Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default The Bendis Tapes. First long form interview is out.

Go listen on the Word Balloon podcast and let’s discuss it here. Its a long one. 2.5 hours.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Thanks for the heads up, was looking forward to listening to this!

2.5 hours ??! Damn. I'll read the discussion here instead of listening to an interview that long.

Notes

-Bendis confirms again he's not rebooting anything and loves the current runs

-Bendis confirms Pat Gleason is drawing Action Comics

-Bendis wasn't aware of a big trunks controversy, he was just offered if the trunks should be on Superman and he said yes

-Bendis will address the trunks in the comics directly in the comics, people in Metropolis will discuss the trunks and their opinion of them

-Bendis refers to Superman as Clark a lot when he talks about him to editors and firends, will focus a lot more when he's not superman

-Clark being a investigative reporter will be a big part of Bendis run, being a reporter is the first thing Clark really chose for himself according to Bendis.

-Lois will be important, Bendis thinks she is the most fearless person in all of comics

-On the marriage: "So many people are worried about the state of their marriage and the state of their family. You should be. What they are attempting to do is so enormous and it is so delicate, and so precious, and there is so much pressure on them coming from so many different directions. You absolutely should be scared for that delicate, beautiful relationship." (thanks rosawater for the full quote)

-We'll get a lot of Perry's point of view and focus on daily planet as a newspaper(also the dying aspect of newspapers)

-Big Plans for Jimmy, Bendis can't say what yet

-Mike Cotton and Brian Cunningham are the editors on his Superman titles

Last 30 minutes of the podcast seem to be about his health scare he had, so I have missed something at the end.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 02-09-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

thanks DP, I'd have to drive to Disneyworld to knock that out in one sitting. And I doubt many comic people have a voice for radio lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Learner View Post
    2.5 hours ??! Damn. I'll read the discussion here instead of listening to an interview that long.
    It feels like the first 45 minutes is the guy introducing the show and trying to sell you stuff.
    Co-host of Ultimate Spin - the Spider-Fan podcast for Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen!
    And check out our in-depth podcast interviews with their creators!

BANNED

Hearing that Bendis was offered both Wolverine and Deadpool at Marvel makes me feel like a bullet was dodged when Bendis decided to leave. I'm a fan of his work (for the most part) but the idea of Bendis on either of those books (despite his making good use of DP as a guest star in Defenders)...no thank you. A thousand times, no. It makes me depressed on behalf of those characters to even think about it and relieved that neither of those things came to pass. To his credit, Bendis made the right decision. Hopefully the right people will be on those books and Bendis can accomplish better things on Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    thanks DP, I'd have to drive to Disneyworld to knock that out in one sitting. And I doubt many comic people have a voice for radio lol
    no problem, it's a pretty good listen even without the Superman stuff, so I'd still recommend it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    -People worried about the marriage and family for Clark and Lois "should be worried" (Bendis didn't really elaborate and I can't tell if he's joking or not
    - here)t
    They're still together in Doomsday Clock, so maybe they go through a rough year and reconcile before that?

Lois and Clark going through upheaval is just not my cup of tea. I get enough of that crap from Marvel. I guess I'm dropping the books.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-09-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    They're still together in Doomsday Clock, so maybe they go through a rough year and reconcile before that?

Lois and Clark going through upheaval is just not my cup of tea. I get enough of that crap from Marvel. I guess I'm dropping the books.
    Based on the interview, it sounds like he considers the marriage and supporting a family while being Superman to be a tough challenge, so I'm guessing we'll see some sort of drama, but I'm doubtful he'll actually end the marriage or anything.

BANNED

Based on the interview, it sounds like he considers the marriage and supporting a family while being Superman to be a tough challenge, so I'm guessing we'll see some sort of drama, but I'm doubtful he'll actually end the marriage or anything.
    Really? The guy that claims to "love both runs" and yet can't clearly see how those writers have coped with developing Lois in positive ways?

Really? The guy that claims to "love both runs" and yet can't clearly see how those writers have coped with developing Lois in positive ways?
    That's just my take on what he was saying. He only discussed the marriage for like 30 seconds, either way, I think Jon is fine. He mentioned he wants to show Clark as a father and guardian when describing his Clark.

BANNED

I think the real tough challenge will be rescuing Superman from the catastrophe Bendis is about to inflict upon it.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

-Bendis will address the trunks in the comics directly in the comics, people in Metropolis will discuss the trunks and their opinion of them
    I expect some meta jokes about why Superman is wearing his underwear on the outside.

Notes

-Bendis confirms again he's not rebooting anything and loves the current runs
    Well, that's good.
    -Bendis confirms Pat Gleason is drawing Action Comics
    Cool!
    -Bendis wasn't aware of a big trunks controversy, he was just offered if the trunks should be on Superman and he said yes
    I guess we know who we have to thank for getting the trunks back and leaving behind the Reborn costume .

I really don't need to see the trunks coming back as this thing people in-universe are constantly talking about.
    -Bendis refers to Superman as Clark a lot when he talks about him to editors and firends, will focus a lot more when he's not superman
    I can see this irking some people but I think Bendis would probably do a better job with Clark then he would "Superman."
    -Clark being a investigative reporter will be a big part of Bendis run, being a reporter is the first thing Clark really chose for himself according to Bendis.
    Probably good for Bendis to lean into what he would feel more at home with, like Clark as an investigative reporter.
    -Lois will be important, Bendis thinks she is the most fearless person in all of comics
    No arguments there.
    -We'll get a lot of Perry's point of view and focus on daily planet as a newspaper(also the dying aspect of newspapers)
    -Big Plans for Jimmy, Bendis can't say what yet
    More Planet, more Perry, and more Jimmy? Sounds great!
    -Mike Cotton and Brian Cunningham are the editors on his Superman titles
    Sounds good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Hearing that Bendis was offered both Wolverine and Deadpool at Marvel makes me feel like a bullet was dodged when Bendis decided to leave. I'm a fan of his work (for the most part) but the idea of Bendis on either of those books (despite his making good use of DP as a guest star in Defenders)...no thank you. A thousand times, no. It makes me depressed on behalf of those characters to even think about it and relieved that neither of those things came to pass. To his credit, Bendis made the right decision. Hopefully the right people will be on those books and Bendis can accomplish better things on Superman.
    I could see him doing an okay Wolverine run but a Deadpool run by Bendis would probably be like Daniel Way's run...so, glad we dodged that bullet.

If anything it might be like the drama he injected into Jessica and Luke's marriage at the beginning of his second volume of Jessica Jones.

So he won't break them up, but there might be some marital difficulties or tension.