Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Smile What do you Like/Love about The Original Jean Grey?!

Ever Since Reading Resurrection & X-Men: Red #1 I have been thinking over the Meaning of The Original Jean Grey and what she means to have her back after over a decade of being gone.

To know her well is to read about her..........But I also find that when I ask fans this question I find out even more, so that is my question I like to ask.

What do you Like/Love about The Original Jean Grey?!

What does She Mean to You?!

What does She mean to The X-Men Franchise, To Marvel Comics and To Female Superheroes as a Whole?!

I like this to be a Respectful, so keep post respectful to other opinions.........with that I like to hear your thoughts on Jean Grey during this Historic Time in her Comeback!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

her personality is awesome compassionate and charismatic but at the same time strong when needed.
    she has some of the coolest costumes and character design of marvel
    she is an essential part of the best x-men stories ever told and has great relationships with the other members.

BANNED

The dichotomy of the nice-girl with a hidden edge. The unassuming girl hiding the fact that she has been/is a space goddess.

That drive to do what needs to be done when no one else can. (She didn't know she was going to be saved by a firebird).

The badass female that doesn't have to oversell it with "I cut my hair so you know I'm serious" antics or cheesecakery. Just give her a few moments every now and then when she can revel in threatening people and she's good to go. (Creed, U-Men, Emma, annoying UK politicos, etc)

That need to make up for the lives that were lost due to her power craving/carelessness so many years ago.

There's a slight Jekyll/Hyde thing to her that I love.

Extraordinary Member

She's kind of a bitch and I like her. I mean, you guys have to remember, a lot of us have only gotten into comics in the past few years. Jean Grey has been dead for the entire time I've been into comics. For all of those years, she was talked about like she was a saint, a goddess. It's fun to see her as a normal woman who is really out of her depth at the moment.

BANNED

When you think about Jean Grey, as part and parcel of her history, she's a lot more intermittent than other historic characters. I'm looking forward to a long, sustained presence from her. It's gonna be yuge.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    The dichotomy of the nice-girl with a hidden edge. The unassuming girl hiding the fact that she has been/is a space goddess.

The badass female that doesn't have to oversell it with "I cut my hair so you know I'm serious" antics or cheesecakery. (Creed, U-Men, Emma, annoying UK politicos, etc)
    this is an small detail but i love it. jean doesn't need to pretend to be other thing to be cool, or cut her hair like carol or kitty to be taken seriously. i also love that she is beautiful but she doesn't need to show much, she is shown to be attractive in a respectful way both in body and mind. her beauty is something classic that doesn't need to go over the top

Jean was putting herself in the front lines when she only had her telekinesis. She is brave, caring, wanting to help humans and mutants alike and make the world better. Jean believes in the dream.

BANNED

She's nice to animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    She's nice to animals.
    As soon as I saw you posted here I knew it was gonna be this. Lowkey disappointed that you didn't post the whole Misty and the golphins scan.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    As soon as I saw you posted here I knew it was gonna be this. Lowkey disappointed that you didn't post the whole Misty and the golphins scan.
    I post those scans on a monthly basis. I thought I'd cool it for a while.

why does this need its own thread? isn't this what we have an appreciation for??
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Her caring, motherly side. UXM #303 is the epitome of Jean Grey to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Spectacular Member

This is actually an interesting question, IMO. For me, as a female comic reader from way back in the late 80's, I was never a Jean fan. Jean just could never compare to 80's-90's Rogue, Storm, and even Psylocke (at times). But to be honest, since getting back into comics and being well into my 30's now, I've felt very connected to and protective of Jean. Maybe it's because she was such a substantial character and her absence just felt "wrong" for me. Or maybe it was because I wasn't that impressed with the direction of X-comics after her death. Or maybe I just sympathize with Jean's storyline, in general. Regardless, I am strangely invested in the direction of this newly resurrected Jean. In my opinion, this woman is THE most tragic X-character, while also being the emotional backbone of the franchise.

Side note: I'm in the camp that Jean should stay single or start a brand new relationship. Cyclops is someone I may have dated in my early 20's (broken and needy), but you couldn't pay me to date him now.
    Last edited by Dantes617; 02-10-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    why does this need its own thread? isn't this what we have an appreciation for??
    No? people don't just randomly go to the appreciation thread and post about the exact reasons they like a character and what do they mean instead of just discussing what's happening to them or whatever's the subject at the time. And this is for everyone not just hardcore Jean fans.

Astonishing Member

I like her more as Phoenix host to be honest. With her hair in flames, but in control, like in Morrison's run, than the original Jean Grey.
    I think she should be the Superman of the XMen.

I also like Rachel more with the Phoenix, as a cosmic level hero.

I dont like the Phoenix force being seen as a villain.