Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55
  1. #1
    Legendary Member daBronzeBomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Usually at the End of Time
    Posts
    3,659

    Default Should Lex Luthor learn magic?

    Before this radical idea gets automatically shouted down, hear me out.

    Lex Luthor is sometimes called "The Smartest Man In The World". He is certainly a man of science (or psuedo-sci-fi science at least), but I don't think that precludes him from realizing that, in the DCU, magic is a) very real, b) very powerful and c) imminently useful against Superman.

    Sure, Luthor is often shown to be a scientist in the same vein (but not same level) as Reed Richards, or an engineer on the same level as Tony Stark. I mean, the best versions of the dude, IMHO, are the ones that show off his unmatched intellectual versatility.

    And, in a way, it kinda makes sense that Luthor would learn certain types of useful magic (let's face it, sci-fi science is so non-scientific it may as well BE magic) for his own gain. I believe that Luthor would subscribe to the belief that there is no knowledge that is not power, and if said knowledge offers access to resources that Superman is not automatically invulnerable to, then Lex would and should pursue it.

    Certain kinds of magic would be ruled out, or at least done with extreme caution: any magic that could lead to Lex being beholden to any sapient entity, be it demon, god, spirit, or cosmic being, would not be his first choice. But other kinds of magic, where one did not have to be born homo magi, could and should be available to him.

    Victor von Doom is both Scientist and Sorceror over at Marvel, and that adds to his particular brand. Lex Luthor can definitely be ... ambidextrous when it comes to both science and magic. Imagine Lex armed with a spell that automatically absorbs/drains super-speed: suddenly Kryptonian (or Speed-Force or Amazonian) superspeed movements are taken off the table in a physical confrontation.

    There is no ironclad reason why Lex Luthor shouldn't be DC's premiere techno-mage.

  2. #2

    Default

    I see what you're saying, and it would make sense given that magic is one of Superman's biggest weaknesses. But if Luthor learned magic, especially to the level of Dr. Doom, he'd be overpowered to the point that it'd be ridiculous.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Soubhagya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,054

    Default

    You make strong points. Luthor shall do everything within his means to put down Superman. And magic is so useful against Superman. How could Luthor never think of magic? Especially when he is this obsessed with removing Superman out of his way.



    There must be some kind of imaginary story or something which tackles this. It seems so obvious from the point of Luthor's character that not using it seems weird. Unless there is a strong reason about why he abhors magic i can see no reason he won't ever consider this. From the point of view of writing there has to be a strong reason why it could diminish the character of Luthor or the stories. Otherwise, i see no reason against Luthor using magic.

    I will have to think more, if i could find any fault with it. One thing that comes to mind immediately is that he has to 'learn' magic. If he has some kind of natural aptitude for it like a mutant that can take away something from this.



    One of the ways Luthor is an awesome villain is that apart from his exceptional genius he is an ordinary man. As he points that he is a self made man. Superman gets almost everything by his heritage. Even his costume. But Luthor had to work for it. He is not entirely correct. He has that special brain which ordinary people can't have even with all hard work. But that's part of his vanity.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-10-2018 at 11:12 AM.

  4. #4
    Mighty Member Korath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    1,801

    Default

    While Lex becoming a kind of magician could actually make me appreciate him as a vilain again, when I find him a lot more interesting as an anti-hero, I don't think he would truly dable in it. I think that, just like Batman, Lex probably find magic too unpredictable, no matter how it's used or what its source is. I think that both are too scientific and methodological in their purpose to actually appreciate or wield magic. They can understand it, pursue artifacts or something, but using spells and the likes would be a no go for them, IMHO.

  5. #5
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Outside of a single story line.... No I don't think I'd like it. I figure Luthor would be too leary of the forces and entities that one must cajole , invoke and extort and wheedle with to be a magic user of any note..... and then of course there's all the cajoling and extortion and weedling that one must withstand from those same forces and entities. Seems more like his style to hire a magic user.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,881

    Default

    No. To someone like Lex that would be like admitting that he has to cheat to beat Superman. Lex prides himself on just being an ordinary human being and not some alien or other superpowered being. Everything Lex has built is because he is one of the smartest men alive and if he admits that that is not good enough to outwit Superman than he would see himself as a failure.

    Plus magic is just way to easy of a copout. I hated that they made that one of Doctor Dooms defining features.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Mutant God's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    No, Luthor I think doesn't believe in magic he is a guy who only believes in logic
    Skeeter: Hey time traveling O5 members of the X-Men We don't take kindly to people who create a time paradox around here!

    Bartender: Now calm down Skeeter they aint hurtin nobody.

    Skeeter: No! I wanna know som'in from the "O5" How come you cant go back to your own timeline in the first place and how come when Reed Richards "fixed" the universe you wasnt put back and how come the changes that happn to you dont happn to your present day selves?

    Bartender: Skeeter I dont want trouble

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member Soubhagya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    No, Luthor I think doesn't believe in magic he is a guy who only believes in logic
    But why do you say this? Its illogical for Luthor to not to believe in magic when magic clearly exists in DC universe.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member Korath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    1,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    But why do you say this? Its illogical for Luthor to not to believe in magic when magic clearly exists in DC universe.
    Yup. I mean, Batman is a logical guy too (World's greatest detective and all that) but he does believe in magic. He admits it exist, that it isn't extremely evolved science but actually something else alltogether... but doesn't use it? It may seems strange, because it could help him solve a lot of his problems.... but he doesn't use it, because he find it too dangerous and unreliable. Lex is probably agreeing with him on this : science, no matter how twisted or esoteric, may be understood. Accidents may happens but they are an inherent part of progress and the chances that they'll happen may be reduced. Instead, magic can go wrong for a lot of reasons (the location, the locutation, the source of the powers, where stars and planets are in the night sky, etc.), something that would probably be too chaotic for Lex to actually delve into. He may learn enough to be able to lure Superman in locations where something magical will weaken him (like in this issue of Batman during New 52 where Supes came to help Bruce in a building invaded by some entity who weakened Clark) but he wouldn't summon a demon or something, I think.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Mutant God's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    But why do you say this? Its illogical for Luthor to not to believe in magic when magic clearly exists in DC universe.
    I think even in a world where magic is clearly shown some men believe logic is all science and magic is fake and all "hocus pocus". I think Luhtor is a type of guy who believes magic is nonsense and beneath him.
    Last edited by Mutant God; 02-10-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    Skeeter: Hey time traveling O5 members of the X-Men We don't take kindly to people who create a time paradox around here!

    Bartender: Now calm down Skeeter they aint hurtin nobody.

    Skeeter: No! I wanna know som'in from the "O5" How come you cant go back to your own timeline in the first place and how come when Reed Richards "fixed" the universe you wasnt put back and how come the changes that happn to you dont happn to your present day selves?

    Bartender: Skeeter I dont want trouble

  11. #11
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    19,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    No, Luthor I think doesn't believe in magic he is a guy who only believes in logic
    Then why is he evil and does he hate Superman?

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member Mutant God's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Then why is he evil and does he hate Superman?
    They have been different reasons throughout the comics:

    Because he hates all aliens or doesn't like aliens helping humans.

    Jealous of Superman's super powers and popularity and Luthor knows it doesn't matter what he does Lex can't get what Superman has.

    In the early days Luthor blames Superman for an accident where Luthor loses all his hair.
    Skeeter: Hey time traveling O5 members of the X-Men We don't take kindly to people who create a time paradox around here!

    Bartender: Now calm down Skeeter they aint hurtin nobody.

    Skeeter: No! I wanna know som'in from the "O5" How come you cant go back to your own timeline in the first place and how come when Reed Richards "fixed" the universe you wasnt put back and how come the changes that happn to you dont happn to your present day selves?

    Bartender: Skeeter I dont want trouble

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Then why is he evil and does he hate Superman?
    Well, for all intents and purposes, being evil worked out pretty well for him.

    Superman can be hated for logical reasons depending on how you look at it.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-10-2018 at 12:20 PM.

  14. #14
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    19,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    They have been different reasons throughout the comics:

    Because he hates all aliens or doesn't like aliens helping humans.

    Jealous of Superman's super powers and popularity and Luthor knows it doesn't matter what he does Lex can't get what Superman has.

    In the early days Luthor blames Superman for an accident where Luthor loses all his hair.
    But he only believes in logic despite his life being dominated by this huge collection of illogical beliefs and standpoints.

  15. #15
    RIP, Norm... Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,380

    Default

    Trying my best to fight my initial thoughts, that I don't like it and that it doesn't fit what we've seen in the past, I have to say it's a bad idea for him to try because he'd get his butt kicked for all the trouble.

    Like okay, Superman doesn't have special defense against magic. But he's so, so experienced in working around that, I have to say at this point having some guy just randomly learn it to stifle him seems like bad writing. It's like how Joker is not a fighter but gives good resistance... if he learned martial arts on top of that, it still wouldn't look good for him to really fight well against Batman, because he's a neophyte working away from his true passion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •