Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Which Omnibus collections NEED to happen?

I've become a big fan of the DC and Marvel Omnibus format over the last couple of years. This is in spite of the production errors that crop up (mostly from DC, it seems) like the missing/duplicate page from the recent Fourth World Omnibus and the missing text from the Justice League International Omnibus.

The format is completely unwieldy and awkward to read, but I just love the sheer audacity of these 600-1000+ page books that enable you to go through large chunks of comics history in just a few volumes.

So, I was just wondering what people's ideas are for Omnibuses that you desperately want to see published that have not materialized as of yet. These could be from any and all comics companies -- even ones that currently don't publish in the Omnibus format.

For me, I'm really interested in everything up to the Bronze Age (say, pre-Crisis). Most stuff after that seems too recent for me to have a sense of nostalgia about it that I want to see it collected in the high-priced Omnibus format. Also, I prefer Omnis to be collected by series rather than by storyline. This is really not a problem for comics from Bronze Age or earlier as intertitle crossovers were not really commonplace.

Without further ado, here are my ideas:

DC COMICS
    - Sea Devils - a Silver Age series that only lasted 35 issues. Tailor-made for the Omni format as a single volume can package the entire series including the Showcase tryout issues of #27-29.
    - Rip Hunter, Time Master - another Silver Age series lasting 29 issues preceded by 4 Showcase tryouts.
    - Silver Age Metamorpho
    - Golden Age Aquaman
    - Silver Age Aquaman
    - Silver Age Superman
    - Silver Age Batman
    - Silver Age Martian Manhunter - the Detective backups followed by his House of Mystery run
    - Silver Age Challengers of the Unknown
    - Silver / Bronze Age DC Mystery titles: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love, Sinister House of Secret Love, Secrets of Haunted House, Ghosts, Witching Hour, The Unexpected
    - Jonah Hex
    - Mike Grell's Warlord
    - Sugar and Spike
    - Silver / Bronze Age Lois Lane
    - Silver / Bronze Age Jimmy Olsen

MARVEL COMICS
    - Conan the Barbarian - using the original coloring rather than the Dark Horse digital remastering
    - Savage Sword of Conan magazine
    - all other Marvel Conan related material each in its own Omni (e.g. King Conan, King Kull, etc.)
    - Crazy Magazine
    - Rampaging Hulk / Hulk! magazine
    - Golden Age Omnis with each character / title in its own series of books: Captain America, Human Torch, Sub-Mariner, Marvel Mystery, etc.
    - Marvel's teen comics characters each in their own Omnis: Patsy Walker, Millie the Model, etc.

ARCHIE COMICS
    - Little Archie
    - Sabrina the Teenage Witch
    - Josie / Josie and the Pussycats
    - Archie's Girls, Betty and Veronica
    - Golden Age MLJ Heroes - each character should get his own omnibus: Shield, Steel Sterling, Hangman, Wizard, etc.

HARVEY COMICS
    - Richie Rich (each series)
    - Casper (each series)
    - all the other long-running characters: Little Dot, Little Lotta, Spooky, Hot Stuff, etc.

Now, maybe the demand wouldn't be there to support expensive hardcover books of the Archie and Harvey stuff, but no reason a softcover Omnibus format couldn't be developed. The key is that the books would be at least 600 pages long, in full color (no Essentials/Showcases), and be in publication order for each series.

So, does anyone else want to see the books I listed above? Also, what books would you add?
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 02-11-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Astonishing Member

There is a ton of material from the 80s and 90s that needs to be collected.

I would love to see an omnibus series for the anthology titles put out. There's Marvel Comics Presents and Marvel Fanfare. Gong back some, there is Marvel premiere and Marvel Spotlight. It's good to see the Epic collection line including MF, MCP, and relevant graphic novels. But there are a lot of stories of minor characters that will never be covered in the Epic line.

I also would like to see creator specific omnibus come out. A Marvel Universe by Peter David collecting the issues he wrote outside of Hulk or X[Factor would be great. I could see a similar volume released for Dwayne McKuffie or Fabian Nicieza.

On the DC side, I would love to see them collect more of the post Crisis line. Captain Atom, L.E.G.I.O.N. or LoSH Five Years Later all deserve to have the full runs collected.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Totally down for the Conan The Barbarian Omnibus you mentioned.

Astonishing Member

Doctor Strange Omnibus 2.
    Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus 4.
    Marvel Team Up Omnibus.
    Peter Parker:Spectacular Spider-Man (vol:1) Omnibus.

Hello from the gutter Mad Hatter's Avatar

Marvel

Avengers by Roger Stern
    Thunderbolts by Busiek and Bagley
    Amazing Spider-Man by DeFalco/Frenz
    Amazing Spider-Man by Michelinie and Bagley
    Spectacular Spider-Man by DeMatteis/Buscema
    Iron Man by Michelinie & Layton volume 2
    Hulk by Peter David

DC

Swamp Thing by Alan Moore
    Jonah Hex (Gray/Palmiotti pre-new 52)
    The Question by Denny O'Neil
    JLA by Grant Morrison

Bonus:

Dark Horse libraries

Beasts of Burden
    Harrow County
    Age of Reptiles

Mighty Member

I'm of the opinion Marvel has done a much better job of mining omni worthy material than DC. There's A LOT of material I'd like to see collected from the 80's-00's from them. When we do the "most wanted omni polls" i have a hard time coming up with 10 marvel omni's that aren't currently in route (i.e. ASM, UXM). I can throw out 20 -30 for DC easily. Could be because their focus has been golden and silver age material as of late, and the relatively late acceptance of the omni market when compared to Marvel. As far as material OP listed, i don't think we NEED any of those lol. Different strokes and all I'd like to see more modern Spidey omni'd. A bagley volume, JMS, Slott, BND, Spectacular. USM!!! for the love of God!
    Last edited by awayne83; 02-11-2018 at 06:51 PM.

BANNED

Completely on board with Warlord, Swamp Thing, Jonah Hex, and Conan.

DC:

Ostrander Spectre (this most of all... I think Mandrake's style begs for oversized formats)
    Ostrander Suicide Squad
    All-Star Squadron
    original Kupperberg Checkmate

really random pick: the Grant/Semeiks Lobo run, including the issues from Grant's time on Demon

Marvel:
    Moench/Sienkiewicz Moon Knight
    Claremont New Mutants (if I'm being honest... primarily for the Sienkiewicz issues, but one Omni should cover the run to and through his entire time on the title)
    Claremont Uncanny X-Men 4 (& 5 if necessary), whatever it takes to bridge the gap between the 3rd UXM Omni and the 1st Claremont/Lee Omni

Independent:
    Matt Wagner's Grendel and Mage series... real, oversized Omnis, not the digest-sized Omnis the Grendel series was printed in.
    Last edited by GhostPirate; 02-11-2018 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Marvel

Avengers by Roger Stern
    Thunderbolts by Busiek and Bagley
    Amazing Spider-Man by DeFalco/Frenz
    Amazing Spider-Man by Michelinie and Bagley
    Spectacular Spider-Man by DeMatteis/Buscema
    Iron Man by Michelinie & Layton volume 2
    Hulk by Peter David

DC

Swamp Thing by Alan Moore
    Jonah Hex (Gray/Palmiotti pre-new 52)
    The Question by Denny O'Neil
    JLA by Grant Morrison

Bonus:

Dark Horse libraries

Beasts of Burden
    Harrow County
    Age of Reptiles
    Good choices all the way around. I have the Stern Avengers being custom bound right now actually!

Darkhawk
    Sleepwalker
    Robocop
    New Warriors vol. 2-3
    Marvel 2099
    Darkhold/Nightstalkers/Morbius/Spirits of Vengeance/Blade
    Night Thrasher/Speedball/Nova vol. 2
    What If? vol. 2
    Silver Sable & Wild Pack
    Terror Inc
    Nomad
    Wonder Man

Spectacular Member iPodwithnomusic's Avatar

I haven't read as much of the older stuff so my list is quite different, but below are the omnis I'm most hoping for:
    - Spider-Man: Big Time by Dan Slott
    - Uncanny X-Men by Matt Fraction
    - Uncanny Avengers by Gerry Duggan and Jim Zub

Sandman Mistery Theatre (i know it's not gonna happen)

I totally want all the Silver age omnibus in OP, but also want to add Morrison's JLA

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Marvel
    Black Panther Bronze Age Omni
    Moon Knight Bronze Age Omni - Moench
    Ghost Rider Bronze Age Omni
    The Incredible Hulk Silver Age Omni followups vol.2 and 3 at minimum
    New Avengers vol. 2 by Bendis
    Spectacular Spider-man vol.1 (may have to wait on MMW now though)
    Incredible Hulk by Peter David (multiple volumes and if completed would set a record for consecutive numbered volumes to date)

DC
    Flash by Mark Waid
    Martian Manhunter by Ostrander 90s series (Supergirl TV series makes this a must imo)
    Aquaman by Peter David
    JLA by Morrison
    Batgirl (Cassandra Cain)
    Birds of Prey by Chuck Dixon

Valiant
    Eternal Warrior Classic (90s)
    Rai Classic (90s)
    Bloodshot Classic (90s)
    I'd say the Gold Key characters but I know legally that can't happen at the moment(Solar, Magnus, Turok)

Dark Horse
    Captain Midnight
    Ghost
    X
    All of these from the newer series of Project Black Sky in proper oversized format, not that softcover digest style. I'd prefer DH redo the Ghost/X entries there as well
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

DC
    Golden Age Capt Marvel/Shazam - the must of musts
    Jonah Hex

Marvel
    The rest of Golden Age Cap
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-12-2018 at 01:18 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Wait, Green Arrow has gotten a Golden Age Omnibus, but Captain Marvel/Shazam hasn't?

Yeah, they need to release that right away.