View Poll Results: Could Rogue Have Made A Better Captain Marvel Than Carol Danvers?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Rogue already had the support she just needed the Marvel push!!

24 26.37%
  • No! Carol Danvers is still the better choice!

67 73.63%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Could Rogue Have Made A Better Captain Marvel Than Carol Danvers?

The Question

"Could Rogue Have Made A Better Captain Marvel Than Carol Danvers?"

Purpose

The purpose of this thread is to analyze Rogue and Carol Danvers as characters to comic book fans and to the Marvel Universe as a whole. While also discussing the importance of the Captain Marvel title to the Marvel Universe and to Marvel Entertainment as a whole. With the ultimate purpose of determining who would have made a better Captain Marvel.

What This Thread Is Not!

Often people use threads like these to degrade characters or fans. THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR IT ! If you can not resist the urge to bash please do not post and take your opinions SOMEWHERE ELSE. Stick to the facts and your own personal reasoning as to why either Rogue or Carol should be Captain Marvel.

How The Idea Came About.

I just finished reading another outstanding issue of Uncanny Avengers and it made me realize yet again how far Rogue has come as a character. In her short time as an Avenger she really has done more and made more of an impact that a few Avenger "mainstays" . Rogues time as an Avenger leader and even her role as a X-Man has made her one of the most loved female characters in Marvels wheel house.

Comparatively Carol Danvers despite being an Avenger for most of her comic career has still yet to hold any strong footing with comic fans as a whole. Carol is a strong character in her own right but time and time again she seems be well below where she should be in sales, fan approval, and as a Marvel Icon like Captain America, Spider Man, and The Hulk.

So I have to ask ........With Rogues connection to Carol, Signature Powerset, and Characterization over the years could she have been a better character for Marvel to have pushed for Captain Marvel than Carol Danvers? Would her solo sell better? Would she be a better representation of Marvels brand? Could she have been a better example to the Marvel heroes and civilians?

Or is Carol Danvers still Marvels best choice to hold the title as Captain Marvel.

Note: For sake of those wondering in this scenario ....

Approach the idea from the perspective of what if phantom Mar-vell was written to being some where or doing something else during AvX and then inspired Rogue to claim his mantel?

And comparatively think how it already played out with Carol taking the mantel as her own.

If Yes. Rogue should be Captain Marvel the following would be true:

Kamala Khan would take on the mantel of Rogue in Ann Marie's stead. She would still be a Inhuman and still have very little to do with the X-Men.

Carol Danvers would still be active in the Marvel Universe as Mrs. Marvel or Warbird.

If No. Carol should be Captain Marvel.

Nothing would change and Rogue would still be doing what she is doing currently.

Everyone knows Carol is getting a movie and nothing will change Marvels push so there really isn't a need to bring up the movie. This is purely discussion among comic fans.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-11-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Captain Marvel ideally should have some connection to Marv. Giving the name to just any random hero never worked IMO.

Genis, Phylla and Carol are IMO the only characters they should consider giving the name to.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

My favorite Captain Marvels are Billy Batson and Monica Rambeau, but yeah. You can't just randomly give that title as a working idea.

No, they made the right choice. Whether fans are drawn to Carol are not, she has the connection to the original and she carried the legacy for quite sometime. I like Carol and like so many other characters, I think that she's been the victim of poor management and decision making on the part of Marvel.

I think Rogue is an excellent character and doing a great job of building her own legacy.

Like you said Monica Rambeau was given the title. I also think since Rogue absorbed Carol Danvers mind/powers pretty much at the beginning of her career that a connection could is somewhat there. A story could have been written during AvX in a similar manner as to how Rogue would later claim the title instead of Carol.

I mean it really was that one story where a few Avengers tried to stop the Phoenix with phantom Mar-vell that pushed Carol to taking the name. What if phantom Mar-vell was written to being some where or doing something else and then inspired Rogue to claim his mantel? What if Mar-vell passed the mantel to her instead?

The bold is how I envisioned that question being discussed. You can still think Carol would be a better choice for Captian Marvel but get less caught up on the how you would get there parts.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I don't even like Carol as Captain Marvel, I really see no reason for Rogue, who, unlike Carol, has no real connection to Mar-Vell to take his name. I'd much rather have Genis-vell or Monic Rambeu as Captain Marvel, even Phylla, though I never could stand much the character. However, between Carol and Rogue, I'd go with Carol (even if, IMHO, the change did a disservice to the character).

Peace

BANNED

No, because he has zero connection to Mar-Vell. On the other hand, she's a far better character than Carol.

It is definitely an interesting idea as Rogue is an X-Men Mainstay people know very well even outside the Comics and she could be a good bridge between Avengers and X-Men.
    But she could play that role without having to be Captain Marvel in my opinion. In a way she even does that as the Leader of the Uncanny Avengers.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Rogue is my favorite Marvel Character and I voted no. Rogue has no connection to the original Mar-vel. Everything Rogue took from Carol in 1981, was gone by 2003. Rogue has no connection to the Kree or spent extended time in space.Since Rogue now has Ionic power she got Simon, maybe Rogue should be called Captain Wonder . I say, let Carol bare the tittle and the low selling books! Rogue does better being on Earth, doing what she does best "Hitting things'til they break".

The connection with Rogue to Marv is weak but there is no getting around that comparatively Rogue moves more comic books. It's one of the main reasons why I thought this would be interesting. I hope fans of the characters will bring in some sales data along with moments that would help their opinion on why their choice would make a better Captain Marvel. Especially, in terms of what Marvel seems to be going for in making Carol their version of Superman.

Could Rogue handle that title?

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    It is definitely an interesting idea as Rogue is an X-Men Mainstay people know very well even outside the Comics and she could be a good bridge between Avengers and X-Men.
    But she could play that role without having to be Captain Marvel in my opinion. In a way she even does that as the Leader of the Uncanny Avengers.
    This another thought I was having. Rogue doesn't really need the title Captain Marvel because she is doing fine on her own. However, I couldn't get around the fact that with it she would be taken to the next level. Being the bridge too the Avengers and the X-Men is a added bonus.

But again Carol has the history, which is still pretty slim within of itself, there is no getting around that. It's just that title Captain Marvel should probably be held by a character who fans already rallied behind. There was never that many fans of Carol. There are more now since she became the Captain but even still.

Marvel wants the title Captain Marvel to hold significance in their universe because it has their name in it. They will always push that title. There in lies the problem of who is baring it.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-11-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Truth is Rogue is probably more famous mainstream wise than the Original Captain marvel anyways. So it's not really a step up.

Was looking for some videos about Rogue and Carol just now and saw these:

Thought they might be fun for everyone. Have not watched at the time of posting. Not sure who wins.

Have not watch yet

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Carol carries the legacy, Rogue is only distantly related through a violent assault. The answer is clearly no.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Just put the 2 of them in a team book together. Friendly competition between the 2 of them will bring out the best in both of them. Problem with Carol is way back in 2006, she wanted to prove to everyone and herself she was "Best of the Best". Problem is, Carol's been on top for so long, she's got nothing to prove to herself or anybody else. That, in part, makes her dull!