Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Which Omnibus collections NEED to happen?

I've become a big fan of the DC and Marvel Omnibus format over the last couple of years. This is in spite of the production errors that crop up (mostly from DC, it seems) like the missing/duplicate page from the recent Fourth World Omnibus and the missing text from the Justice League International Omnibus.

The format is completely unwieldy and awkward to read, but I just love the sheer audacity of these 600-1000+ page books that enable you to go through large chunks of comics history in just a few volumes.

So, I was just wondering what people's ideas are for Omnibuses that you desperately want to see published that have not materialized as of yet. These could be from any and all comics companies -- even ones that currently don't publish in the Omnibus format.

For me, I'm really interested in everything up to the Bronze Age (say, pre-Crisis). Most stuff after that seems too recent for me to have a sense of nostalgia about it that I want to see it collected in the high-priced Omnibus format. Also, I prefer Omnis to be collected by series rather than by storyline. This is really not a problem for comics from Bronze Age or earlier as intertitle crossovers were not really commonplace.

Without further ado, here are my ideas:

DC COMICS
    - Sea Devils - a Silver Age series that only lasted 35 issues. Tailor-made for the Omni format as a single volume can package the entire series including the Showcase tryout issues of #27-29.
    - Rip Hunter, Time Master - another Silver Age series lasting 29 issues preceded by 4 Showcase tryouts.
    - Silver Age Metamorpho
    - Golden Age Aquaman
    - Silver Age Aquaman
    - Silver Age Superman
    - Silver Age Batman
    - Silver Age Martian Manhunter - the Detective backups followed by his House of Mystery run
    - Silver Age Challengers of the Unknown
    - Silver / Bronze Age DC Mystery titles: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love, Sinister House of Secret Love, Secrets of Haunted House, Ghosts, Witching Hour, The Unexpected
    - Jonah Hex
    - Mike Grell's Warlord
    - Sugar and Spike
    - Silver / Bronze Age Lois Lane
    - Silver / Bronze Age Jimmy Olsen

MARVEL COMICS
    - Conan the Barbarian - using the original coloring rather than the Dark Horse digital remastering
    - Savage Sword of Conan magazine
    - all other Marvel Conan related material each in its own Omni (e.g. King Conan, King Kull, etc.)
    - Crazy Magazine
    - Rampaging Hulk / Hulk! magazine
    - Golden Age Omnis with each character / title in its own series of books: Captain America, Human Torch, Sub-Mariner, Marvel Mystery, etc.
    - Marvel's teen comics characters each in their own Omnis: Patsy Walker, Millie the Model, etc.

ARCHIE COMICS
    - Little Archie
    - Sabrina the Teenage Witch
    - Josie / Josie and the Pussycats
    - Archie's Girls, Betty and Veronica
    - Golden Age MLJ Heroes - each character should get his own omnibus: Shield, Steel Sterling, Hangman, Wizard, etc.

HARVEY COMICS
    - Richie Rich (each series)
    - Casper (each series)
    - all the other long-running characters: Little Dot, Little Lotta, Spooky, Hot Stuff, etc.

Now, maybe the demand wouldn't be there to support expensive hardcover books of the Archie and Harvey stuff, but no reason a softcover Omnibus format couldn't be developed. The key is that the books would be at least 600 pages long, in full color (no Essentials/Showcases), and be in publication order for each series.

So, does anyone else want to see the books I listed above? Also, what books would you add?
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 02-11-2018 at 12:21 PM.