View Poll Results: Could Rogue Have Made A Better Captain Marvel Than Carol Danvers?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Rogue already had the support she just needed the Marvel push!!

24 26.37%
  • No! Carol Danvers is still the better choice!

67 73.63%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    So I read at the beginning that if Rogue became Captain Marvel, Kamala would've taken up the Rogue name.

Given how extremely well beloved Rogue is, and the current pop culture hostilities, do you really think that would've gone over well? Kamala already gets a lot of flack for taking over the Ms. Marvel name because of that enduring image of Carol in the iconic black suit. While I'm sure some wouldn't mind Kamala taking over the Rogue name, so many people would riot just at the very idea for a number of reasons.
    I honestly think everything would have went down the same way as it did with Carol. People really took to Kamala not because she was Ms. Marvel but because she was Kamala. If everything was written the same way just with Rogue instead of Caorl, yeah I think it would be fine.

Not to say I think Rogue would make a better Captain Marvel or vise versa. I would rather everyone else give their opinions on the matter.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I don't know if she would. I could use the ''she has nothing to do with that legacy'' argument, but then again, the same could've been said about Monica Rambeau, and she was pretty beloved as Captain Marvel, so nothing's that cut and dry. On a purely conceptual level, when they decided back in 2012 that they were gonna have a new Captain Marvel, I think Carol was the choice that made the most sense. She just had had her second Ms. Marvel volume end, which was a pretty successful run, and they were probably wondering which character could take the Captain Marvel name to the next level. I think the idea of Carol getting a ''promotion'' from Ms. to Captain felt like a natural progression. They probably just didn't expect that it would be so hard to sell Carol as Captain as compared to Ms., but now they're kinda stuck with that decision for reasons outside of comics.

But like I was saying in the Captain Marvel Appreciation Thread a few days ago, there's only so far they can take this push if it doesn't pay off at some point. I still think it's possible they're gonna try the Captain Marvel title with someone else some years down the line, so who knows, maybe Rogue or someone just as unexpected could take up the mantle and people would have argument number 4398439847 on who was the best Captain Marvel.

Monica Rambeau, always was, and always will be, the Best Captain Marvel.

Doesn't matter if the "legacy" thing doesn't work with her. I think too many people are caught up in the whole "legacy" stuff anyway. Mar-Vell was his real name and rank. For Monica it was a superhero name, just like multitudes of other superheroes.
    Also, Johnny Storm had no ties to Jim Hammond. Worked out fine for him.

Marvel really blew the whole "Marvel" thing to me.

We should have had:

Captain Marvel: Monica Rambeau

Ms. Marvel: Carol Danvers

Marvel Girl: Kamala Khan.

What an epic "family" of characters that would have been.

Also. Rogue is Rogue. No need to ruin a perfectly viable character by giving her a role she doesn't need.Like they did with Carol.
    Batman - Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post

Doesn't matter if the "legacy" thing doesn't work with her. I think too many people are caught up in the whole "legacy" stuff anyway. Mar-Vell was his real name and rank. For Monica it was a superhero name, just like multitudes of other superheroes.

We should have had:

What an epic "family" of characters that would have been.

Also. Rogue is Rogue. No need to ruin a perfectly viable character by giving her a role she doesn't need.Like they did with Carol.
    It wasn't really much of a legacy thing until they created Genis and gave him his own book (which was pretty good). Once Marvs son (and later daughter) entered the picture, using the Captain Marvel name as a legacy for his children made all the sense in the world.

The name for Monica was just a name like you said. But for Genis, trying to become Captain Marvel was essentially his character arc.

Where it came off the wheels was after they took the name from Genis and began playing hot potatoe with it. Phyla, Gravity, Marvel Boy, and the Skrull Marv all became candidates for the name for like 10 seconds before moving onto the next person.

Giving it to Carol at least ended the whole thing. In theory it could have come back to Monica but by this point she already had like 3-4 other names, so for her any code name was essentially meaningless.

Monica was a great Captain Marvel but I think she has distance herself from that title so much that going back to it would be like going in reverse for her. Photon/Spectrum are the names I would prefer her with personally. But I can see why others still want her as Captain Marvel.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post

Very good point!

We should have had:

2022 is to have Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel and Marvel Girl rake in billions of dollars worldwide for Disney which they continue starring in Two and a half Marvels...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Just put the 2 of them in a team book together. Friendly competition between the 2 of them will bring out the best in both of them. Problem with Carol is way back in 2006, she wanted to prove to everyone and herself she was "Best of the Best". Problem is, Carol's been on top for so long, she's got nothing to prove to herself or anybody else. That, in part, makes her dull!
    The character was anything but dull when she went shopping with the X-ladies Dazzler, Storm and Psylocke..

Ultimate Member

Why exactly does Storm need to paint her face?

BANNED

I voted No. Rogue's story turned out perfect the way it is. she was never destined to be captain marvel. Let Carol keep the mantle.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-31-2021 at 04:57 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Write me down as a firm "No." That's a little like invading a continent, taking the land from its indigenous people before wiping out said native populace almost to the point of extinction and then carving your face into their mountain like you owned the land from day 1. Sure, I like Rogue far more than I've ever liked Carol, but that doesn't mean I want or need to see her as Marvel's first female. Ever.

Having said that, I'm not much a fan of Carol being Marvel's first female, either. They should have gone with someone else. But what's done is done.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Write me down as a firm "No." That's a little like invading a continent, taking the land from its indigenous people before wiping out said native populace almost to the point of extinction and then carving your face into their mountain like you owned the land from day 1. Sure, I like Rogue far more than I've ever liked Carol, but that doesn't mean I want or need to see her as Marvel's first female. Ever.

Having said that, I'm not much a fan of Carol being Marvel's first female, either. They should have gone with someone else. But what's done is done.
    I see you're not a fan of Mt. Rushmore.

I like Carol and Rogue about equal, but I'm more familiar with and interested in Carol. But why should there be a Marvel's first female? Why not promote many?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I see you're not a fan of Mt. Rushmore.

I like Carol and Rogue about equal, but I'm more familiar with and interested in Carol. But why should there be a Marvel's first female? Why not promote many?
    Because human beings crave consensus. Marvel has always had DC beat when it comes to great female characters imho, but all those great characters just can't compare to just one Wonder Woman. Then to add insult to injury DC lucked into Harley Quinn. That gave them the two top female characters while Marvel is stuck with Carol Danvers who is at best uncharismatic and at worst unlikable
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

She’s a barely literate sexual predator. No Rogue would not make a better Captain Marvel.

BANNED

man its so funny how literally everyone came like vultures for carol like 2 years ago.

No, Rogue wouldn't be a better "Captain Marvel". The biggest hit carol took was because of CWII, and that would've been the case with any character. CWII is not who she is.

In 2015, CBR considered carol a top 20 character, and rogue was near 30

https://www.cbr.com/2015-top-100-dc-...s-master-list/

(keep in mind rogue's had movies, 2 nostalgic cartoons and more media presence than Carol did at the time).
    As far as leadership/confidence goes, carol was doing great hickman's and KSD's stuff back then, she had real fire
    Sales wise, Carol's mid 2000s series sold better than the rogue solos or minis pre-captain marvel
    Character-wise carol's got a great story, and personality. I feel in some ways the recent mother retcon hampered aspects of her origin of basically pushing herself to be better and managing the darker aspects of her personality that came from the kree magnitron rewriting or the brood experiments, which was really dynamic, and her struggles with addiction, depersonalization, trauma, mistakes she made were always engaging all the way from claremont, to busiek, to reed, and finally with KSD where she'd grown a lot.

As far as the title of the legacy goes, Carol is still a good choice. Remember, she was part of Mar-vells OG cast. She had a strong personal connection to the title, in some ways even stronger than genis/phyla because she knew the guy in person, and had her powers awakened because of him. You see this in Secret Avengers when she mourns him during AvX. She also has a personal connection via House of M. I'd also say rick jones would've been a good candidate for that legacy but thats neither here nor there now

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    She’s a barely literate sexual predator. No Rogue would not make a better Captain Marvel.
    leave the classism out please
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 09-01-2021 at 12:22 AM.

BANNED

One thing I also need to point out is that, the story of Rogue stealing Carol's powers has really become very infamous. That is what Carol is mostly known for, so to make Rogue become Captain Marvel will not only be to cynical, but nothing Rogue and Carol related will very get more famous than that story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    man its so funny how literally everyone came like vultures for carol like 2 years ago.

No, Rogue wouldn't be a better "Captain Marvel". We've seen the sales figures. The biggest hit carol took was because of CWII, and that would've been the case with any character. CWII is not who she is.

In 2015, CBR considered carol a top 20 character, and rogue was near 30

https://www.cbr.com/2015-top-100-dc-...s-master-list/

(keep in mind rogue's had movies, 2 nostalgic cartoons and more media presence than Carol did at the time).
    As far as leadership/confidence goes, carol was doing great hickman's and KSD's stuff back then, she had real fire
    Sales wise, Carol's mid 2000s series sold better than the rogue solos or minis pre-captain marvel
    Character-wise carol's got a great story, and personality. I feel in some ways the recent mother retcon hampered aspects of her origin of basically pushing herself to be better and managing the darker aspects of her personality that came from the kree magnitron rewriting or the brood experiments, which was really dynamic, and her struggles with addiction, depersonalization, trauma, mistakes she made were always engaging all the way from claremont, to busiek, to reed, and finally with KSD where she'd grown a lot.

leave the classism out please
    Actually while I have reversion for Carol , the vultures seem to have gotten more after 2 years. Carol is surviving right now because she had a movie that only even succeeded because it was part of the MCU well oiled machine. The reception for carol is very negative, Rogue is a far more beloved character than Carol and to my annoyance, I dont still like how I see push of some fans and the media to have Rogue show up in captain marvel 2.

From my research with carol, the problem seem to be about her lack of great story and personality, many fans feel she has none. if we are talking of personality, Rogue has a far bigger personal presence than Carol. rogue's southern belle charm personality is one of the most iconic in marvel comics. additionally while I stopped reading marvel comics faithfully on a regular basis, I still heard more about rogue been part of a team called uncanny avengers in the 2010s than anything i heard with carol.

the reality of carol is, marvel needed a wonder woman in the movies, so that is why carol started getting push and while she may have been a part of a cooperate success in movies, she is still a turn off for many fans and Kevin Feige already knows this. Her sequel movie is not even a solo film anymore. don't think it is a coincidence. Her movie in 2019 did her no favours. I always said Captain Marvel is a film that got lucky, Had it not been in the MCU and came out in the early 2000s, it would have bombed hard at the box office and gotten bad reviews like Jennifer Garner's Electra did in 2005.
    Last edited by Castle; 09-01-2021 at 12:40 AM.