Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    For a long time they've been presented as basically not having a care in the world when it comes to their marriage. Its perfect in every way. That's easy to write (or a lot of times, makes it easy to flat out ignore), but its not intriguing. And it certainly doesn't make any semblance of sense, even for a primarily escapist lore.
    Again, totally disagree. It's been a welcome change of pace and I attribute much of DC's success to the fact they've been depicted as a positive loving couple who have been mature enough to cope with extraordinary situations.

Except I'm not suggesting dropping a positive loving couple. Again, challenges do not suggest a negative, miserable couple. Those are two extremes. I don't want the latter anymore than I want the former. I just want a nuanced relationship if its going to exist in this form in the first place. Sweeping cheesy gestures of "time altering love" every once in a while does nothing for me. But that's me, to each their own of course. I just think it needs a lot more depth than that.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-09-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rosawater View Post
    So I think this is just about word for word what he said: So many people are worried about the state of their marriage and the state of their family. You should be. What they are attempting to do is so enormous and it is so delicate, and so precious, and there is so much pressure on them coming from so many different directions. You absolutely should be scared for that delicate, beautiful relationship.

So in full context this sounds more like they will have pressures, disagreements and tension. Their relationship has experience all that before. So for me this isn’t a big deal. As long as the execution isn’t sloppy and it doesn’t get soap operish, I’m fine with this.

That aside, more focus Perry, big plans for Jimmy and his suggestion that he will dive deep into Lois? He has my attention. I’m guessing these are all his plans for Action. I still wonder what will be his plans for Superman.
    Thanks for getting the exact quote, I'll put it in my post and credit you.

BENDIS Teases Nostalgic 1980s-Style Story at DC:

https://www.newsarama.com/38571-bend...ect-at-dc.html

Wonder if this ties in with King's Sanctuary idea.

I don't know how any of this is going to go, but at the very least it sounds interesting. I haven't been intrigued with any news since Rebirth's announcement gutted me (but the good thing about hitting your personal rock bottom is that you know nothing can disappoint you at a higher level!). I've just kinda been along the ride for almost two years now trying to cling to anything to keep me around and trying to give chances to and like things I generally didn't. So hearing teases that interest me right away is a step up for me. Whether they manifest, can only wait and see.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-09-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

As for my own thoughts, I already said to milestogo I didn't think Bendis was going to end the marriage, I just said we'll see drama. The example with Miles parents in Ultimate Spider-Man or Jessica and Luke is probably the best examples to make. I recently just read those issues after Lois gave the engagement ring back to Clark in the 90s and I wonder if we will see similar drama to that, where Lois gets made Clark isn't making enough time for Jon or something.

Also, I'm very happy he's going to focus more on Clark than Superman. I love Superman the best when they focus on Clark wanting to be a human and those attributes than being superman, but I agree with sacred knight, on a balance being nice as well. Also glad to see Lois being important, Bendis mentioning specifically Greg Rucka being one of the best writers on Lois was also nice to see.

Bendis also said while Superman was a literal symbol of truth,justice and the american way, only Clark could actually do those things and so in the current times when we are dealing with a lot of issues with truth and the american way, Clark will be doing journalism to reflect that. I'm really excited by that aspect.

Also he said his back up in action comics 1000 is pretty much a chapter of man of steel and it's a lose you sh*t ending, I'm really curious if it's just going to be Krypton stuff or something else. Also sad he didn't go into anything related to krypton or his origin in the interview.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Really interested in what I've been hearing from Bendis.

Conceptually I'm a big fan of his new focus on Clark. I actually enjoyed his line about reporting being the thing Clark picked for himself. That might ring untrue to some people who go "well, he decided to be Superman!" but, in my view, being something like Superman was a given. With his power, personality, and upbringing, something like Superman would almost have to happen. Being a journalist and being Clark was what he picked. Reminds me of Morrison's Clark from Action where it was explained that he valued how challenging and fulfilling it was to have to find the write words to reach people and be heard. So, thumbs up to Bendis for finding one of the more interesting ways to talk about the whole Clark/Superman thing in an interview.

Also, count me in as someone who is very much ok with his comments on being "worried" about the relationship. The context around what he said is what has my interest. As someone who really liked the family stuff the teams today have been doing, I'm very much into the idea of highlighting the delicate balance that is their lives. It was starting to feel like we'd lost appreciation for how herculean a task being Clark Kent/Superman and his family can be. It sounds like Bendis just wants to highlight and appreciate that daily hustle more, and I can't say I'm not down for it.

And who is this new "Jimmy" character Bendis is talking about? Whoever he is, I suppose I'm interested in his plans for the guy.

Anyways, haven't heard anything from him to give me any sort of concern or to de-hype me, so I'm in there.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Listening now, I'm getting more excited!

We'll see on his Clark/Superman dichotomy. I don't want to go back to a de-emphasis on his role as Superman. I don't want it played purely as obligation and go back to it not being very much part of his true self. What I'm hoping he means with his journalism comments is, as Superlad said, the way Morrison played it. He has to, in general, earn what he gets there. He wasn't just born a reporter, he had to work at it (granted yes he does have advantages, but its not something he's automatically better than everyone at). Superman, on the other hand, is in part who he can be because its in part an innate gift. In regards to his powers which allow him to be a protector to the level he is. He didn't have to work to get his abilities, he always had them. So while its a choice to use them for good, he didn't really have to earn the job, so to speak. It was his if he wanted it (but of course to his immense credit he did indeed want it).

Played like that, I'll be fine if that's his meaning. Just no "Clark is who I am Superman is what I can (have to) do". If we go in that direction that would be my first potential disappointment.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-09-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Astonishing Member

I'm actually looking forward to this. Obviously they won't rip the relationship/family apart or beyond repair. We've seen one aspect of their family life, see some challenges and a little drama can't be bad It all sounds interesting and I'd love for him to actually pull it off.

Well he's got a whole other book dedicated to what sounds to be strictly bombastic Superman adventures, and the other book dedicated to Clark's journalism and life, and so long as that distinction keeps up I have no real issue with who he sees as the "real guy." But from what I'm listening to, the way Bendis describes things is that his name is undoubtedly Clark. That's the name he associates with himself at his most comfortable. Superman and Kal are names and people that other people associate with and aspects of his life. Bendis was very, very keen on emphasizing how multilayered Clark/Superman was as a person, and how that forms the most unique "stew" in pop culture (his words).

That's about the most in my jam answer a creator has given for the Clark/Superman deal while going Clark first that I've heard on the main books. And, again, it's a big plus that he did the most obvious but seldom thought of split for Superman and Action by making them distinctly about the two sides of the guy.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Personally, I don’t see the depiction of the marriage and family in the current run as boring or perfect in every way. For me, it read as a healthy family working as team and being supportive of one another. I think that establishing the family dynamic and showing how well they work together is important since Jon is such a new addition. And I appreciate seeing that. That said, I’m interested in seeing how Bendis , as Superlad93 puts it, highlight the delicate balance that is there lives. I think that would be a natural progression of their story.

On another note: Investigative reporter Clark! How could I forget to mention how excited I am about investigative reporter Clark?! Clark and Lois working on a story or a mystery should be fun. If I get this I can almost forgive them for doing away the reborn suit.

I'm actually looking forward to this. Obviously they won't rip the relationship/family apart or beyond repair. We've seen one aspect of their family life, see some challenges and a little drama can't be bad It all sounds interesting and I'd love for him to actually pull it off.
    Agreed. This could possibly be a very interesting read. I'm here for it.

Thanks for getting the exact quote, I'll put it in my post and credit you.
    Cool! Glad I could help!
    Last edited by rosawater; 02-09-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Well he's got a whole other book dedicated to what sounds to be strictly bombastic Superman adventures, and the other book dedicated to Clark's journalism and life, and so long as that distinction keeps up I have no real issue with who he sees as the "real guy." But from what I'm listening to, the way Bendis describes things is that his name is undoubtedly Clark. That's the name he associates with himself at his most comfortable. Superman and Kal are names and people that other people associate with and aspects of his life. Bendis was very, very keen on emphasizing how multilayered Clark/Superman was as a person, and how that forms the most unique "stew" in pop culture (his words).

That's about the most in my jam answer a creator has given for the Clark/Superman deal while going Clark first that I've heard on the main books. And, again, it's a big plus that he did the most obvious but seldom thought of split for Superman and Action by making them distinctly about the two sides of the guy.
    That sounds pretty much fine. I've never had an issue with him, in terms of name, feeling most comfortable with Clark. T Why wouldn't he, that was his name long before he knew his given name was Kal-El or he got the nickname Superman. My issues come more in getting down to the nuances of his personality in each "guise", pride in both his special heritages, and what not. If he flies around as Superman while still in his internal monologue he calls himself Clark, that's fine. As long as Clark is still equal to how he's acting and what he's doing in the costume, if that makes any sense.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-09-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Can I also say, I'm kind of strangely really glad that Bendis is making the trunks coming back an actual topic of discussion and debate by the public in the books. DC doesn't do that "finger on the plus" of the public thing often enough. Marvel tends to do it far more often, and effectively. You usually have to wait for a creator who's wired that way to bring that stuff in like Priest does beautifully with Justice League. I remember back during the Superman/Wonder Woman days I was really, really into the idea of exploring continued public reaction to the couple, and in all fairness, we got the idea of some of that, but then it shorted out fairly quickly.

I'm hoping for Bendis to make an ongoing debate out of the trunks coming back, but the idea that something like Superman's fashion sense being a topic of discussion in the public is really fun, and a great indication of where his head is gonna be at with one of the books. Going by the descriptions, discussions and fallout like this will be primarily going down in Action Comics, and that's fantastic. It actually reminds me of the 52 weekly from a while back.

With official confirmation Pat Gleason is doing action comics, that makes me so happy. And it really will feel like Pat is doing something fresh since he hardly really drew metropolis or the planet during his Superman run, so him being put on the book that's focusing on that is even more exciting.