View Poll Results: Gwen Stacy: Mary Sue?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck No!

15 60.00%
  • Well...

6 24.00%
  • Heck yeah!

4 16.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy was loved because Emma Stone is a terrific and effortlessly charming actress. And because the two leads had great chemistry. But the character herself, I didn't like it. She kind of was a bit too perfect. They also made her the smarter one. I too, am hesitant to call her a Mary Sue, but I mean, what were her real flaws?

Though, if you want to see an absolute legit Mary Sue, then watch The Ridiculous 6(I mean, don't. It's a god awful movie). Adam Sandler's character fits every single definition of the term.
    She didn't really have any flaws in those movies. They just poorly foreshadowed her death and treated that as if it were enough.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

A Mary Sue is supposed to mean a blatant self-insert or stand-in character so no.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    A Mary Sue is supposed to mean a blatant self-insert or stand-in character so no.
    They can be, but Sue is about reaching an state of idealization, usually througth means that break the rules of the universe that they are set in.

Astonishing Member

Never thought of Gwen Stacy as a Mary Sue type of character at all.
    Her characterisation have been writen much better that to diminsh Gwen Stacy as just a Mary Sue type of character.

AngelGroveRadioPodcast powerpackers90's Avatar

The Closest I think Spider-man ever got to one is Carlie. Cause remember how we had months and months of everyone telling Peter just how perfect and great she is. And that Gwen story in that 'Many loves of Spider-man" one shot that said Gwen and Carlie grew up together. That showed Gwen as this unlikable little brat, and Carlie soveling murders at age 8.
    Angel Grove Radio
    The "ALL NEW" Spider-Man's Tangled Web-Show ON YOUTUBE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Not necessarily. They can be and many of them are, but they don't have to be self-insert/stand-in to be a Mary Sue. Same goes for vice-versa. A character doesn't necessarily become a Mary Sue just because he/she is the self-insert/stand-in for the author. I mean, have you read any of the Stephen King books?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    She didn't really have any flaws in those movies. They just poorly foreshadowed her death and treated that as if it were enough.
    Well, there was also probably whatever investment people had in her as a character by that point and her relationship with Peter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    No offense, but I think the ASM movie version of Gwen has zero depth of character (even taking into account that she's "just" a supporting character), much less development over the movies or even any defining characteristics beyond being Peter Parker's girlfriend. While I do hesitate when using "Mary Sue" to mean "badly-written character," honestly, she is my go-to example of what I think a "Mary Sue" looks like. (Mileage will vary and that's perfectly fine, but I've never really understood why Emma Stone's Gwen was considered such a great love interest character at the time, much less now. I feel like I saw a different movie.)
    It's because Emma Stone is a naturally charming actor that brings a lot to the role that simply isn't there in the script. She really elevates that character for a lot of people. Not to mention her good chemistry with Garfield.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-12-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Early Gwen was outright nasty. They just sweetened her up as time went on.

And then she slept with Green Goblin and had a kid that looked just like Peter Parker and dressed like Snake-Eyes.
    Great, now I have a desire to see Gabriel Stacy team up with Punisher. Thanks for that.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy was loved because Emma Stone is a terrific and effortlessly charming actress.
    I do agree that Stone's acting did Gwen more favors than the script did.

And because the two leads had great chemistry.
    I never saw that myself, to be totally honest (some bits worked, but they had some really bad scenes too).

But the character herself, I didn't like it. She kind of was a bit too perfect. They also made her the smarter one. I too, am hesitant to call her a Mary Sue, but I mean, what were her real flaws?
    Yeah, I like that assessment.

Though, if you want to see an absolute legit Mary Sue, then watch The Ridiculous 6(I mean, don't. It's a god awful movie). Adam Sandler's character fits every single definition of the term.
    Never saw that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Consider yourself lucky then. You've never ran into any really bad characters.
    Seriously?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Seriously?
    Slott's Silk is pretty much what a Mary Sue with flaws looks like, although there are far worse around, like Sentry when they really wanna kiss his ass.

Gwen not having flaws in ASM movies makes her into a "Miss Perfect", but that's hardly what a true Mary Sue is like, though not having flaws is a trait, but even Spider-Man gets some traits once in a while (Hint hint, his victory over Firelord is complete bullshit), having some traits is hardly that much of a problem, it can be annoying though, but that depends both on the trait and the execution.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 02-13-2018 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Slott's Silk is pretty much what a Mary Sue with flaws looks like, although there are far worse around, like Sentry when they really wanna kiss his ass.
    Did she even really have flaws when Slott was writing her?

She still doesn't have enough well-defined traits as a character to be labelled as a Mary Sue. Not to mention no uniformity in characterisation. Spider-Gwen is a completely different character from Lee/Romita Gwen. Lee/Romita Gwen was a completely different character from Ditko Gwen. And none of these characters fit the St. Gwen image pushed post her death in stories like Spider-Man: Blue. Emma Stone's Gwen was underdeveloped and was just superficially painted as "perfect" so as to have an impact when she was led to the slaughter.

What an inconsistent mess lol.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

No, because if she were a Mary Sue, she would have killed Norman Osborn instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Did she even really have flaws when Slott was writing her?
    At the very least, she's rash, disobeyed orders and followed the other Spiders to another universe, and that's what caused Spider-Zeke's death.