Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Had a chance to listen to a big chunk:

- "how did you get the trunks?!" ROFL.
    - that lunch with Jurgens and DiDio sounds great. I wish I heard more about that sort of thing happening.
    - specifically recalling Sook, Gleason, and Reis because of their recent work is sweet. The unity between what will happen and what has happened is really appealing
    - Bendis has all of the IDW collections? That's excellent.
    - he's always mentioned how something being there means it's fair game for the wringer. That sounds logical and exciting... I just hope when the time comes we are understanding. Or at least patient.
    - man, Siuntres loves Lois, haha. I'm glad to hear them discuss her relevance as well as bringing up more Perry (underrated, underused character imo) and Jimmy
    - the return of Clark! I feel like he's been missing for a while and last time I feel like he really showed up, in Truth, was surrounded by more years of him not really meaning much.
    - that Daredevil Batman crossover story was hilarious

Overall, I really love his feedback on the welcome he's been getting at DC, and it's definitely nice that it was there for him during some pretty serious things going on. He's in an optimal place to be writing Superman.

Without spoiling his story, he has made clear that the heart and ear of at least hi Action run will be to the ground of the Metropolis street, and it's a sorely needed spot for attention. I agree in a sense that where being Superman wasn't necessarily a choice considering how he grew up and what gifts he's been given, being a reporter is a true endeavor of personal passion and an effective tool for bolstering anything he can do physically.

I really like he said about Lois. I think her and Clark are best friends and I feel that that gets forgotten in the whole marriage thing. Like, I didn't care that they weren't together in the New 52, but I was disappointed that their friendship was forgotten and that it sometimes even gets lost in favor of just writing her as Superman's wife. The marriage isn't the most interesting thing about Lois.

Also, that MRSA stuff is scary. Glad he got better.

Man they always have to go out of their way to justify him being a reporter when the ONLY reason he took that Job in the first place was so he can know when **** was going down. All you really need now is a Police Scanner and a Smartphone (Or two high tech places with 24 hour monitoring systems like the Watch Tower and Fortress.) Why Not just leave the Reporting to Lois and have Clark be an Author of Young Adult Fiction like J.K. Rowling or Rick Riordan whilst being a stay at home dad? Then you can bring back The Queen of Fables as an Antagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    I really like he said about Lois. I think her and Clark are best friends and I feel that that gets forgotten in the whole marriage thing. Like, I didn't care that they weren't together in the New 52, but I was disappointed that their friendship was forgotten and that it sometimes even gets lost in favor of just writing her as Superman's wife. The marriage isn't the most interesting thing about Lois.

Also, that MRSA stuff is scary. Glad he got better.
    It wasn't forgotten he constantly called her his best friend.
    Last edited by Lokimaru; 02-09-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Notes

-Bendis confirms again he's not rebooting anything and loves the current runs
    Heard that before haven't we? And he can technically not reboot while still throwing a lot of stuff under the bus with the "You thought you knew, but secretly......." crap.

-Bendis confirms Pat Gleason is drawing Action Comics
    Nice. Love his work.

-Bendis wasn't aware of a big trunks controversy, he was just offered if the trunks should be on Superman and he said yes
    Gods damn it. You're killing me smalls! Not even on the book yet!

-Bendis will address the trunks in the comics directly in the comics, people in Metropolis will discuss the trunks and their opinion of them
    .....okay? Could be good, could be terrible depending on how he handles it. Johns did the same kind of meta commentary with Aquaman, and it was great.....until he ran it into the ground.

-Bendis refers to Superman as Clark a lot when he talks about him to editors and firends, will focus a lot more when he's not superman
    Likely the best approach for Bendis. I doubt he could handle a full-blown focus on Superman. He doesn't appear to have the imagination for it.

-Clark being a investigative reporter will be a big part of Bendis run, being a reporter is the first thing Clark really chose for himself according to Bendis.
    This sounds excellent. Clark's job is (should be) a huge part of the Never Ending Battle and it's been underplayed and ignored for far too long.

-Lois will be important, Bendis thinks she is the most fearless person in all of comics
    About damn time.

-On the marriage: "So many people are worried about the state of their marriage and the state of their family. You should be. What they are attempting to do is so enormous and it is so delicate, and so precious, and there is so much pressure on them coming from so many different directions. You absolutely should be scared for that delicate, beautiful relationship." (thanks rosawater for the full quote)
    If its internal drama between Clark and Lois, he can sod off. They are both better than that and have more faith in themselves and each other than that. But the two of them fighting for each other against outside forces? That'd be fine.

-We'll get a lot of Perry's point of view and focus on daily planet as a newspaper(also the dying aspect of newspapers)
    Hell yeah.

-Big Plans for Jimmy, Bendis can't say what yet
    Also Hell yeah.

-Mike Cotton and Brian Cunningham are the editors on his Superman titles
    .....I know the names but can't place what they've done. But! It's not Berganza or Idleson, so welcome! I hope they keep Bendis from his worst excesses. When he's reigned in, he's good. When he's let off the chain and doesn't have any oversight? That's when he starts to suck.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Well he's got a whole other book dedicated to what sounds to be strictly bombastic Superman adventures, and the other book dedicated to Clark's journalism and life, and so long as that distinction keeps up I have no real issue with who he sees as the "real guy." But from what I'm listening to, the way Bendis describes things is that his name is undoubtedly Clark. That's the name he associates with himself at his most comfortable. Superman and Kal are names and people that other people associate with and aspects of his life. Bendis was very, very keen on emphasizing how multilayered Clark/Superman was as a person, and how that forms the most unique "stew" in pop culture (his words).

That's about the most in my jam answer a creator has given for the Clark/Superman deal while going Clark first that I've heard on the main books. And, again, it's a big plus that he did the most obvious but seldom thought of split for Superman and Action by making them distinctly about the two sides of the guy.
    I agree, it sounds like Bendis might have a grasp on the actual character-as-a-whole, which would be fantastic. Perhaps not the exact same grasp as I might have, but close. Honestly, all I ask is that a writer not treat Superman as a complete fabrication that a simple, cornfed idiot farmboy puts on when he needs to.

He's not just "Clark" who puts on a pair of tights. He's not just "Superman" who puts on a pair of glasses. He's both, and neither, equally. And if he refers to himself as "Clark" in his own head, well, that's the name he grew up with so that would make sense.

As long as Bendis doesn't do the "Clark is who I am, Superman is what I can do" troupe, and respects the nuanced, layered nature of the duality, I'll be good. And it sounds like he might actually get it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    .....I know the names but can't place what they've done. But! It's not Berganza or Idleson, so welcome! I hope they keep Bendis from his worst excesses. When he's reigned in, he's good. When he's let off the chain and doesn't have any oversight? That's when he starts to suck.
    Cotton was an assistant editor to Berganza. Cunningham's been a big deal at DC though - basically the editor of the "Justice League" line (i.e. that book, Flash, JLA, Teen Titans, some others), Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Nightwing, and moreover he's pretty much Geoff Johns' right-hand man on stuff like Green Lantern/Aquaman/Doomsday Clock. Hit-or-miss, but he's a Big Deal in terms of the stuff he works with.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Cotton was an assistant editor to Berganza. Cunningham's been a big deal at DC though - basically the editor of the "Justice League" line (i.e. that book, Flash, JLA, Teen Titans, some others), Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Nightwing, and moreover he's pretty much Geoff Johns' right-hand man on stuff like Green Lantern/Aquaman/Doomsday Clock. Hit-or-miss, but he's a Big Deal in terms of the stuff he works with.
    Ah, right!! Okay, now its coming back to me.

So we have a major editor and someone who's new to the promotion but still has experience. Hopefully that'll be enough to keep Bendis in check.

I already have to worry about the stupid stuff Geoff Johns puts Superman through. I dont need to worry about what Clark's own writers will do to him too.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    ..and before that--Wizard Magazine.

Incredible Member

Don't do meta-commentary about the effing trunks, DC. That's not the way to go at all. It's going to reek of him trying to be too clever and in the end will just be awkward and weaken the thing.

That plus the "I call him Clark all time" thing... I dig the idea of Clark the reporter getting more to do, but don't you dare veer into the "Superman's a disguise!" nonsense territory.

I like the sound of everything else.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Not gonna judge till I read the first issue of his comics. If Lobdell can do a turn around with RHatO then hopefully Bendis can do the same wit his writing. I like what he's saying though.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I like that he sees Lois as the most fearless person in comics. If there is anyone in all of comics I want to have their own solo title, it's Lois Lane. She was pretty badass before she became Superman's wife, but being SUPERMAN'S wife...she knows she wont fall...if he doesn't catch her...she's got Wonder Woman, Batman, Green Lantern (or four), Flash...she knows she is all too human, but she also knows she has the most insane backup in the entire universe. I can see that being some of the worry part (at least it's how I would write Lois and from what it sounds how Bendis might.)
    I am looking forward to the run and hope for good things.

Yawn-a-rooney, this sounds boring. I do not understand this obsession writers have with putting Clark front and center. This is superhero comics, people. Civilian identities are a sideshow, a temporary break from the action, that is their purpose. People are here for Superman not the BBC or [insert at least one non-corrupt/shilling-for-their-owners journalistic entity here, if you can find one]. So strike one. Also, meta commentary about trunks that nobody asked for and nobody wanted. Strike two.

Little mention of Jon. That's a plus. I have zero interest in that bland kid. At least Damian has a personality.

More marriage trouble. While I have no affection for the marriage and consider it way past its expiry date, this just sounds like Bendis bringing back Lois Lane from the Pre-Flashpoint era. If they go back to that, don't be surprised to see even more people complaining about the marriage again in several years. Also, why do I get the feeling that Bendis will continue with the stupid trend of artificially inflating Lois' importance and competency? At least he mentioned her bravery, which was best done in the Golden Age. Strike three.

All in all, I'll give Bendis a shot but he's not selling me on his take.
    Last edited by The Red Monk; 02-09-2018 at 08:04 PM.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    That plus the "I call him Clark all time" thing... I dig the idea of Clark the reporter getting more to do, but don't you dare veer into the "Superman's a disguise!" nonsense territory.
    Superman has never been a disguise. He is Clark, he's also Kal-el. The name game misses the forest for the trees. The name of Superman is an invention but as the interview cleverly acknowledges, Superman is not a choice. Not when you consider his inherent sense of justice and the encouragement from all of his family and friends. His powers don't make him Superman, his heart does.

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    Yawn-a-rooney, this sounds boring. I do not understand this obsession writers have with putting Clark front and center. This is superhero comics, people. Civilian identities are a sideshow, a temporary break from the action, that is their purpose.
    Any story at its core is about character. This is one character going by the title of Superman with the legal name of Clark Kent. Whether one believes his personality is better expressed by being socially progressive or lifting buildings overhead is one thing, but if all that's offered is superheroics there's no real reason to read this book over another.

My expectations for the execution of that... I dunno. But I'm optimistic because Bendis has clearly thought a lot about emphasis. It doesn't need to floor with me stuff I have never seen before, but it also doesn't have to be like like what someone else already did. This guy wants to tell a story of what "truth, justice, and the American way" means in 2018. Sounds earnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Whether one believes his personality is better expressed by being socially progressive or lifting buildings overhead is one thing, but if all that's offered is superheroics there's no real reason to read this book over another.
    There is no reason to read one superhero book over another anyway, the only thing that separates them is which character appeals to you more. I repeat, Clark Kent is a sideshow, story wise. The purpose of Superman's civilian life is to give people a brief break before jumping right back into the action.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

And in your opinion, what makes a character appeal more than another?

The purpose of Clark the civilian, as crafted by Jerry Siegel, is accessibility. Clark grew out of his and Shuster's personal lives, and that resonated with readers. Still does, whether you're too awkward to date or happily married. Or anywhere in between.