Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I'm not sure if you heard the interview yourself or if you're just getting the info secondhand from here, but I feel like it's more than worth noting that Bendis flat out says the marriage is “the eighth-most interesting thing about her.” It's also worth noting that he his comments on the marriage being a source of worry were far more general, and seemed to be only in the interest of highlighting how delicate and beautiful a balance Lois and Clark have to strike and maintain daily. And if the marriage is only like number 8 on The Most Interesting Things About Lois list then I can't imagine he intends for any sort of relationship strains to take up too much of her time.

Super strange how no one felt like mentioning he said that during the interview. But anyways, he was also pretty clear in thinking that she is "the most fearless character in comics."
    Can I be frank with you? Saying Lois is “fearless” is something a lot of men say about her. It’s obvious. A lot of men know that Lois is “strong” and they love to repeat to us in sound bites that she’s strong and fearless. It’s true...but she’s also so much more than that. She’s also kind, sexy, shrewd, funny, honest and warm. Saying Lois is fearless at this juncture is like saying Wonder Woman is the best warrior. It’s all true but these women are so much more than that.

Even saying the marriage is “the 8th most interesting thing about her” sounds good in theory but it’s just another thing men say that I don’t really buy. It sounds like a “feminist” thing to say but it’s not. I don’t know any married women who would actually use those words.

The truth is that it’s completely OK to acknowledge that the relationship that Lois and Clark share is deeply important to them both and that how she’s feels about him and he feels about her is not only interesting but life affirming and intense. We don’t want the Tomasi/Gleason route of her serving pie all the time but we don’t need to act like it doesn’t matter either. And see....that is both my fear and complaint about men telling these stories.

I don’t want or need Lois written as being “fearless” 24/7. That’s a huge burden to put on her and robs her of the vulnerability that makes her who she is anymore than I want her written as some stepford wife serving pies.

All women want—all we have begged for for years—is to have a seat at the table to help portray complex women like Lois (and Diana too bc God knows her book struggles with this too) as real people. And to be given empathetic point of view. And to be allowed to be loving and sexy and struggle and get mad and work hard and love our jobs and our husbands and our kids in a way that feels true.

What would go a lot further with me here from Bendis? Is for him to devote some time to talking about why LOIS is so important as a reporter. We are living through one of the most profound movements for women in history right now with #metoo and a lot of the victims and heroes have been female journalists. I am always happy to see Clark working as a journalist but the public focus right now is not on male reporters. It is not male journalists who are changing the world right now. It’s the Lois Lane’s of the world who are quite literally changing the status quo. Clark Kent is Superman. He’s the best at EVERYTHING. Except journalism. It’s the one thing that he’s not the best at. The one thing where, despite his powers and privileges, he comes in second. And Clark both knows this and celebrates it. It’s one of the BEST things about Clark. He’s the most powerful man in the world but he is not afraid or threatened by the fact that his wife is just better. He’s happy to be her partner. He’s happy to support her. He would be the first to tell you that no investigation is complete unless she’s part of the lead. The worst and most insulting thing that Bendis could do is be so focused on trying to make Clark the hero in every possible way that he forgets this fact. Lois is driving the fight on the ground. Lois is the one leading the charge at the Daily Planet hopefully with Clark as a partner. But there’s literally nothing that would turn me off faster from Bendis than him being so focused on making everything so male centric that he steals that from her. Not in 2018. Not when we are literally living in a revolution right now where women like Lois are changing the world.

Time will tell so I’ll just say what I’ve said before. Representation matters and no middle aged man should be attempting to do anything even remotely controversial with characters like Lois Lane or Wonder Woman without significant female input. These characters mean too much to women and the damage is too great when these guys inevitably mess up.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    What would go a lot further with me here from Bendis? Is for him to devote some time to talking about why LOIS is so important as a reporter.
    He didn't really go into detail or devote any sort of real time into talking about why any of the characters are anything. Lois isn't the exception. At the most whatever specifics he got into were just pretty vague soundbites because this is super early on and not shred of his DC work is in publication yet. I'm not saying he can't do a bad job with Lois, but I am saying that most of what he said was just teaser founder at best. Just the implication of where his head seems to be at is enough for me right now (whole book devoted to Clark, Daily Planet, the city, a Jimmy story with possible Kirby links), but that 100% doesn't have to be enough for you, so yeah. I just wanted to present all of his words fairly to give everyone as much info as possible. Make of it what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yeah, I get it, I plan on listening to it again to at least get the part where Bendis talks about his current health since I skipped out my first time. Did he say anything else about Lois besides the marriage and being fearless? I'm trying to remember myself.
    Nah, not that I can remember. He played everything pretty close to the vest. We'll likely get a lot more info in and after April.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Learner View Post
    Spider Man and Daredevil are street level characters, Bendis is good at writing characters like that. Superman is the strongest being on the planet, so far above street level guys and Bendis hasn't done anything worth mentioning afaik with characters on that level. Bendis might write a great Clark Kent but I am not convinced he can write Superman. I will give him a fair chance, if he messed up, I would be dropping Superman for the first time since new52.
    Depends on how strong he is vs. others. As of now, he's stronger but in the past he had alot of competition with J'onn being the top of mountain.

Incredible Member

Having listened to this podcast, I'm certainly more interested in reading Bendis's take on Superman than I was before. He seems to understand and love the characters, and seems to have the right level of humility/respect and boldness to do something great with his run.

I'm optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    Depends on how strong he is vs. others. As of now, he's stronger but in the past he had alot of competition with J'onn being the top of mountain.
    J'onn has never been as strong as or stronger than Clark as far as I know. They belong in the same tier, but aren't exact physical equals. Martian Manhunter is Supes on steroids and is capable of beating Kal. But that isn't because of his strength but his abilities like telepathy to which Clark doesn't really have an answer.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Although J'onn is technically as or more powerful, Superman has a force of will that can hit psychics with reverb. Or going back further, an inability to be mind controlled. And of course, his senses are extremely difficult to fool. A direct comparison typically isn't favorable to other characters.

He's the big dog when it comes to matching up against most other heroes. Bendis hasn't really written that, but I don't actually believe he needs to betray that in order to write Superman.

Ahem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Go listen on the Word Balloon podcast and let’s discuss it here. Its a long one. 2.5 hours.
    Wow...just seeing this...something to listen to on my commute. I have fallen off on listening to this podcast but they generally have some great creators on there.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Ahem.

I could go on and on, but you get the point.

Martian Manhunter has lots of abilities, but he's not as formidable as Superman, or physically at his level.

Quote Originally Posted by The Learner View Post
    J'onn has never been as strong as or stronger than Clark as far as I know. They belong in the same tier, but aren't exact physical equals. Martian Manhunter is Supes on steroids and is capable of beating Kal. But that isn't because of his strength but his abilities like telepathy to which Clark doesn't really have an answer.
    I agree that J'onn is basically 60% of Superman physically but Clark has always had probably the strongest telepathic resistance in the DCU.

There's plenty of instances, some where Superman has resisted telepathy more than J'onn has, like against Hammond or Despero in Virtue & Vice.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Based on the interview, it sounds like he considers the marriage and supporting a family while being Superman to be a tough challenge, so I'm guessing we'll see some sort of drama, but I'm doubtful he'll actually end the marriage or anything.
    .......... His statement on the Marriage concerns me..... I'm very concerned...... Ending Marriages doesnt seem out of Current Bendis' wheelhouse

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    .......... His statement on the Marriage concerns me..... I'm very concerned...... Ending Marriages doesnt seem out of Current Bendis' wheelhouse
    They're not going to split them up...at least not for the long-term, they're together and supportful of one another in Doomsday Clock. Expect drama, but also expect them to pull through it

Quote Originally Posted by GodofBoredom View Post

I could go on and on, but you get the point.

Martian Manhunter has lots of abilities, but he's not as formidable as Superman, or physically at his level.

I could go on, but I've made my point.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Can [this character] and [insert Kryptonian] beat each other is a little too far outside the point and worse... at least construct a post around context. Not like World's Finest #212 where they fight under a red sun, lol

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I could go on, but I've made my point.
    lol, did you just try to post out of context scans and pass them as valid? Only one of them actually canon, and that just a statement?

Hahaha. That's hilarious.

Statements do not substitute facts, my friend, especially when J'onn has lost against every kryptonian he has ever met.

Fantastic Member

Sorry for the derail Kugawaton, I tried removing my scans after I saw you edited the first batch, but my post was gone by then.

You know, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to address this myth :P

Back to the thread, I'm actually excited, even though I haven't liked Bendis in years. That's because I know that when he is in the zone, he can produce great quality material, and his love for the character gives me a lot of hope.

I've been burned with JMS before, but we'll see how this goes.

It's weird seeing Action Comics and Superman reversed, with the latter being the ACTION part, but it doesn't really matter, since he's on both.

Can't say I'm excited about the new Man of Steel. Wasn't a fan of Byrne's, even if I understand its importance, for the good and bad. He should have just went for it and hit the ground running, instead of doing another "origin" story, if that's what it will be. If there's something the Superman line no longer needs, it's convolution, and I don't know how another that type of story will help.
    Last edited by GodofBoredom; 02-12-2018 at 02:59 PM.