Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Default Match, the least popular X-kid?

I was just thinking about all the living kids from the New X-Men.

On this board many are popular and habe a big or small fanbase.

But I've never seen anyone discuss Match. I do not even know what's he currently is. Not Senn him even as wallpaper the last years.

Frankly, he is not on my to 10 list of kids as well. But do wonder why.

Is he just another Torch/Pyro/Sunfire rip off? Is that why no one cares? Or is it lack of screen time on the books?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

I guess you could say he didn't really spark up an interest and gradually catch on
    But
    I feel Skin and Whiz Kid...characters decades older than Match are less popular...I don't even think they have appreciation threads. When it comes to unpopularity Match is just a flash in the pan
    Last edited by BroHomo; 02-11-2018 at 05:13 AM.
    GrindrStone(D)

Ink is obviously less popular. Match is just ignored, but I don't think people actively dislike him.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post

Is he just another Torch/Pyro/Sunfire rip off? Is that why no one cares? Or is it lack of screen time on the books?
    I think that's your answer right there. Most readers probably do view him as s cheap rip off of other fire using characters like Magma/Sunfire/Firestar. He's not exactly original. It seems most writers feel the same way. If a writer needs a fire using character then he/she is most likely going to use one of the more popular characters instead. Although the lack of screen time could be an advantage for Match if a writer wanted to do something extreme in terms of character development. I don't think Match would have very many fans who would get upset if a writer took some crazy chances with him.

I read the current Gen X series. I'm pretty sure he popped up in there. I'm just to lazy to go through my comics to find out for sure. I'm pretty sure he was in issue 5. He may have been in the M-Plate story, I just cant remember. If he hadn't shown up there I honestly would have assumed he was dead.

Nah, not at all.

Ink, Velocidad, Quentin Quire, Sprite, and Glob all beat him at that. He might not be as popular but he's definitely liked and loved.

As for appearances, he showed up in America #1 and Generation X #5 recently. He's always been a background character kid.

I highly doubt Quentin is one if the least popular X-Kids. He’s probably the most divisive though.

Match really isn’t much of a character. He has generic powers and very little character development. I dont see how he could be anyone’s favorite tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I highly doubt Quentin is one if the least popular X-Kids. He’s probably the most divisive though.

Match really isn’t much of a character. He has generic powers and very little character development. I dont see how he could be anyone’s favorite tbh.
    People glob on their own persona to generic characters...i.e. Academy X Kids so he very well could be a fave of someone's. For me Match will always be a black kid. ..probably cause his intial appearances coincided _with 1st time I saw the 'Hot Streak ' character on Teen Titanswho basically had the same powerset as Match but can turn off his flame.
    Although there was that 1 time in the Danger Room
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Ink is obviously less popular. Match is just ignored, but I don't think people actively dislike him.
    Thats different. Least populair because no one ever talks about hin. And I have spotted a few people on this board, who do like Ink. And also, he was introduced later. I was talking about the kids of the NXM era.

Match is basically not mentioned at all.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post

Sad we haven't seen more written of him or a writer who will invest time in his character.

Of his 82 (with like half of them being non-speaking cameos) appearances, we know he's a capable leader (he was field leader in the Paragons Squad), hot-headed (always being the first one mindlessly attacking), and has a great deal of control over his powers.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    People glob on their own persona to generic characters...i.e. Academy X Kids so he very well could be a fave of someone's. For me Match will always be a black kid. ..probably cause his intial appearances coincided _with 1st time I saw the 'Hot Streak ' character on Teen Titanswho basically had the same powerset as Match but can turn off his flame.
    Although there was that 1 time in the Danger Room
    Implying the New X-Men are generic?

Also, yeah I HC Match, Wolf Cub, and Quill as black.

Who? Seriously I'm drawing blanks

Edit: ohh, the fire dude I haven't seen him in so long
    Last edited by 9th.; 02-11-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Thats different. Least populair because no one ever talks about hin. And I have spotted a few people on this board, who do like Ink. And also, he was introduced later. I was talking about the kids of the NXM era.

Match is basically not mentioned at all.
    Oh, if you're just talking about NXM era, then that's just because no writer really put significant time into his character.

Indra, Loa, Bling!, Cuckoos, Armor, Blindfold, Trance, Gentle, Ernst, and No-Girl all had writers who had specific storylines just for them. Match just hasn't gotten that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post

Implying the New X-Men are generic?

Nah just a lot of them that grew on people very quickly
    GrindrStone(D)

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

I like Match... as little as he's been used. One of the few post Aaron kids I can deal with.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Astonishing Member

fire powers are the most boring overused power.
    in the past they tried to make the characters with fire powers different in some way. Sunfire is atomic fire, whatever that is. Firestar is actually microwave radiation. Pyro can't produce fire, and isnt immune to fire, he can only control it, shape it, even creating fire creatures. Magma is completely different.

But Match, or the lazily created inhuman called Dante, with Inferno as codename, are super lazy characters.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    I like Match... as little as he's been used. One of the few post Aaron kids I can deal with.
    He is pre Aaron >_>

Poor Ben sadly never got out of the Wallpaper status.