Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

I'm hoping with Jimmy we get something comparable to the Earth One OGN. Jimmy is a great spot in those books, I'd love to see something similar in the main line.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

So long as Bendis plays up the idea that he's a strange guy with a surprisingly strange life given he has no powers, then I'm more than good. And it sounds like that's what Bendis is going for. He made a point to bring up how Jimmy is very much an oddball, but is also very, very good at his job.

And I gotta say, I'm pretty over the "coffee boy" Jimmy that gets used a bunch when you know the writer has very little to say on what Jimmy brings to the world. And it's a ridiculous take because that Jimmy is also apparently bad at his job to begin with, and that makes no sense given how long he's been doing it.

Hoping for a mix of New Frontier Jimmy meets Kirby Jimmy.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I feel comfortable saying I'm sold on Action, because all that stuff sounds in his wheelhouse. Jimmy might even be the most Bendis character he's never written, to say nothing of bringing his Ben Urich styled newspaper life to the DP.

But given the elaborate response to the world of Clark... might we see something completely separate in Superman? Could Bendis be working on a way to make the stories in Action less reliant on the extreme competency of Superman to flesh all that other stuff out?

From what I understand, he can't speak too much on Superman because that stuff will spoil Action 1000 and Man of Steel. So, while it's obvious he has a very specific take on the Superman side of thing, he can't really say yet, but we know it's described as an "adventure-driven book" for Superman in contrast to the Clark stuff in Action.

But Bendis did say that some of the stories in Action will deal with the ground level view of "how the world of Superman effects the world of DC." I'm very interested in the structure of both books, and how Bendis will play with the dichotomy. Like, will we even see Clark change into Superman at all in Action. What if he largely treats it like he's writing two similar but different characters in both books? That would be a pretty ground breaking idea given the format.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I hope he gets the balance right. If he goes too far that would be really unpleasant. Proper execution may end up making it even better then it is now.
    Speaking from familiarity with his work, Bendis is very good at relationship drama, he can perfectly balance the ups with the downs. He wrote one of the best versions of Peter Parker and Mary Jane I've ever read in Ultimate Spider-Man. They were so full of love for one another that it really made you ache when there was a problem and made you beam with joy when they patched things up. He wrote them very much like a married couple and had characters even refer to them as husband and wife despite the fact they were just teenagers.

If there was any pair of characters I can think of who had a truly delicate and beautiful relationship at Marvel like he describes for Lois and Clark, it's Peter and MJ. There's his pet 'ship Luke Cage and Jessica Jones as well, which also went through some tough times lately, but like with Peter and MJ in Ultimate, you always got the sense they loved each other and did their best to keep the family stable despite a dangerous occupation

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Speaking from familiarity with his work, Bendis is very good at relationship drama, he can perfectly balance the ups with the downs. He wrote one of the best versions of Peter Parker and Mary Jane I've ever read in Ultimate Spider-Man. They were so full of love for one another that it really made you ache when there was a problem and made you beam with joy when they patched things up. He wrote them very much like a married couple and had characters even refer to them as husband and wife despite the fact they were just teenagers.

If there was any pair of characters I can think of who had a truly delicate and beautiful relationship at Marvel like he describes for Lois and Clark, it's Peter and MJ. There's his pet 'ship Luke Cage and Jessica Jones as well, which also went through some tough times lately, but like with Peter and MJ in Ultimate, you always got the sense they loved each other and did their best to keep the family stable despite a dangerous occupation
    If that's the case then it can be something wonderful. I love the present dynamic. But if you are changing that better come up with something which is really good. I hope he brings that kind of work here too.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-10-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    From what I understand, he can't speak too much on Superman because that stuff will spoil Action 1000 and Man of Steel. So, while it's obvious he has a very specific take on the Superman side of thing, he can't really say yet, but we know it's described as an "adventure-driven book" for Superman in contrast to the Clark stuff in Action.

But Bendis did say that some of the stories in Action will deal with the ground level view of "how the world of Superman effects the world of DC." I'm very interested in the structure of both books, and how Bendis will play with the dichotomy. Like, will we even see Clark change into Superman at all in Action. What if he largely treats it like he's writing two similar but different characters in both books? That would be a pretty ground breaking idea given the format.
    I think we’ll get some Superman moments in Action, but the majority of the focus is Clark and the Planet (and I assume the Kent family). I wonder if Superman will be Superman only while Jon shows up in Action a lot.

Also, Bendis is fond of crossing his books over. Either through overt crossovers like Trial of Jean Grey or through little connections like the scene in Daredevil where Black Widow comes to visit Matt and then in Alias you see the scene from Jessica’s point of view because she’s watching the door with Luke Cage.

I’m excited to see Clark zoom off as Superman to fight Brainiac or whoever in Superman and then in Action Comics you see Jimmy on the ground with his camera in the “warzone,” so to speak.

His take on Peter and MJ is the only version I like (I like Black Cat more in the main universe, sue me). If he brings that Clark and Lois, then I’m gonna have a great time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    His take on Peter and MJ is the only version I like (I like Black Cat more in the main universe, sue me). If he brings that Clark and Lois, then I’m gonna have a great time.
    Out of the Peter/MJ depictions I've read, I rank the top three as

1. MC2/Spider-Girl
    2. Newspaper Strip
    3. Ultimate

I liked Felicia in Ultimate too, but she was out of Peter's age range and depth (which Bendis played to great comedic effect)

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    Also, Bendis is fond of crossing his books over. Either through overt crossovers like Trial of Jean Grey or through little connections like the scene in Daredevil where Black Widow comes to visit Matt and then in Alias you see the scene from Jessica’s point of view because she’s watching the door with Luke Cage.
    That's kind of the really interesting part about this whole thing isn't it? Bendis is a fan of crossing over his books that star different characters, but in this case it's two books with two identities of one character. I'd very much like it if we hardly ever saw Clark as Superman in Action Comics (this doesn't include him occasionally using his powers, flying in street clothes to clear his head, or recordings and pictures of Superman in Action) and we hardly saw Superman as Clark in Superman.

Superman's dual identity is both the most recognized and talked/debated about version of the concept of the dual identity, so having each guy be the star of his own book is kind of genius, and makes for surprisingly fascinating crossover potential.

That's kind of the really interesting part about this whole thing isn't it? Bendis is a fan of crossing over his books that star different characters, but in this case it's two books with two identities of one character. I'd very much like it if we hardly ever saw Clark as Superman in Action Comics (this doesn't include him occasionally using his powers, flying in street clothes to clear his head, or recordings and pictures of Superman in Action) and we hardly saw Superman as Clark in Superman.

Superman's dual identity is both the most recognized and talked/debated about version of the concept of the dual identity, so having each guy be the star of his own book is kind of genius, and makes for surprisingly fascinating crossover potential.
    If this is indeed what happens, I'll definitely be interested in seeing it play out from both sides. And honestly, it might even be the best approach for Bendis too, where he can sort of avoid balancing the importance and relevance of Clark/Superman in one book, and instead go all in on one in individual titles.

I was hesitantly optimistic about Bendis taking over Superman (very, very hesitant) but so far he's saying a lot of the right things.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-10-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Again, totally disagree. It's been a welcome change of pace and I attribute much of DC's success to the fact they've been depicted as a positive loving couple who have been mature enough to cope with extraordinary situations.
    You can be a loving couple, but relationships do have pressures and issues from time to time. No relationship is pure bliss 100% of the time. In fact, by inserting such aspects into Lois and Clark's relationship, and showing how they overcome those aspects, reaffirms how deep and strong they are as Husband and Wife. Perhaps moreso than having them loved up all the time. A real marriage takes work. It is why divorce rates are so high. Everybody expects it is all "happily ever after." So as soon as the honeymoon stage passes, and real world problems begin creeping in, those marriages crumble like a house of cards.

So, so long as they don't get divorced (which I don't see happening given the trouble DC went through in bringing it back), then it is okay for a bit of drama to be injected into the proceedings to spice things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If this is indeed what happens, I'll definitely be interested in seeing it play out from both sides. And honestly, it might even be the best approach for Bendis too, where he can sort of avoid balancing the importance and relevance of Clark/Superman in one book, and instead go all in on one in individual titles.

I was hesitantly optimistic about Bendis taking over Superman (very, very hesitant) but so far he's saying a lot of the right things.
    Yeah, it really seems like Bendis is trying his absolute best to set himself up for success while breaking some new ground in this format. The more I think about it the more I'm impressed by how simple and effective this idea for him.

And if my theory on Bendis being more interested in following Kirby's footsteps as a famous Jewish Marvel creator who came to work on Superman, then that might be an indication that he's gonna be playing with some fun concepts that we don't see enough in Superman books. And if you've checked out his Alias book from back in the day, you know he's pretty good when it comes to playing with the absurdity of the universe and grounding it in a way that makes it more tactical in a fun way. His words on Jimmy made me think about his fantastic take on Rick Jones from Alias.

All I can say is that its not only ensured I stick around past Action #1000, it has me somewhat excited and not just tagging along with my hands in my pockets kicking a rock like I have been ever since Rebirth started. Of course I've been excited before only to be let down, but if I am I am. Right now I'm interested, and right now that's enough.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Yeah, it really seems like Bendis is trying his absolute best to set himself up for success while breaking some new ground in this format. The more I think about it the more I'm impressed by how simple and effective this idea for him.

And if my theory on Bendis being more interested in following Kirby's footsteps as a famous Jewish Marvel creator who came to work on Superman, then that might be an indication that he's gonna be playing with some fun concepts that we don't see enough in Superman books. And if you've checked out his Alias book from back in the day, you know he's pretty good when it comes to playing with the absurdity of the universe and grounding it in a way that makes it more tactical in a fun way. His words on Jimmy made me think about his fantastic take on Rick Jones from Alias.
    You know, about six months ago if you had suggested Bendis tackling the New Gods, or any Kirby creation, I think I would have had a heart attack and died at my computer. But King's Mister Miracle is so gods damn good, and its shown a way to explore these characters from a different perspective.....but I still dont think Bendis could pull it off.

But what he could do, and maybe do really well, is explore the New Gods (and other Kirby weirdness) from an outside perspective. What does Jimmy think of the New Gods? What does Clark? Lois? I doubt Bendis has a New Gods story in him....but I bet he could write other characters bumping into the New Gods and make it work.

And yeah, Alias was amazing. I miss *that* Bendis. The guy I've read the last few years.....I think he might be a Skrull, actually. But if the real Bendis has escaped from his captivity and made his way back home and is going back to work? He's more than welcome at my DC Comics.

......perhaps Bendis didn't have a health scare as much as he had an epic battle against an alien shape-shifter and needed time to recover after his victory?

Man, I just read that sentence....I am extremely over-tired.......
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.