Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Default Shouldn't Hestia be her main patron?

Just a random thought. The lasso is one of the most commonly associated objects with Diana. Thanks in part to the movie, more people know that it has some relation to the goddess Hestia. Knowing this, wouldn't it make sense for Hestia to be more of a significant figure in her life? Has there ever been a time when she played a noteworthy role, and why isn't she used more?

I always thought Athena and Artemis would have made more sense because they both sworn off men and focused more on sisterhood.

Well, the thing is there are multiple Gods they have helped in the Amazon's creation. I mean she can have more than one Parton. Well in the myths she didn't go on many adventures and stayed at home. Well, Hestia is generally associated with protection. She is also more of a domestic god. Hestia never had and sear an oath off to men. One thing interesting is if you want her to be a bigger impact she is also the goddess of architecture. Athena is the goddess of civilization. So maybe the two helped create the country that the Amazons were from before they left to Paradise Island. Hestia also helped created the shield that hides the Island since she does deem the Amazons her family

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I always thought Athena and Artemis would have made more sense because they both sworn off men and focused more on sisterhood.
    Especially Artemis, considering that she and Diana are Greek/Roman equivalents. But still...no Hestia at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    Especially Artemis, considering that she and Diana are Greek/Roman equivalents. But still...no Hestia at all?
    She is a domestic god.Her status is more of the house them any of the other gods. So you could see her as the goddess of protection but she hasn't be used anymore because she doesn't do much in the myths. You can change that but how? You can do the architecture as her main thing. The Goddess of Protection and Architecture. She is a virgin to but she never well on adventure simply stated at home on Olympus. It would be interesting to see what they did with her but what could you do? She was all about state and home affairs but then you have that also being Athena's role of state affairs. she also gives up her title as one of the main Olympics. So maybe play on that
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 02-11-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    She is a domestic god.Her status is more of the house them any of the other gods. So you could see her as the goddess of protection but she hasn't be used anymore because she doesn't do much in the myths. You can change that but how? You can do the architecture as her main thing. The Goddess of Protection and Architecture. She is a virgin to but she never well on adventure simply stated at home on Olympus. It would be interesting to see what they did with her but what could you do? She was all about state and home affairs but then you have that also being Athena's role of state affairs. she also gives up her title as one of the main Olympics. So maybe play on that
    I read in some places that she is sometimes left off the main 12 roster of Olympians in favor of Dionysus. She's the goddess of the hearth, so...fire places, candles, fires at town/city squares...It seems she didn't have as many followers or rituals as the others but still...couldn't something be done with that? Maybe contrast her with Dionysus.

I read in some places that she is sometimes left off the main 12 roster of Olympians in favor of Dionysus. She's the goddess of the hearth, so...fire places, candles, fires at town/city squares...It seems she didn't have as many followers or rituals as the others but still...couldn't something be done with that? Maybe contrast her with Dionysus.
    Maybe due to what happened with Ares in Wonder Woman before he was poisoned. Maybe something like she becomes the goddess of fire, protection. Not only literally fire but the fire that loves and protection beings. Also, architecture goddess too. Something that could have happened in which she becomes more agressive.

Well Hestia is more obscure and part of the reason why Zeus was chosen as her dad is because people know him. Optics do matter.

I'd still choose Athena as Diana's personal favorite because she has qualities a young Diana would be interested in.

That doesn't mean Hestia can't be involved in the Amazon's way of life. I imagined most of the goddesses had a stake in building Paradise Island and the Amazon's way of life even if a few moved on to other ventures.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-11-2018 at 06:49 PM.

She is the goddess of family and protection. She could be the goddess who hide the Island but the other goddesses helped in adding with more protection of their own. She can be one of the many goddesses with the lasso. There have been multiple origins with the lasso. I mean why not have the lasso be from Athena and Hestia empowered it by the fire of protection and Athena for the truth

In a way, I can see Hestia more as the patron god of the Amazons as a whole rather than of Diana. Her status as the goddess of the right ordering of the home and the state would fit nicely with the utopic nature of the Amazon society (be it magic or technological).

The clay origin of Diana (which I strongly prefer) points toward a connection with Gaea. None of the other Greek goddesses feel like a really good fit for her: Aphrodite is too focused on sexuality, Athena has far too much daddy issues, Artemis is a goddess of the wilderness, Hera of marriage, and Demeter is a goddess of agriculture and the cycle of life and death (though her daughter Persephone picked up a lot of the latter aspect). Hestia in her turn likely is too passive, though she is probably the only one of the Greek gods who can be said to be able to solve problems in a non-violent way.

To add to the Athena issue: Athena is the goddess of wisdom, defensive war and strategy.

Now, defensive war and wisdom definitely is Wonder Woman's forte, but strategy… not so much. I read her much more as someone who leads by example and as an inspiration than as a planner. I see her orders as much more likely to be "follow me" than "you do that". Even when she creates impressive plans (like in A League of One), they are mainly focused on her own capabilities and what she herself can do.

Artemis is also the goddess of childbirth. Hestia is all the amazons parton in Perez’s. I can see Gaea being in Diana’s clay origin has she is the creation goddess. Perez did use Gaea. Not only that but Zeus and Hera were not Partons. I honestly go back and fought. I don’t mind if the main 12 or 13 if you included Hestia not main. But that’s you have Thetis and Gaea. So how many partons should they have?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 03-25-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    In a way, I can see Hestia more as the patron god of the Amazons as a whole rather than of Diana. Her status as the goddess of the right ordering of the home and the state would fit nicely with the utopic nature of the Amazon society (be it magic or technological).

The clay origin of Diana (which I strongly prefer) points toward a connection with Gaea. None of the other Greek goddesses feel like a really good fit for her: Aphrodite is too focused on sexuality, Athena has far too much daddy issues, Artemis is a goddess of the wilderness, Hera of marriage, and Demeter is a goddess of agriculture and the cycle of life and death (though her daughter Persephone picked up a lot of the latter aspect). Hestia in her turn likely is too passive, though she is probably the only one of the Greek gods who can be said to be able to solve problems in a non-violent way.
    Lol yeah according to the myths, she kinda seemed to keep to herself and stay out of family drama, playing up the passive, non aggressive role.

Which is mixed has the Amazons can be aggressive when they did to be. Hestia can't make a good main Parton has she generally wants to stay away from anything that would be drama-causing. She should be one of the partons but, not the main one. I think Gaea would be the best main Parton. That she made the Amazons and she raised them. She raised them in her own dimesnsion but when Ares caused trouble

In many ways, Gaea makes for a horrible patron—she's way to inactive and distant and primordial. The connection should likely be strong but impersonal and vague.

Hestia's withdrawal from her spot as one of the twelve Olympians is however an analogue to the way the Amazons withdrew from the world. Thus I think that while the Amazons initially might be connected to Aphrodite, it makes a lot of sense that Hestia had a hand in creating Themyscira and became more important to them over time.

BTW, I like the blessings take, where Diana receives various properties or gifts from the goddesses. She is not having any one of them as her own patron, but tries to balance all of them.