Default Golden Age Tarantula (John Law) Appreciation Thread

He may not have been DC's first character named "Tarantula" (a villain Sandman fought in Adventure Comics #40 in 1939 came first), but in 1941 DC introduced the heroic character named "Tarantula" in Star Spangled Comics #1 (October 1941) .

To be continued . . .

In his secret identity, Tarantula was John Law, a mystery writer.

As for his Golden Age career as a crime-fighter, that only lasted for a couple of years (until Star Spangled Comics#19 (April 1943)).

But he was the subject of a "Fact File" that ran in a few comic books back in 1968.

And one of his Golden Age stories was reprinted in World's Finest Comic #207 (November 1971).

But in 1981, Roy Thomas would breathe new life into the character as part of the All-Star Squadron.

About the Tarantula's costume, . . .

He started wearing it with his first appearance in Star Spangled Comics #1 (cover-dated October 1941).

The Golden Age Sandman (Wes Dodds) dropped his green business suit-and-gas mask outfit and adopted a yellow/gold-and-purple outfit (initially with a cape!) in Adventure Comics #69 (cover-dated December 1941).

When Roy Thomas started using Tarantula in All-Star Squadron, the idea of Sandman and Tarantula having very similar outfits did come up. Then, in All-Star Squadron #24 (August 1983), a new costume for Tarantula was retconned/revealed!

Still later, Roy would retcon/reveal the reason for why the Tarantula's outfit was so similar to Sandman.

And his costume was altered again slightly for THE GOLDEN AGE by James Robinson and Paul Smith. I still prefer the ALL-STAR version though.

I’ve always been interested in the Tarantula. Comics’ first wall-crawler/web-slinger. Plus the revamped costume was pretty cool. I wish DC would have made a bigger effort to utilize the character. I guess it was still during a time when the Big 2 weren’t so open about using similar characters. It would have been cool to see The New Age of Heroes use Tarantula instead of Sideways as their Spider-Man stand in.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It would have been cool to see The New Age of Heroes use Tarantula instead of Sideways as their Spider-Man stand in.
    But if they're trying to give us a younger hero who reads like/sounds like early Spider-Man, Tarantula wouldn't fit.
    He had the Spider-Man-like abilities and gimmicks, not to mention a spider name, but that's where it ends unless the character is TOTALLY reimagined/cannibalized.

I remember really liking the All-Star costume, as well.
    The origin issue made him one of my favorite members of the team.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Great thread, interesting read on a character I didn't know much about. Wonder if we will see either version of Tarantula (Law or Flores) in the Rebirth era?
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    Great thread, interesting read on a character I didn't know much about. Wonder if we will see either version of Tarantula (Law or Flores) in the Rebirth era?
    I doubt we'd see John Law unless they reinstate the Golden Age heroes (beyond possibly the JSA) sometime in the future.

A "modern" version of Tarantula (Catalina Flores) was present under the New 52/DCYou run by Benjamin Percy in Green Arrow, so she may still be a round.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    . . . As for his Golden Age career as a crime-fighter, that only lasted for a couple of years (until Star Spangled Comics#19 (April 1943))...
    From issue #19,

From Star-Spangled Comics #13 (October 1942):

You have to wonder how many characters have been referred to as "The Fly" . . .

I became a big fan of Tarantula's when he was re-introduced in ALL-STAR SQUADRON. I chuckled when Roy Thomas reminded us all that he was actually referred to as a "Spider-Man" by a newspaper or radio announcer in-story in one of his original appearances. Heh. That and the fact that he had Dr. Doome appear in ALL-STAR always tickled me.

from Who's Who Vol. XXIII (January 1987):

Tarantula first started to play a major role in All-Star Squadron #18 (February 1983).

There was much made in that issue about the resemblance between Tarantula's and Sandman's costumes, with a few mistaken identifications of Tarantula as Sandman.
    Even the villain of the issue made that mistake.

As for the bad guy, he had previously appeared back in Adventure Comics #75 (June 1942).

from Star-Spangled Comics #2 (November 1941):