View Poll Results: Could Rogue Have Made A Better Captain Marvel Than Carol Danvers?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Rogue already had the support she just needed the Marvel push!!

24 26.37%
  • No! Carol Danvers is still the better choice!

67 73.63%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    4, 4, 12. That's how long each Rogue volume was. The first two were clearly intended as minis anyway. Issue 12 of the 2004-5 series sold 20,286 copies according to Comichron, which would be above cancellation level by today's standards - and just below Astonishing X-Men and an issue 1 of New Warriors (no wonder THAT didn't last long!).
    http://comichron.com/monthlycomicssa...5/2005-06.html
    You can't convert the cancellation level one to one because books in general don't do as well as they did back then and likely wouldn't do as well today.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins
    Let's see how fun. Rogue classically demonstrates her mutant power by sexually assaulting others. You're right. This is fun.
    Not this again...

I'm sure Bishop felt very sexually assaulted when Rogue absorbed her powers by kissing him. And all her poor victims which clearly have PTSD through it. Just look at Carol! Oh wait, the one character who hates the absorption the most and it was the least sexual.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakronicity View Post
    Have Rogue's solo titles ever sold very well either, though? I don't remember any of them lasting very long.
    I think people don't understand just because your very popular doesn't mean there's a demand for a solo series. We see this for a couple characters who are typically put out or have been put out for years on a team setting. They simply sell better on teams.

Personally I feel like any character depends on a good creative team, plot and story direction, art and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Let's see how fun. Rogue classically demonstrates her mutant power by sexually assaulting others. You're right. This is fun.
    This is the type of talk the thread is not intended for.

PLEASE TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Thank you!
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

Also no. Hell tbh I'd retcon alot of the sharenaming for the Captain Marvel name.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I think people don't understand just because your very popular doesn't mean there's a demand for a solo series. We see this for a couple characters who are typically put out or have been put out for years on a team setting. They simply sell better on teams.

Personally I feel like any character depends on a good creative team, plot and story direction, art and whatnot.
    This is true. However, Carol is not selling well and never really has. Part of the reason why she still has a book is so marvel can keep the Captain Marvel trademark and because the name holds their brand in it.

So the question becomes if Rogue was given that support with the Captain Marvel brand would the title be doing better?
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-11-2018 at 01:01 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    This is the type of talk the thread is not intended for.

PLEASE TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Thank you!
    I'm telling you why Rogue can't be a better Captain Marvel.

Agreed, I was just pointing this out as the post I was replying to claimed the Captain Marvel solo sold poorly, and seemed to insinuate it would sell better if Rogue was Captain Marvel.

Personally I like Rogue as Rogue, I don't see the point of changing her name. I also prefer her as a team player over a solo, so my vote went to No.

I agree, sort of. I think a popular character should ideally be able to sustain a solo title but not all popular characters are built as solo characters. A solo title needs themes,, a rogue's gallery, time to develop a fanbase and most importantly a niche. It's very hard building all this in today's market and characters like the X-Men which grew through a shared universe, theme, etc... have a hard time standing apart to form their own niches.

Exceptions being cases like Wolverine, X-23, Deadpool and to a lesser extent Cable.

But yeah, you get a good creative team and have them establish that niche quickly (6 to 12 issues) and I think that a solo can perform well. They just need an angle and a story in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonChi
    This is true. However, Carol is not selling well and never really has. Part of the reason why she still has a book is so marvel can keep the Captain Marvel trademark and because the name holds their brand in it.

So the question becomes if Rogue was given that support with the Captain Marvel brand would the title be doing better?
    I think if any of the dominate 90s X-woman had been given the push Carol had been given they might've had more success. Why Marvel never capitalized on it at their peak popularity I have no idea.

Heck Storm beat Wonder Woman through a fan vote lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post

I don't think you can get a proper answer. It's nothing but speculation. My opinion though is if the complaint is Carol is being shoved down readers throats why would shoving Rogue down our throats sell better. It's an execution flaw not a flaw of who the character is.

Invincible Member

Hmm..this is kind of an odd question. It's like asking would Natasha be a better Capt America or would Reed Richards be a better Iron Man? Would Wade Wilson be a better Wolverine?

Jean De Wolff would have been a better Alias

I don't think Rogue would want anything that belongs to Carol. Back in 1989, Rogue got stuck wearing Carol's old black costume. "You see this rag she's got me wearing? The woman has no taste." "It's not mine, it's not my style, next trash can I find, it's gone!"

I don't think you can get a proper answer. It's nothing but speculation. My opinion though is if the complaint is Carol is being shoved down readers throats why would shoving Rogue down our throats sell better. It's an execution flaw not a flaw of who the character is.
    That's the point though. Says as much in the original thread. I want people to speculate on Rogue being Captain Marvel and if the overall experience would be better than Carol as Captain Marvel.

Marvel as a company is going to shove that brand down our throats regardless, which is also stated in the original thread, who would CBR prefer?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Exactly. You can be the a very popular character in a team book, but that does not mean you can carry a solo book. The failure of almost every X-Men given a solo book is proof of that. To really make it as a solo book you have to have a hook fans can grab onto. Wolverine just with the type of character he is fits as a solo star beacuse of his powerset and style. Storm on the other hand never has been.

I will say though that Rogue was at her best when she had Carol's powerset. When they stripped her of that so she could be like the movie version of Rogue they really ruined the character for nearly a decade.

Rogue taking Carol's name is pretty much this.