View Poll Results: Gwen Stacy: Mary Sue?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck No!

15 60.00%
  • Well...

6 24.00%
  • Heck yeah!

4 16.00%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Default Is Gwen Stacy is Canon Mary Sue?

Alright, not sure if this has already been discussed,but I’m putting it here.

I was browsing a website for discussion about canon characters that display Mary Sue traits, and noticed this article here:

Canon Sue: Gwen Stacy

Do you think they are right, and Gwen is a Sue, or are they off by a mile?

Gwen's character is honestly kind of a mess. She was introduced as the Queen Bee of the chemistry department at Peter's university and that her initial interest in Peter was that he was the only guy she couldn't wrap around her finger, due to the fact he was usually to tired from superhero crap to be bothered. After it was decided that Gwen would be the official one true love interest the writers made her more demure and wholesome, which made her boring to the fans, and after her death the sickeningly sweet version of her is the only version remembered.

Depends on which version we are discussing. Early 616 Gwen could be considered a Mary Sue (as she is shown as being perfect with no flaws), unlike her 65 and Amazing Movies counterparts who are deeper characters with flaws as well as strengths.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-10-2018 at 11:27 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Early Gwen was outright nasty. They just sweetened her up as time went on.

And then she slept with Green Goblin and had a kid that looked just like Peter Parker and dressed like Snake-Eyes.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Mary Sue used to have a very specific meaning that would not apply at all to Gwen Stacy. Now it feels like it's just a term used to describe female characters someone doesn't like. I don't see her as self-insert fan fiction nor as wish fulfillment. I didn't think she started off as a well-developed character, but that doesn't make her a Mary Sue.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

She wasn't the main character. She didn't have any powers. She wasn't ultra competent. She died at the hands of a villain. How the hell is this a Mary Sue?

If you wanna talk about how she's always remembered as this oh so sweet perfect girl... that still isn't a Mary Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Mary Sue used to have a very specific meaning that would not apply at all to Gwen Stacy. Now it feels like it's just a term used to describe female characters someone doesn't like. I don't see her as self-insert fan fiction nor as wish fulfillment. I didn't think she started off as a well-developed character, but that doesn't make her a Mary Sue.
    I completely agree with this statement. I don't think Gwen Stacy fits the original definition of the word. Or the true definition.

And now, I even see some male characters called "mary sue", lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    She's also not seen as perfect. She gets upset, comes to the wrong conclusion sometimes, etc.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Early Gwen was outright nasty. They just sweetened her up as time went on.

And then she slept with Green Goblin and had a kid that looked just like Peter Parker and dressed like Snake-Eyes.
    Great, now I have a desire to see Gabriel Stacy team up with Punisher. Thanks for that.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy was loved because Emma Stone is a terrific and effortlessly charming actress.
    I do agree that Stone's acting did Gwen more favors than the script did.

And because the two leads had great chemistry.
    I never saw that myself, to be totally honest (some bits worked, but they had some really bad scenes too).

But the character herself, I didn't like it. She kind of was a bit too perfect. They also made her the smarter one. I too, am hesitant to call her a Mary Sue, but I mean, what were her real flaws?
    Yeah, I like that assessment.

Though, if you want to see an absolute legit Mary Sue, then watch The Ridiculous 6(I mean, don't. It's a god awful movie). Adam Sandler's character fits every single definition of the term.
    Never saw that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Consider yourself lucky then. You've never ran into any really bad characters.
    Seriously?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)