Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Its a good thing I'm not one of those people who latches on critical acclaim, cultural legacy and even moral righteousness to box office numbers, otherwise this would be a devastating blow to my entire world view.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Its a good thing I'm not one of those people who latches on critical acclaim, cultural legacy and even moral righteousness to box office numbers, otherwise this would be a devastating blow to my entire world view.
    What is your world view? Jumanji is Certified Fresh, ie critically acclaimed, the audiences love it, and it is making huge box office. Everything a studio could possibly want in a movie.

Why? It's an entertaining movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    What is your world view? Jumanji is Certified Fresh, ie critically acclaimed, the audiences love it, and it is making huge box office. Everything a studio could possibly want in a movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    Why? It's an entertaining movie.
    I'm not saying Jumunji is bad though, just that people should really stop moralizing box office numbers. The fact that Jumunji made more than Wonder Woman doesn't mean feminism is on the decline.

I'm not saying Jumunji is bad though, just that people should really stop moralizing box office numbers. The fact that Jumunji made more than Wonder Woman doesn't mean feminism is on the decline.
    Who said it did? That's a jump Evel Knievel couldn't had made.

GOOD.
    I'd love to see more reason to silence the "COMIC BOOK MOVIES RUIN CINEMA" cries, this success is a step in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    It outperformed all of them! Great. It was totally unexpected. Sony would be foolish to not greenlit a sequel.
    And more foolish if the suits let their ego ruin another project instead of giving it enough breathing space to be properly made.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    GOOD.
    I'd love to see more reason to silence the "COMIC BOOK MOVIES RUIN CINEMA" cries, this success is a step in the right direction.
    And more foolish if the suits let their ego ruin another project instead of giving it enough breathing space to be properly made.
    Jumanji is a comic book?
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Jumanji is a comic book?
    No. I didn't say that.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

GOOD.
    Yes that's true. Take time while making the next film even when you strike when the iron is hot. Jumanji was good. That's one of the main reasons it succeeded. Haven't seen it yet to form my own opinion about the film. But everything suggests that its a good fun film.

Who said that? It's such a puzzling sentence to make. How is feminism's 'decline' related to Jumanji? It makes no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    congrats to the movie, a proven fine combat against the comic book fatigue.
    But how do you suggest a fatigue is true? All comic book films of this year were respective highs of their mini franchises except Justice League. Thor 3 is the highest grossing Thor film. GoTG 2 outperformed the first one. Homecoming was the highest since the Amazing Spider-man series. Wonder Woman was the highest grossing origin superhero origin film. The trend suggests a rise rather then fall which would indicate fatigue. You might be unhappy with those films. That's completely fine. But all evidence points that there's no fatigue now. Even an R-rated Logan managed 600 million+ worldwide.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-13-2018 at 06:54 AM.

BANNED

its a truly good movie, and its successful

I was legit surprised how much I enjoyed it, everyone did a great job

Jack Black was the highlight for me though

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    its a truly good movie, and its successful

I was legit surprised how much I enjoyed it, everyone did a great job

Jack Black was the highlight for me though
    He was excellent. And I really really liked the end where they met up with Colin Hanks. That could have been handled so badly, but I felt like it was just right.

No. I didn't say that.
    Then how does this line make sense if one is not implying that Jumanji is a comic book movie?

Superhero shows are trash

They'll have a sequel that has almost no story but is a big attempt to set up the next four Jumanji movies.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Who said it did? That's a jump Evel Knievel couldn't had made.
    I obviously made up that example, though such claims really aren't that outlandish from the type of moralizing people do attach to box office numbers.

The Force Awakens is a good example, most people watched that film because they saw it as a return to 'classic' Star Wars, not because the cast was diverse. Yet people still heralded it as the success for diversity. Where as the box office 'failure' of The Last Jedi is more of the by product of people hearing the film was bad, rather than a backlash against the diverse cast of the film. Not to mention there could be numerous other reasons not enumerated here to explain the success and failures of a film.

Or you could look at Jumunji and say, how many people are heralding it as the death of CBMs, something I personally welcome at this point, though, do not think this is the case. I believe a superhero movie hasn't been the highest grossing film of the year since the Avengers. Why does Jumunji beating each of those films matter more when The Force Awakens, Jurassic World, Beauty and the Beast, etc all did the same?

Extraordinary Member

I obviously made up that example, though such claims really aren't that outlandish from the type of moralizing people do attach to box office numbers.

The Force Awakens is a good example, most people watched that film because they saw it as a return to 'classic' Star Wars, not because the cast was diverse. Yet people still heralded it as the success for diversity. Where as the box office 'failure' of The Last Jedi is more of the by product of people hearing the film was bad, rather than a backlash against the diverse cast of the film. Not to mention there could be numerous other reasons not enumerated here to explain the success and failures of a film.

Or you could look at Jumunji and say, how many people are heralding it as the death of CBMs, something I personally welcome at this point, though, do not think this is the case. I believe a superhero movie hasn't been the highest grossing film of the year since the Avengers. Why does Jumunji beating each of those films matter more when The Force Awakens, Jurassic World, Beauty and the Beast, etc all did the same?
    Because no one expected Jumanji to do this well. Jurassic World ect. are really big franchises.