Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about Thrawn Comic Issue #1

http://www.starwars.com/news/see-the...lusive-preview

So I see this in the above post of what's releasing and I've always been an Admiral Thrawn fan from the past.

But??? I see Marvel is doing this. So, is this story releasing now in the new official Star Wars canon? Confused?

I've only been collecting the official Disney/Marvel canon stuff since it restarted a couple years ago.

Where does this new story stand? Legacy or Canon?
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl_70 View Post

So I see this in the above post of what's releasing and I've always been an Admiral Thrawn fan from the past.

But??? I see Marvel is doing this. So, is this story releasing now in the new official Star Wars canon? Confused?

I've only been collecting the official Disney/Marvel canon stuff since it restarted a couple years ago.

I don't see what's there to be confused about, Disney has said their comics and cartoons are part of canon so then if they are putting this out then it's in continuity. That doesn't mean all Thrawn stories are in play but this one and what we've seen in Rebels are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl_70 View Post

It's canon; it's a graphic novel adaptation of the canonical novel Thrawn (whether it adds anything to the novel or is just a short summary of it remains to be seen).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Basically, the first chapter of the novel-Thrawn tricking the Imperials in the forest-is an adaptation of Zahn's short story "Mist Encounter" (Where the Empire first finds the exiled Thrawn and are amazed at his cleverness), but of course re-worked into the new canon and with some new characters that become part of the novel.

Funny thing is, Mist Encounter itself was slightly re-edited after the prequels to fix some continuity issues, so the version in the Thrawn novel is the third version of the story, and this is pretty much the fourth (although pretty much just an adaptation of the third)

I've been reading the novel myself for a while now. There's certainly an effort to tie heavily into "Rebels", as one of the characters in the novel is Pryce, the Rebels villain who looks a lot like Cate Blanchett's Spalko from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 02-10-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Thanks for answering guys! I look forward to buying in in about a year or so when the collection comes out in Hardcover.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Well, I know the next Star Wars comic I'm buying! Art looks really good too!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Basically, the first chapter of the novel-Thrawn tricking the Imperials in the forest-is an adaptation of Zahn's short story "Mist Encounter" (Where the Empire first finds the exiled Thrawn and are amazed at his cleverness), but of course re-worked into the new canon and with some new characters that become part of the novel.

Funny thing is, Mist Encounter itself was slightly re-edited after the prequels to fix some continuity issues, so the version in the Thrawn novel is the third version of the story, and this is pretty much the fourth (although pretty much just an adaptation of the third)

I've been reading the novel myself for a while now. There's certainly an effort to tie heavily into "Rebels", as one of the characters in the novel is Pryce, the Rebels villain who looks a lot like Cate Blanchett's Spalko from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
    I just read the comic, and I was impressed. It looked good and did an excellent job of staying true to Thrawn's character.

Thrawn's no stranger to comics, either-Dark Horse did a pretty decent adaptation of the trilogy in in the mid 90's. In particular, I think the standard 'look' of Mara Jade was largely based on the comic version; Previous versions of her (and even the covers of the Hand of Thrawn doulogy) in a green dress made her look like she belonged in some fantasy novel, rather than a smuggler.

The comics did have a bit of artistic licence; the Noghri in particular are huge.

The character of Eli in particular is a bit like Palleon, as another fan put it, the Watson to Thrawn's Holmes. A bit of a second banana, but one who still enjoys his friend's brilliance.

The new Thrawn series is really good. I really like how they draw Thrawn and how they capture his calculating nature and intelligence in his eyes. Check some of the images(https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...3/17/thrawn-1/) and if you haven't read it, I totally recommend it!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Thrawn's no stranger to comics, either-Dark Horse did a pretty decent adaptation of the trilogy in in the mid 90's. In particular, I think the standard 'look' of Mara Jade was largely based on the comic version; Previous versions of her (and even the covers of the Hand of Thrawn doulogy) in a green dress made her look like she belonged in some fantasy novel, rather than a smuggler.

The comics did have a bit of artistic licence; the Noghri in particular are huge.

The character of Eli in particular is a bit like Palleon, as another fan put it, the Watson to Thrawn's Holmes. A bit of a second banana, but one who still enjoys his friend's brilliance.
    Palleon is in now as well, as he was mentioned in Rebels, I think he had one line in the finale before communications were interrupted.

This comic series is really looking good. Issue #2 shows a lot more how forward thinking of a tactician Thrawn is. He's already making moves to put himself in Tarkin's good books, and he's only a junior officer on his first posting(https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...3/21/thrawn-2/).

Issue #3 focuses on Pryce, and has Thrawn in a supporting role. Kind of weird seeing this, but I'm hoping it makes sense and has a good payoff as the series moves on.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...4/18/thrawn-3/

Yeah, the novel kind of does that too-they're kind of co-villains in Rebels so this kind of shows the beginnings of their relationship/rivalry.

It was nice to have, and explains some of the familiarity that Pryce had with Thrawn in Rebels.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I wasn't as enamored with the third issue as everyone else it seems. I'm a huge fan of Timothy Zahn's Star Wars books so when I saw he was going back to retell Thrawn's story in the new continuity I jumped right on the new novel last year, and I don't regret it as it was easily just as smart and suspenseful as his prior outings. One of it's main draw backs however was it's choppy, episodic structure that would jump through time and switch character points of view both with out warning. With the length of a novel those choppy transitions were smoothed out with the length of the page count available, making you forget the choppy start until the next transition, however Houser's comic book adaptation doesn't have that luxury and it comes out seriously worse for the wear for that flaw.
    I think this is really one of those rare occasions where an adaptation would be much better served by playing looser with the source material rather than attempting to adapt everything, right down to the structure. If instead of jumping around to Pryce and trying to tell her story too Houser would have served the story much better by streamlining the whole time table of the novel by focusing only on Eli and Thrawn, giving them time to grow as characters and condensing the pacing down with out the time skips to tell a more succinct version of the back and forth battle with Nightswan. With the narrative playing out like it did here in the future however I don't think I'll be sticking around, which is a pity as Thrawn is a great character and the intrigue here could be fantastic in the right hands.

Good points. I agree, having an issue focused on Pryce seemed a out of place in a 6 issue series. Issue #4 gets back to the good stuff with the focus back entirely on Thrawn.

Not to mention he finally gets the Chimaera!

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...5/16/thrawn-4/
    Last edited by sirmarkus; 05-15-2018 at 10:39 PM.