, with his brother, wakes up everyday and tries to make the most of it by filling it with discovery, adventure, and invention. The idea is that "there's 104 days in summer vacation and school come along just to end it. So they annual problem of our generation is finding a good way to spend it". He's a great character that is to be sure.

- the one thing I don't want is kon to look like a knockoff of "his" knockoff Nate grey/xman with his mutant shaman stuff,but he would probably do it a with a lot more fun and humor.
    Not really the direction I'd go in

-yeah your last paragraph makes me think the same thing,and the last thing I want is more " laser light show",I want him to make a fist and punch shit,don't like the over doing amount of TK energy kon we got.it should be modest,like kesels version,and hell he was all TTK, all the time.
    I don't even think I care about his powers to be honest. It seems to be the only thing people talk about when they bring him up. I think that's because he doesn't have too many great stories to his name or stand out character moment that everyone remembers. Even if they get his power set "perfect" (whatever that means) then he'll still just be a bunch of powers shaped like a person. That's all he's been in the new 52 to be honest.

I like anyone else have an image of what powers he could have but that doesn't make an engaging and lasting character. When I said "laser light show" and "all flash no substance" I was speaking about him as a whole. That's all he's been and they seemed to think that if they gave us some constant power talk it would make up for the paper thin character that he is. Now that we have a real shot at something interesting and fresh. Something that could mix the flash with substance. I find myself skeptical if not completely faithless. But that waits to be seen.

Yes exactly! I'd even bring back the Adventure Comics name for this! Since Superman himself hasn't exactly explored this avenue as much as I'd like, this is a perfect opportunity to experiment with this on a still "blank slate" Super character. The backdrop is already in play.

Yes and yes! I can just picture that. I mentioned that he would appear weird or eccentric to those around him in a good way. He's not always here on the "ground" with us so every now and then someone needs to "bring" him back down to Earth. This could work with a supporting cast member like the companion's of Doctor Who.

The sad thing is you're probably right. If Kuder where still writing I would have had some hope.

Yes exactly! I'd even bring back the Adventure Comics name for this! Since Superman himself hasn't exactly explored this avenue as much as I'd like, this is a perfect opportunity to experiment with this on a still "blank slate" Super character. The backdrop is already in play.
    I was thinking the very same thing! Adventure comics would be a perfect place to bring him back since after all his book is now gone. Yes for some reason DC doesn't want Superman exploring and discovering things for the simple fun an wonder of it and because he's freakin Superman......in fact they don't really want him doing it at all. Pak has come closest with this and his first arc where they explored the underground world but they only thing was it wasn't of his own accord. Not that it always has to be. I'm fine with him getting into misadventures and subliming on these discovers (sometimes I'd rather that actually).

But anyways since we don't get this with Superman (tragic) then I see NO REASON we couldn't get it with Superboy. Especially given how relatively blank his character is. He only now has the embers of a truly inspired character. Hopefully DC doesn't snuff them out.

Yes and yes! I can just picture that. I mentioned that he would appear weird or eccentric to those around him in a good way. He's not always here on the "ground" with us so every now and then someone needs to "bring" him back down to Earth. This could work with a supporting cast member like the companion's of Doctor Who.
    You got it right on the noise! He should have a crew/group of people with him who along the way evolve into explores, knowledge seekers, and adventures.

The sad thing is you're probably right. If Kuder where still writing I would have had some hope.
    Eh I've learned to accept it. I don't really read DC books that aren't written by Pak anyways. I'll be adding Morrison back to that list this next month so that's always amazing. But yeah more "powers powers POWERS, my name is Superboy, where do I belong, pointless fight pointless fight powers powers did you hear about my powers". More good times with Superboy at DC.....

BANNED

I think his TTK senses should be something his enlightened status could point or use to further this enlightenment.

Adventure stories go hand in hand with teen hero stories,and Kon's could be epic,so I hope they go that route.

And having normal ppl around who don't or can't see things the way he can or does is imperative IMO.

I don't want him anything like Nate grey shaman,I want him relaxed,casual,easy to to talk to,even if it's hard to understand him sometimes.oh and fun times,humor,attitude,never say quit.

Oh and if DC would just settle on one damn powerset we could stop talking about it all the damn time(besides commenting in how cool,it was used in the stories) and more in his story,which i do think he has,just it gets clouded over by having all his page time being about convulted stuff nobody cares about.there is a core to kon,a writer needs to get back to it.