View Poll Results: Could Rogue Have Made A Better Captain Marvel Than Carol Danvers?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Rogue already had the support she just needed the Marvel push!!

24 26.37%
  • No! Carol Danvers is still the better choice!

67 73.63%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Partially it's because those kinds of relationships might've been condoned more back then in more patriarchal times. The one I can't stand is Reed because he actually mistreats Sue
    Speaking of Sue, I forgot to add Namor to my list. Another creepy old timer chasing younger women at the under 30 club.

However, the one I can't understand is Blue Marvel. He's a recent character so why did Marvel decide to put him with Monica Rambeau? Can't she get a young guy?
    If memory serves, Monica did have a male romantic interest closer to her age. Not sure what happened to Freeman. But Ewing decided for whatever reason to have Monica basically throw herself at Adam and have them become a couple. I like Monica, but I think Adam should have been paired with someone like Storm's ancestor, the sorceress Ashake. Given the powerful magical energies that she commands as the chief priestess of Oshtur and the Vishanti, it wouldn't be difficult to establish that Ashake is far older than she appears and possibly long-lived if not immortal, like Adam. As for Monica, we know that she wants a "normal" life, so I'd marry her off to someone not in the superhero business, but a good man no more than a handful of years older or younger than herself.

I don't quite see it either. Rogue is ok but more of a side character. Admittedly, I do think it's good to elevate less prominent characters, especially female ones, but what about her stands out?
    Agreed. Rogue fits in perfectly in the X-universe, but I wouldn't build my entire publication franchise around her. There are other, better choices, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    As for the Magneto thing, that is for a reason very controversial, which is one of the reason why I always tend to get irky during any Rogue and Wanda interaction and Age of Apocalypse is a hard read because the book implied Rogue was younger than Pietro and Wanda but again, it is still not far fetched, many young women do end up with much older men.
    To be clear, I am not saying that it's "far fetched", just that it happens more often in comics than it should. In real life, one of my ex-girlfriends married a man 25 years older than her. They remained happily married for almost two decades until he passed earlier this year.

May to December relationships do happen and some even go the distance. But I'd like to think that is more the exception than the rule. Marvel, on the other hand, makes it seem like the exception is the rule.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Speaking of Sue, I forgot to add Namor to my list. Another creepy old timer chasing younger women at the under 30 club.
    You remind me of a love triangle with 3 heroes I don't like at all. Both men are jerks and the woman has nothing I can see that makes the men want her

If memory serves, Monica did have a male romantic interest closer to her age. Not sure what happened to Freeman. But Ewing decided for whatever reason to have Monica basically throw herself at Adam and have them become a couple. I like Monica, but I think Adam should have been paired with someone like Storm's ancestor, the sorceress Ashake. Given the powerful magical energies that she commands as the chief priestess of Oshtur and the Vishanti, it wouldn't be difficult to establish that Ashake is far older than she appears and possibly long-lived if not immortal, like Adam. As for Monica, we know that she wants a "normal" life, so I'd marry her off to someone not in the superhero business, but a good man no more than a handful of years older or younger than herself.
    She doesn't necessarily need to date/marry a non-superhero. There's plenty of available male Avengers. And I doubt she'd ever get a normal life.

Agreed. Rogue fits in perfectly in the X-universe, but I wouldn't build my entire publication franchise around her. There are other, better choices, imho.
    Haha, I've probably said more than enough times I don't think any one hero should be at the forefront. So Rogue can still get support alongside Carol, Monica and everyone else. But I probably wouldn't put her at the top.

On that note, since we both know it probably will never happen in the comics, I'm actually curious to see the MCU going forward without 2 of it's biggest heroes. So far they only have Thor who's at similar levels of popularity. But it's exciting in its own way

To be clear, I am not saying that it's "far fetched", just that it happens more often in comics than it should. In real life, one of my ex-girlfriends married a man 25 years older than her. They remained happily married for almost two decades until he passed earlier this year.

May to December relationships do happen and some even go the distance. But I'd like to think that is more the exception than the rule. Marvel, on the other hand, makes it seem like the exception is the rule.
    part of the problem is the inherent sexism entrenched in the age old ideas of older men seeking out younger women, because women were valued more for their "fertility" or some other such nonsense. As if young women are thirsting after old grey haired men.

On another note, I fear I accidentally voted yes. Can that be changed?

I know there'd be way more kissing at Marvel if they pushed Rogue
    The J-man

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    That was in New Avengers when Luke Cage and Jessica Jones were looking for a baby-sitter. Wolverine meets Squirrel Girl and brushes her off. Nothing sexual was implied; that's just a meme people come up with. It was probably just a joke about Squirrel Girl beating everyone she fights.
    Except that it was written by Brian Michael Bendis who constantly was suggesting random hook ups between superheroes. A few issues later he even had Squirrel Girl trying to flirt with Daredevil.

I've heard the theory that the scene is about they had a fight and she kicked his ass and that's why he's embarrassed ( and that is funnier than what's on the page), but I've read enough Bendis stuff to not give him the benefit of the doubt in this regard.
    Last edited by ed2962; 09-02-2021 at 09:07 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I know there'd be way more kissing at Marvel if they pushed Rogue
    Is that a good thing, all things considered?

She doesn't necessarily need to date/marry a non-superhero. There's plenty of available male Avengers. And I doubt she'd ever get a normal life.
    Sure, I just don't like any of the male Avengers for Monica at all. I would prefer that she have someone outside of the life, so to speak. Someone new that doesn't have history with anyone else. Now if that individual happens to get powers down the road or something, fine, but at least in the beginning I'd want him to be a civilian. Plus, it gives Marvel an excuse to create another outstanding African American male character. Can never have too many of those.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Except that it was written by Brian Michael Bendis who constantly was suggesting random hook ups between superheroes. A few issues later he even had Squirrel Girl trying to flirt with Daredevil.

I've heard the theory that the scene is about they had a fight and she kicked his ass and that's why he's embarrassed ( and that is funnier than what's on the page), but I've read enough Bendis stuff to not give him the benefit of the doubt in this regard.
    The Squirrel Girl series gives the official word on the story.
    Which is that Wolverine stole a cab from SG and she was ticked at him, works better for the characters and is infinitely less creepy.

Ultimate Member

Sure, I just don't like any of the male Avengers for Monica at all. I would prefer that she have someone outside of the life, so to speak. Someone new that doesn't have history with anyone else. Now if that individual happens to get powers down the road or something, fine, but at least in the beginning I'd want him to be a civilian. Plus, it gives Marvel an excuse to create another outstanding African American male character. Can never have too many of those.
    While Marvel needs more Black characters, I'd prefer if more of them were actual superheroes, rather than just civilians

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    WTF. I don't want to be rude and get banned but seriously how do people come up with stuff like this and think it's somehow reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    It's a fun random exercise .

The Real Question For You Is ....Why So Serious ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Let's see how fun. Rogue classically demonstrates her mutant power by sexually assaulting others. You're right. This is fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Not this again...

I'm sure Bishop felt very sexually assaulted when Rogue absorbed her powers by kissing him. And all her poor victims which clearly have PTSD through it. Just look at Carol! Oh wait, the one character who hates the absorption the most and it was the least sexual.
    Instead, it was most empowering...
    Vivian and Lilian comic

I see you're not a fan of Mt. Rushmore.
    I was thinking more of Stone Mountain, Georgia actually.

While Marvel needs more Black characters, I'd prefer if more of them were actual superheroes, rather than just civilians
    More of pretty much ever ethnicity works for me. And not just random characters, but impactful stories. I think they're working towards that, but it's going to take time. The new generation of writers and readers really have to keep pushing forward so that the old days can really be just that, the old days.

Ultimate Member

I was thinking more of Stone Mountain, Georgia actually.
    Any of them suck

More of pretty much ever ethnicity works for me. And not just random characters, but impactful stories. I think they're working towards that, but it's going to take time. The new generation of writers and readers really have to keep pushing forward so that the old days can really be just that, the old days.
    And they shouldn't just drop non-White characters just because they don't initially work. White heroes keep getting chances. Just look at F4.