Before this radical idea gets automatically shouted down, hear me out.

Lex Luthor is sometimes called "The Smartest Man In The World". He is certainly a man of science (or psuedo-sci-fi science at least), but I don't think that precludes him from realizing that, in the DCU, magic is a) very real, b) very powerful and c) imminently useful against Superman.

Sure, Luthor is often shown to be a scientist in the same vein (but not same level) as Reed Richards, or an engineer on the same level as Tony Stark. I mean, the best versions of the dude, IMHO, are the ones that show off his unmatched intellectual versatility.

And, in a way, it kinda makes sense that Luthor would learn certain types of useful magic (let's face it, sci-fi science is so non-scientific it may as well BE magic) for his own gain. I believe that Luthor would subscribe to the belief that there is no knowledge that is not power, and if said knowledge offers access to resources that Superman is not automatically invulnerable to, then Lex would and should pursue it.

Certain kinds of magic would be ruled out, or at least done with extreme caution: any magic that could lead to Lex being beholden to any sapient entity, be it demon, god, spirit, or cosmic being, would not be his first choice. But other kinds of magic, where one did not have to be born homo magi, could and should be available to him.

Victor von Doom is both Scientist and Sorceror over at Marvel, and that adds to his particular brand. Lex Luthor can definitely be ... ambidextrous when it comes to both science and magic. Imagine Lex armed with a spell that automatically absorbs/drains super-speed: suddenly Kryptonian (or Speed-Force or Amazonian) superspeed movements are taken off the table in a physical confrontation.

There is no ironclad reason why Lex Luthor shouldn't be DC's premiere techno-mage.