Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Should Lex Luthor learn magic?

Before this radical idea gets automatically shouted down, hear me out.

Lex Luthor is sometimes called "The Smartest Man In The World". He is certainly a man of science (or psuedo-sci-fi science at least), but I don't think that precludes him from realizing that, in the DCU, magic is a) very real, b) very powerful and c) imminently useful against Superman.

Sure, Luthor is often shown to be a scientist in the same vein (but not same level) as Reed Richards, or an engineer on the same level as Tony Stark. I mean, the best versions of the dude, IMHO, are the ones that show off his unmatched intellectual versatility.

And, in a way, it kinda makes sense that Luthor would learn certain types of useful magic (let's face it, sci-fi science is so non-scientific it may as well BE magic) for his own gain. I believe that Luthor would subscribe to the belief that there is no knowledge that is not power, and if said knowledge offers access to resources that Superman is not automatically invulnerable to, then Lex would and should pursue it.

Certain kinds of magic would be ruled out, or at least done with extreme caution: any magic that could lead to Lex being beholden to any sapient entity, be it demon, god, spirit, or cosmic being, would not be his first choice. But other kinds of magic, where one did not have to be born homo magi, could and should be available to him.

Victor von Doom is both Scientist and Sorceror over at Marvel, and that adds to his particular brand. Lex Luthor can definitely be ... ambidextrous when it comes to both science and magic. Imagine Lex armed with a spell that automatically absorbs/drains super-speed: suddenly Kryptonian (or Speed-Force or Amazonian) superspeed movements are taken off the table in a physical confrontation.

There is no ironclad reason why Lex Luthor shouldn't be DC's premiere techno-mage.

I see what you're saying, and it would make sense given that magic is one of Superman's biggest weaknesses. But if Luthor learned magic, especially to the level of Dr. Doom, he'd be overpowered to the point that it'd be ridiculous.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

While Lex becoming a kind of magician could actually make me appreciate him as a vilain again, when I find him a lot more interesting as an anti-hero, I don't think he would truly dable in it. I think that, just like Batman, Lex probably find magic too unpredictable, no matter how it's used or what its source is. I think that both are too scientific and methodological in their purpose to actually appreciate or wield magic. They can understand it, pursue artifacts or something, but using spells and the likes would be a no go for them, IMHO.

Astonishing Member

Outside of a single story line.... No I don't think I'd like it. I figure Luthor would be too leary of the forces and entities that one must cajole , invoke and extort and wheedle with to be a magic user of any note..... and then of course there's all the cajoling and extortion and weedling that one must withstand from those same forces and entities. Seems more like his style to hire a magic user.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

No. To someone like Lex that would be like admitting that he has to cheat to beat Superman. Lex prides himself on just being an ordinary human being and not some alien or other superpowered being. Everything Lex has built is because he is one of the smartest men alive and if he admits that that is not good enough to outwit Superman than he would see himself as a failure.

Plus magic is just way to easy of a copout. I hated that they made that one of Doctor Dooms defining features.

No, Luthor I think doesn't believe in magic he is a guy who only believes in logic

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    No, Luthor I think doesn't believe in magic he is a guy who only believes in logic
    But why do you say this? Its illogical for Luthor to not to believe in magic when magic clearly exists in DC universe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Then why is he evil and does he hate Superman?

You make strong points. Luthor shall do everything within his means to put down Superman. And magic is so useful against Superman. How could Luthor never think of magic? Especially when he is this obsessed with removing Superman out of his way.

There must be some kind of imaginary story or something which tackles this. It seems so obvious from the point of Luthor's character that not using it seems weird. Unless there is a strong reason about why he abhors magic i can see no reason he won't ever consider this. From the point of view of writing there has to be a strong reason why it could diminish the character of Luthor or the stories. Otherwise, i see no reason against Luthor using magic.

I will have to think more, if i could find any fault with it. One thing that comes to mind immediately is that he has to 'learn' magic. If he has some kind of natural aptitude for it like a mutant that can take away something from this.

One of the ways Luthor is an awesome villain is that apart from his exceptional genius he is an ordinary man. As he points that he is a self made man. Superman gets almost everything by his heritage. Even his costume. But Luthor had to work for it. He is not entirely correct. He has that special brain which ordinary people can't have even with all hard work. But that's part of his vanity.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-10-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post

Sylvester Dodd (Scorpion) so reminds me of Quitely's Clark Kent

Lex would have some very good reasons to learn everything he can about magic. 1.) curiosity, Lex is first & foremost a scientist. He knows that magic exists, in his universe. There is no way that a scientist as brilliant as Lex can simply ignore it. 2.) self defense, why take the chance that a magic user might target Lex. A powerful magic user might could find ways to kill or control Lex. Or to take his genius away from him. Either by transferring it to themselves, or simply eliminating it. Making Lex a completely ordinary person. 3.) magic that can affect Superman is powered by energies that he can't trace. Sure, Lex wants his eventual victory over Superman to be a monument to his genius. Superman can see the entire electromagnetic spectrum. When Lex uses remote control to attack Superman, he can't use radio. Superman would easily trace the radio waves back to Lex's hideout.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

So, I was watching the newly rebooted DUCKTALES cartoon (highly recommended, btw), and there was a scene in one of the episodes that went something like this:

Scrooge McDuck's Vulture Accountants: Why is the company spending millions of dollars each year on "magical defenses"???

Scrooge McDuck: Do you have any idea how many curses and magical enemies I have to defend myself from???

And just like that, I have a new reason for Lex to learn music: forget Superman, this guy has made all sorts of enemies along the way, including magical ones who wouldn't hold back like Supes does.

Lex *has* to learn magic, or at least keep powerful mystical artifacts on his person (maybe integrated into that bomb-proof suit he wears) for his own protection from his magic-wielding enemies.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

No. I feel that the character of Lex Luthor, or at least my ideal Lex Luthor, that has been portrayed in the comics, relies on the full extent of his human limitations in contrast with Superman, whose power is derived from alien origins.

Nobody, no matter how smart, masters all fields of knowledge.

And the ability to use magic at a useful level may be limited by traits other than intelligence.

And, on a meta-level, magic is not part of Luthor's archetype. He's a scientist and a businessman.

He should hire people who can do magic for him.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/