View Poll Results: Could Rogue Have Made A Better Captain Marvel Than Carol Danvers?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Rogue already had the support she just needed the Marvel push!!

51 48.57%
  • No! Carol Danvers is still the better choice!

54 51.43%
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Could Rogue Have Made A Better Captain Marvel Than Carol Danvers?

Posted this in the Marvel Comics Thread but I did not see many X-Posters show up there yet so I figured I would post it here as well to get more thoughts on the subject.

The Question

"Could Rogue Have Made A Better Captain Marvel Than Carol Danvers?"

Purpose

The purpose of this thread is to analyze Rogue and Carol Danvers as characters to comic book fans and to the Marvel Universe as a whole. While also discussing the importance of the Captain Marvel title to the Marvel Universe and to Marvel Entertainment as a whole. With the ultimate purpose of determining who would have made a better Captain Marvel.

What This Thread Is Not!

Often people use threads like these to degrade characters or fans. THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR IT ! If you can not resist the urge to bash please do not post and take your opinions SOMEWHERE ELSE. Stick to the facts and your own personal reasoning as to why either Rogue or Carol should be Captain Marvel.

How The Idea Came About.

I just finished reading another outstanding issue of Uncanny Avengers and it made me realize yet again how far Rogue has come as a character. In her short time as an Avenger she really has done more and made more of an impact that a few Avenger "mainstays" . Rogues time as an Avenger leader and even her role as a X-Man has made her one of the most loved female characters in Marvels wheel house.

Comparatively Carol Danvers despite being an Avenger for most of her comic career has still yet to hold any strong footing with comic fans as a whole. Carol is a strong character in her own right but time and time again she seems be well below where she should be in sales, fan approval, and as a Marvel Icon like Captain America, Spider Man, and The Hulk.

So I have to ask ........With Rogues connection to Carol, Signature Powerset, and Characterization over the years could she have been a better character for Marvel to have pushed for Captain Marvel than Carol Danvers? Would her solo sell better? Would she be a better representation of Marvels brand? Could she have been a better example to the Marvel heroes and civilians?

Or is Carol Danvers still Marvels best choice to hold the title as Captain Marvel.

Note: For sake of those wondering in this scenario ....

Approach the idea from the perspective of what if phantom Mar-vell was written to being some where or doing something else during AvX and then inspired Rogue to claim his mantel?

And comparatively think how it already played out with Carol taking the mantel as her own.

If Yes. Rogue should be Captain Marvel the following would be true:

Kamala Khan would take on the mantel of Rogue in Ann Marie's stead. She would still be a Inhuman and still have very little to do with the X-Men.

Carol Danvers would still be active in the Marvel Universe as Mrs. Marvel or Warbird.

If No. Carol should be Captain Marvel.

Nothing would change and Rogue would still be doing what she is doing currently.

Everyone knows Carol is getting a movie and nothing will change Marvels push so there really isn't a need to bring up the movie. This is purely discussion among comic fans.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I like rogue way more than carol but i think making rogue captain marvel wouldn't work at all.

if she gets a push, it needs to be as rogue

Probably wouldn't but be interesting to discuss a leading X-Woman becoming Marvels star Super Hero.

If it would actually work that is....
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

As I said in the other thread:

That was a dark time for Rogue - Sure, she made up with Carol but I think becoming Captain Marvel wouldn't help her mentally- also don't feel she would be someone to take up a mantle only loosely linked to her.

As a business perspective, this could bring Rouge and X-Men fans (including myself) over to the book, possibly increasing sales, but the market is unpredictable
    I’ve just published my very first work on ‘Archive of Our Own’, under the same name as here. It is the first chapter of ‘I Am My Own Best Friend ~ An Emma Frost Road Trip’, which focuses on Emma between the events of IvX and Secret Empire, including the White Queen going on a road trip, to try and have fun!

You can read the story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15795663

I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it!

Monica Rambeau is the BEST Captain Marvel.

But if we're only comparing Carol and Rogue, then hell yes for the latter.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Monica Rambeau is the BEST Captain Marvel.

But if we're only comparing Carol and Rogue, then hell yes for the latter.
    Agreed!!!!

To the op, let Rogue be Rogue and let Captain Marvel be Captain Marvel.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 02-11-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I like rogue way more than carol but i think making rogue captain marvel wouldn't work at all.

if she gets a push, it needs to be as rogue
    I agree. IMO, the best thing to do is to put them in a team together and make them friendly rivals. Especially now that Rogue is a flying brick again This would also give them some time to talk things out.

I don't even know why Rogue fans would want for her to be Captain Marvel. Rogue has had a great run on the Avengers, it's a leader and has had a much bigger role there than Carol. Plus the Rogue & Gambit mini and she still gets to appear on X-Men events. She still can fly and have super strenght because she kept Wonder Man's powers. She has been on cartoons and movies as Rogue and is recognizable by her own name.

If it's about the push Carol is getting, Rogue wouldn't have that if she had the mantle because the point was for Carol to have her MCU movie. Fox deal just happened recently and isn't even done yet. And even then, Carol is the character they wanted, not "Captain Marvel". If Carol didn't had the Captain Marvel mantle, they would be making a Ms Marvel movie, not a Captain Marvel one about Mar-Vell or whatever.

With the way the poll is worded is clear that this is just another Carol vs Rogue competition that we always have. It's not just about who fits the Captain Marvel title better, because there's absolutely 0 reason why Rogue would ever take that or why it would make sense for her character.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't even know why Rogue fans would want for her to be Captain Marvel. Rogue has had a great run on the Avengers, it's a leader and has had a much bigger role there than Carol. Plus the Rogue & Gambit mini and she still gets to appear on X-Men events. She still can fly and have super strenght because she kept Wonder Man's powers. She has been on cartoons and movies as Rogue and is recognizable by her own name.

If it's about the push Carol is getting, Rogue wouldn't have that if she had the mantle because the point was for Carol to have her MCU movie. Fox deal just happened recently and isn't even done yet. And even then, Carol is the character they wanted, not "Captain Marvel". If Carol didn't had the Captain Marvel mantle, they would be making a Ms Marvel movie, not a Captain Marvel one about Mar-Vell or whatever.

With the way the poll is worded is clear that this is just another Carol vs Rogue competition that we always have. It's not just about who fits the Captain Marvel title better, because there's absolutely 0 reason why Rogue would ever take that or why it would make sense for her character.
    I seriously doubt that Carol would have a movie without the Captain Marvel title or if Marvel had full rights to all their characters. I also doubt even more so that a Ms. Marvel movie(thats not Kamala Khan) would ever happen in any scenario what so ever.

It's also not a Carol vs Rogue competition. Read the original post. If I wanted that I would have allowed people to talk smack about the characters.

If you do not like that Carol is even questioned for whatever reason as a fan just ignore the thread instead of accusing me of things I did not intend.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-11-2018 at 04:43 PM.

Well, I don't. Let Rogue be Rogue. Like I said, Rogue has no conection to the original Mar-vel. Everything Rogue took from Carol back in 1981, was gone by 2003. (Joe Q. did the slash and burn to all the major X-Gals who weren't Emma Frost) Rogue has no connection to the Kree or spent long periods in space. Let Carol keep the tittle and let Rogue be Rogue. But I still would still would like Rogue to continue in the Avengers books.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I seriously doubt that Carol would have a movie if Marvel had the X-Men. I also doubt even more so that a Ms. Marvel movie would ever happen in any scenario what so ever.

It's also not a Carol vs Rogue competition. Read the original post. If I wanted that I would have allowed people to talk smack about the characters.

If you do not like that Carol is even questioned for whatever reason as a fan just ignore the thread instead of accusing me of things I did not intend.
    "I seriously doubt that Carol would have a movie if Marvel had the X-Men"
    What does this have to do with anything? Yes, the MCU would be a lot different with the X-Men. A bunch of movies wouldn't have been made. But this doesn't answer my post in any way. What I'm saying is, on the reality that we actually live, where they did not had the X-Men, Rogue getting the Captain Marvel name instead wouldn't help her. They wouldn't want to push her because they wanted to push a character that could be on the MCU and be their female lead.

"I also doubt even more so that a Ms. Marvel movie would ever happen in any scenario what so ever."
    Because? You think(again, on our actual reality lol) Marvel would be making a movie about a character that has been dead for 35 years? That they would be making one about Monica Rambeau, a black woman, when it took 10 years for one with a black male lead? It's likely that changing Carol to Captain was planned because of the movie in the first place, but that still means that they wanted to make a movie about CAROL DANVERS, not any other character that had the title. My point stands that Rogue wouldn't be getting anything.

If it's not just another Carol vs Rogue competition, can you actually give a reason why it would be better if Rogue was Captain Marvel? Outside of a super hypothetical scenario where it's not only about that but the whole MCU and comics being different. Why do you think it makes sense for her character? If it's just because she took Carol's powers, then why wouldn't she be Ms Marvel instead? Should she be taking Carol's place as a cosmic hero on space? Or would it be just to do the same she has done now, but with a name that she isn't already known for on all of her other previous media appearances?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Well, I don't. Let Rogue be Rogue. Like I said, Rogue has no conection to the original Mar-vel. Everything Rogue took from Carol back in 1981, was gone by 2003. (Joe Q. did the slash and burn to all the major X-Gals who weren't Emma Frost) Rogue has no connection to the Kree or spent long periods in space. Let Carol keep the tittle and let Rogue be Rogue. But I still would still would like Rogue to continue in the Avengers books.
    I agree about that completely.

For a purely character point of view ... why would Rogue change her codename to Captain Marvel anyway? What would make her WANT to be Captain Marvel? It just doesn't strike me as being her.

"I seriously doubt that Carol would have a movie if Marvel had the X-Men"
    What does this have to do with anything? Yes, the MCU would be a lot different with the X-Men. A bunch of movies wouldn't have been made. But this doesn't answer my post in any way. What I'm saying is, on the reality that we actually live, where they did not had the X-Men, Rogue getting the Captain Marvel name instead wouldn't help her. They wouldn't want to push her because they wanted to push a character that could be on the MCU and be their female lead.
    I'm not choosing which character should or should not have the title Captain Marvel. I wanted to see what others thought. But to answer your question in the way you formed it ....I guess I would have to say Marvel would have never chosen Carol at all if they didn't have too. Process of elimination of characters they actually could use made Carol the only real choice for lead female in the MCU. It wasn't because they where dying to tell her story.

To go even further down that line of thought.....if they had the full rights Rogue very well could have been Captain Marvel if nothing else but to keep the name in Trademark while cashing on the branding with an already popular character. I really wouldn't put it past Marvel to make that choice, since we are talking about a company who took the Fantastic Four and the X-Men out of all their other advertisement and merch for years due to not having full rights to those characters. Changing Rogue to Captain Marvel is not even the most extreme thing they are would be willing to do.

"I also doubt even more so that a Ms. Marvel movie would ever happen in any scenario what so ever."
    Because? You think(again, on our actual reality lol) Marvel would be making a movie about a character that has been dead for 35 years? That they would be making one about Monica Rambeau, a black woman, when it took 10 years for one with a black male lead? It's likely that changing Carol to Captain was planned because of the movie in the first place, but that still means that they wanted to make a movie about CAROL DANVERS, not any other character that had the title. My point stands that Rogue wouldn't be getting anything.
    Rogue may not have gotten anything. But neither would any of the other characters you brought up would either.

If it's not just another Carol vs Rogue competition, can you actually give a reason why it would be better if Rogue was Captain Marvel? Outside of a super hypothetical scenario where it's not only about that but the whole MCU and comics being different. Why do you think it makes sense for her character? If it's just because she took Carol's powers, then why wouldn't she be Ms Marvel instead? Should she be taking Carol's place as a cosmic hero on space? Or would it be just to do the same she has done now, but with a name that she isn't already known for on all of her other previous media appearances?
    You really should chill out. Read the original post. I never really took aside so I never said that Rogue should be Captain Marvel. I'm also not going to take a side. Every post I made in both threads is just to support the question that is posed so that others can talk about the possibility and if it could or could not work.

Rogue being more so a fan favorite supports the question.

If given the opportunity could Rogue resonate better as Marvel's leading Hero? Or is Carol still the better choice for that?

That is the question. The name plays a factor in it sure. But it's not really about that. All it would take is for Rogue to be inspired by Mar-vell for her to be interested in the Name. Or Mar-vell to have respected Rogue enough in a scenario to offer it to her. Easy fixes that could have happened over a course of a few stories. Either way Marvel would never back a character as hard as they have Carol without the name. So it naturally comes along with the question.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-11-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    For a purely character point of view ... why would Rogue change her codename to Captain Marvel anyway? What would make her WANT to be Captain Marvel? It just doesn't strike me as being her.
    In the hypothetical.....during AvX she could have met Captain Mar-vell worked with him and been inspired by him to take the name. Her connection to Carol could help that experience.

To be honest the Mar-vell part of the equation is really the smallest part of it. Marvel as a company has already shown time and time again they really don't care about him. It's the actual name and brand they care about. They could/would come up with a way to make it work just to get the name on a character who could actually move comic books and merch.

What this thread is actually about is if Rogue could handle the mantel and what it stands for. While also discussing would the over all process/experience sell better.

Or on the opposite side if Carol is the only choice where those things can and could still happen.

BANNED

Rogue is more beautiful, more interesting and more likable.