Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G-Potion View Post
    Would it change anything though because the big issue was still the idea of Robin being disapproved by main writers at the time.
    No it would not in fact if the Starlin had his way there would be no Robin after they got rid of Dick. And to this day the role of Robin is still divisive.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Would it change anything though because the big issue was still the idea of Robin being disapproved by main writers at the time.
    We'll never really know of course but I tend to think that it wouldn't have mattered if Tim had been Robin 2.0. I think he still would have been in danger of being taken off the board because the writers themselves wanted to return to a Batman working solo. The fans also probably would not have been very accepting of Tim, no matter how he was handled, anymore than they were of Jason because he would have still been seen as replacing Grayson. He very well could have been the one that died at the hands of the Joker because some SOB fan set their computer to redial the number to vote for his demise.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

No Robin would be better accepted after coming after Grayson. Regardless of what you think of the character as a big star or not, he`s got historical value and seniority at DC over nearly any other character. The number of writers and fans who turned writers that grew up with him in the lead go further than two generations, easily.

Tim was well received because of what happened to Jason. Carrie Kelley was well received because of the story and what happened to Jason. You can mention Dick here if you like but to a much lesser extent.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    We'll never really know of course but I tend to think that it wouldn't have mattered if Tim had been Robin 2.0. I think he still would have been in danger of being taken off the board because the writers themselves wanted to return to a Batman working solo. The fans also probably would not have been very accepting of Tim, no matter how he was handled, anymore than they were of Jason because he would have still been seen as replacing Grayson. He very well could have been the one that died at the hands of the Joker because some SOB fan set their computer to redial the number to vote for his demise.
    That's true. Any Robins coming after would commit the crime of replacing Dick in addition to being an unwelcomed element to the writers at the time. Regardless of Tim's upbringing, they could always set him up to have flaws that "justifies" being killed for, the way they did Jason.

Okay, thoughts on this issue, spoilers:
    as I assumed the date was a ruse.......Mostly . The dinner conversations were cute and we find a smidge more info about Jasons depressing childhood as he once again kills the mood, theres even a callback to issue 7 and his drunken state which i found funny. But more importantly, Artemis and Jason finally talking about Biz was a conversation long in the making, and I feel like this extra layer of caution they now share will only increase the tension, though I still wonder just how clueless they each are to the severity of it all? Also the villian that was introduced, Solitary or something, have I seen him somewhere else before? He looked familar.

Also theres more cute jiminy pup pup cricket

end of spoilers

Can't read the spoiler as I don't have the issue yet. But I do see the smileys. Feel good!

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Also the villian that was introduced, Solitary or something, have I seen him somewhere else before? He looked familar.[/spoil]
    spoilers:
    Solitaire.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Dark_Tzitzimine; 02-13-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    spoilers:
    Solitaire.
    end of spoilers
    Cheers, I only got a skim through the book before I had to head out.

So.....is he new? Or am I just not recognising him?

Can't read the spoiler as I don't have the issue yet. But I do see the smileys. Feel good!
    I have the issue "Purchased" but for some reason I'm not able to download it on my computer or iPhone...frustrating.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Ok, that was a pretty cute issue and one that was so much more satisfying than the previous one.

Lobdell is playing it smart with the shipping, not sinking the ship and making it more of a really slow burn, and if nothing else, it did confirm that Jason is indeed crushing on Artemis. I liked the nod to the previous adventures although I still find the idea of bringing the Squad and Batwoman's team onboard to be a complete waste of time and space that could've used to properly develop other plot points. Bizarro losing his marbles is genuinely unsettling (it reminds me of the freakouts at Trainspotting or Requiem for a Dream). We get a subtle set up for the whole henchman app and the introduction of a new adversary for the Outlaws.

On the art side, Takara did a good work but I don't like how sketchy the issue feel at times and the coloring was pretty flat. We definitely need Soy and Gandini back.

BANNED

Has this guy showed up before?

spoilers:
    Very good issue. Satisfying "date" and it does advance the story considerably. First thing, I love the art. I love how different Artemis looks when she's acting or trolling Jason, and when she's serious. Even Jason looks so good. I love that he can look so much like a celebrating criminal mastermind drinking with Artemis in one panel and then adorable in the next.

This issue follows up from #18 in being more and more disturbing. How can there be so much cuteness and creepiness in the same issue . Bizarro and the new guy, holy cow!! This guy said he brought the Outlaws together? Is he our mysterious man here?

The conversation regarding Bizarro finally happens and I'm glad that Lobdell has held off until now. With the reveal that Bizarro has eyes and ears everywhere, it makes sense that Jason hasn't said anything despite knowing something was off right from the beginning. That's why all the previous issues, Bizarro almost always say something about Artemis suspecting but nothing specifically about Jason. Ultimately, Jason is still the detective and the more patient of the gang, while Artemis is more open and direct in her concern.

Pup pup on a boat. I can't.

Jason looks tiny in the last page.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by G-Potion; 02-14-2018 at 09:33 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Okay, thoughts on this issue, spoilers:
    as I assumed the date was a ruse.......Mostly . The dinner conversations were cute and we find a smidge more info about Jasons depressing childhood as he once again kills the mood, theres even a callback to issue 7 and his drunken state which i found funny. But more importantly, Artemis and Jason finally talking about Biz was a conversation long in the making, and I feel like this extra layer of caution they now share will only increase the tension, though I still wonder just how clueless they each are to the severity of it all? Also the villian that was introduced, Solitary or something, have I seen him somewhere else before? He looked familar.

Also theres more cute jiminy pup pup cricket

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    They aren`t really clueless. I called it awhile ago but Jason just pretends to be clueless because he has faith in Bizarro and Artemis pretends to be clueless because she has faith that Jason is keeping the eye on him. I need to re-read a second time but apart from Solitary creating the Henchmen App I was a bit taken back by his comment of setting the three up together to serve his plans. Does that make him the person that Bizarro has tried to shield from Jason and has misteriously been on them from the start?
    end of spoilers

Other non spoilery considerations:

Yup Loedbell can say what he says but he`s playing with the ship, which is smart. It got fans and gets attention and got detractors and gets attention. They may not end up together as far as Loedbell aims at but he`s not shelving it either. Pretty much the tv trope of "will they won`t they". What I find interesting is whether he believes these two can even have a relationship or not or even the charcaters themselves they absolutely hint positively at mutual attraction.

As if it wasn`t obvious already

Pup Pup continues to be a mpv of the book by making scenes that would otherwise read like a Dr Frankenstein experiment feel ligther. Good use of dark humor and I hope he sticks around for Bizarro. Heads up with Luthor confirming what we suspected as well: the whole thing was a setup by Bizarro but the amazing meat of the issue is how funtastic playfull Jason and Artemis date is. Mostly a ruse but she wanted the cake too!

We all love Soy but can we appreciate the fantastic artist we got here? Hope it comes more often in downbeat issues because i loved everything about it, even the classic flat coloring.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    spoilers:
    Solitaire.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I wonder if Loedbell too inspiration on a bad guy from the classic Phantom 2040 animated show that was a triface gangster called Cabal but here he seems to play on the concept of just being one person moving quickly in time creating the ilusion of the three faces staring at you.

And how powerful is this guy to simply knock Bizarro out cold for twenty minutes?
    end of spoilers

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

spoilers:
    Very good issue. Satisfying "date" and it does advance the story considerably. First thing, I love the art. I love how different Artemis looks when she's acting or trolling Jason, and when she's serious. Even Jason looks so good. I love that he can look so much like a celebrating criminal mastermind drinking with Artemis in one panel and then adorable in the next.

This issue follows up from #18 in being more and more disturbing. How can there be so much cuteness and creepiness in the same issue . Bizarro and the new guy, holy cow!! This guy said he brought the Outlaws together? Is he our mysterious man here?

The conversation regarding Bizarro finally happens and I'm glad that Lobdell has held off until now. With the reveal that Bizarro has eyes and ears everywhere, it makes sense that Jason hasn't said anything despite knowing something was off right from the beginning. That's why all the previous issues, Bizarro almost always say something about Artemis suspecting but nothing specifically about Jason. Ultimately, Jason is still the detective and the more patient of the gang, while Artemis is more open and direct in her concern.

Pup pup on a boat. I can't.

Jason looks tiny in the last page.
    end of spoilers
    I like it how Lobdell isn't going to throw away the possibilities of Jasona dn Artemis being together boo hoo to Shawn James and Matej Solka. Still it was so goo that they showed that Jason pretty much still holds onto the training h received from Batman. The Outlaws are going places I tell you I hope this line up becomes a classic one just like the founding Justice League line up. You would think that this was unimaginative idea to create a dark mirror of the Trinity yet it works on so many levels.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he