Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

the podcast interview really pulled me off the ledge here...I'm actually looking forward to seeing what he does.

It sounds like he has a lot of respect for Lois and Jimmy and I think he'll write them well. I also liked a lot of what he said about Clark and all the different sides to his character (although really a lot about what he said about Clark the journalist).

My hope was that making a big change and taking on such an iconic character would really get Bendis' creativity flowing in a good way (like his early Marvel stuff, etc) and I think/hope that is the case. Sometimes you just need a new sandbox to play in....

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Having a "team book" made up of people who have been an established team for nearly 80 years is inherently more organic than the new team in 'Tec. Doesn't mean 'Tec's team is "bad" if that's what you're looking for with that question, but it is inherently less organic a book to make than what Action is apparently becoming. Again, not a slight on the book by any means.
    Okay good to know that.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I'm already starting hating Bendis because of the unnecessary return of the trunks.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I'm already starting hating Bendis because of the unnecessary return of the trunks.
    Why exactly do you think they're unnecessary if you don't mind my asking? With Superman's 80th anniversary and Action Comics #1000 this year, bringing the trunks backs was an inevitability.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Why exactly do you think they're unnecessary if you don't mind my asking? With Superman's 80th anniversary and Action Comics #1000 this year, bringing the trunks backs was an inevitability.
    After the Reborn costume it just feels weird to see them back on the suit. They almost feel tacked on.

And I'm not even against the trunks in general.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    After the Reborn costume it just feels weird to see them back on the suit. They almost feel tacked on.

And I'm not even against the trunks in general.
    I'm sure Superman is going also to look odd alongside his JL peers with their modern-looking costumes.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 02-17-2018 at 07:50 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I'm sure Superman is going also to look odd alongside his JL peers with their modern-looking costumes.
    I personally very much prefer the diversity in looks and feels of the League members. Batman's wearing a tactical suit as per personality and style of crime fighting would lead to. Cyborg is high tech because his name is Cyborg. Flash's new suit is streamline and a one piece with electricity running through as a nod to the idea of his speed and the source of his powers. The Lanterns are wearing personalized variations on a cop uniform. Wonder Woman now looks distinctly un-modern with her suit being a throwback to warrior roots.

I mean, the UN doesn't have everyone conforming to one look or flag. I was never a fan of Lee's homogenized Power Ranger design idea from the New 52 especially when literally none of them shared an origin or tailor for that matter.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Incredible Member

I personally very much prefer the diversity in looks and feels of the League members. Batman's wearing a tactical suit as per personality and style of crime fighting would lead to. Cyborg is high tech because his name is Cyborg. Flash's new suit is streamline and a one piece with electricity running through as a nod to the idea of his speed and the source of his powers. The Lanterns are wearing personalized variations on a cop uniform. Wonder Woman now looks distinctly un-modern with her suit being a throwback to warrior roots.

I mean, the UN doesn't have everyone conforming to one look or flag. I was never a fan of Lee's homogenized Power Ranger design idea from the New 52 especially when literally none of them shared an origin or tailor for that matter.
    100% this.

What exactly is "ODD" about it?... And..."Modern" by who and / or, what standards?

I think there's definitely a variety of looks in the League but I think there's still a sense of cohesion among all the costumes that I feel like throwing a trunks-clad Superman back into breaks up.

I'll have to see how it looks once they're back in the fold. I do have a similar concern though. I'm all for a diverse set of looks but at the same time you get a group of people together today with a bunch of different styles, and while you can note the differences nothing will stand out abnormally. Stick someone in there wearing the styles of the 70s, for example, and suddenly they stand out in an unnatural way. I don't want Superman to unnaturally stand out in that way. I just want him to stand out because he's awesome. But again, I'll have to see it in practice. Maybe it won't stand out much at all.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-18-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I'm just not understanding how Wonder Woman taking group pictures in an old Grecian battle skirt with a sword and shield strapped to her back while next to a robot man is cool, but Superman puts on a pair of red trunks and suddenly uniformity is broken. Superman's suit looks "outdated?" Wonder Woman's suit is nearly B.C., fam.

I imagine it'll still take everyone's eyes time to adjust to the suit in this new setting, and personal taste have to be taken into account, for sure, but I can't see this "broken uniformity" argument at all.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-18-2018 at 01:30 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

I don't find the suit to be outdated, but when it comes to how outdated an aesthetic is, we're dealing with how a look resonates with contemporary audiences not what real world era it's from.

The 90s is a good example of this. If Booster Gold were to start using his 90s power armor, or Wonder Woman were to go back to that biker costume, "outdated" would be a criticism of both those looks, because they were products of their time. Those looks came from what was occurring in comics at the time. Defending them on the grounds that no one really wears power armor, or that Wonder Woman's other look goes back much further wouldn't work because it's not really about what time period a costume is based on or whether anyone ever really dressed that way.

It's like how outdated the future is in old movies, with people wearing shiny aluminium clothes, sometimes covered up so much that you can't even see their hair. It's an outdated aesthetic.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 02-18-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    What exactly is "ODD" about it?... And..."Modern" by who and / or, what standards?
    This guy gets it
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying