View Poll Results: Could Rogue Have Made A Better Captain Marvel Than Carol Danvers?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Rogue already had the support she just needed the Marvel push!!

51 48.57%
  • No! Carol Danvers is still the better choice!

54 51.43%
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    Completely agree, Rogue is an infinitely better character, Carol has always been a terrible hero, and quite hypocritical, although her version of the MCU is even worse, it is simply impossible not to dislike her lol.
    What exactly is so bad? I don't love Carol, but she's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    Its sad but its true too.

If Rogue didnt perma absorb her she wouldnt be Binary, no Starjarmmers, no "drink problem" no character grow.

Rogue helped Carol to make her notorious. Even at this day the "feud" is adressed
    Well, in a way they both helped each other. But they've both moved past a lot of that and have expand their individual lore

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Man, I like Rogue more than Carol but terrible? Damn.

Deadpool and Quicksilver are terrible. Carol is probably in the misunderstood category with Herc and Hulk.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

Deadpool and Quicksilver are terrible. Carol is probably in the misunderstood category with Herc and Hulk.
    In my opinion, Carol is her own worst enemy. She has a bad habit of taking the "easy way out" without thinking out the long-term consequences of her actions or possible unitended repercussions. As far as Carol being a "hypocrite", Civil war II is one example. Carol championed that InHuman who could "see" the future and yet, back in her first series back in the late 1970s she grew to loath her "7th sense" power to the point she want it to end. Carol's 7th sense caused Carol physical and psychological torment and frustrated her that she couldn't control it. It would show her a future event but not the outcome. It would strike, out of the blue, without her trying to summon it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

I can see Deadpool being not for everyone, but why's Quicksilver bad?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    In my opinion, Carol is her own worst enemy. She has a bad habit of taking the "easy way out" without thinking out the long-term consequences of her actions or possible unitended repercussions. As far as Carol being a "hypocrite", Civil war II is one example. Carol championed that InHuman who could "see" the future and yet, back in her first series back in the late 1970s she grew to loath her "7th sense" power to the point she want it to end. Carol's 7th sense caused Carol physical and psychological torment and frustrated her that she couldn't control it. It would show her a future event but not the outcome. It would strike, out of the blue, without her trying to summon it.
    Um, aren't these hero vs hero conflicts full of OOC? Characters get changed to justify plots?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    What exactly is so bad? I don't love Carol, but she's ok.

Well, in a way they both helped each other. But they've both moved past a lot of that and have expand their individual lore
    Carol seems to me to be a pretty horrible character, not only as a hero but as a person as well, and the worst is very double standards, too hypocritical.

The only thing I like about her is hers flying brick powerset of hers which is very useful, plus nothing.

Carol from the comics, although I don't like it, I can tolerate it, the one from the mcu on the other hand is unbearable.

I can see Deadpool being not for everyone, but why's Quicksilver bad?

Um, aren't these hero vs hero conflicts full of OOC? Characters get changed to justify plots?
    The problem with Pietro is that he is a middle-aged man who behaves like a silly and immature child, Pietro has a too toxic relationship with Wanda, and he keeps ruining things.

He behaves like a teenager who does not follow the rules and continually spoils missions for the same reason, and for decades he stopped being a teenager.

And house of M, the fault was not Wanda, it was to a greater extent Doom and Magneto and Pietro, Pietro is the one who was manipulating a Wanda who was insane, if anyone deserves to receive hate for HOM it is Pietro Doom and Magneto, no Wanda.

Ultimate Member

Carol seems to me to be a pretty horrible character, not only as a hero but as a person as well, and the worst is very double standards, too hypocritical.

The only thing I like about her is hers flying brick powerset of hers which is very useful, plus nothing.

Carol from the comics, although I don't like it, I can tolerate it, the one from the mcu on the other hand is unbearable.
    I don't think she's that bad in either version. There's not even really enough MCU Carol to hate or like IMO. As for the comics version, I think she was only bad in CW2 but all hero vs hero events do that

The problem with Pietro is that he is a middle-aged man who behaves like a silly and immature child, Pietro has a too toxic relationship with Wanda, and he keeps ruining things.

He behaves like a teenager who does not follow the rules and continually spoils missions for the same reason, and for decades he stopped being a teenager.

And house of M, the fault was not Wanda, it was to a greater extent Doom and Magneto and Pietro, Pietro is the one who was manipulating a Wanda who was insane, if anyone deserves to receive hate for HOM it is Pietro Doom and Magneto, no Wanda.
    I see your point but isn't that just comics refusing to allow their characters to grow? And it's not like much has been done with him recently, as far as I know.

I don't think she's that bad in either version. There's not even really enough MCU Carol to hate or like IMO. As for the comics version, I think she was only bad in CW2 but all hero vs hero events do that
    Agreed, CM's role in the MCU is just build up to a bigger story, while the character arc for Rogue in the X-movies didn't amount to much.

Rogue should keep her codename it suits her. She's better as the anti-hero that has an interesting retribution arc. Claremont was probably exploring those femme fatale tropes, flipping the paradigm by making her predatory, not just to Carol, but also to Alison. She never reached Selene level violations and creepiness though.

With her military background, ambitions and blood connection to the name, Captain Marvel suits Carol more.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Agreed, CM's role in the MCU is just build up to a bigger story, while the character arc for Rogue in the X-movies didn't amount to much.

Rogue should keep her codename it suits her. She's better as the anti-hero that has an interesting retribution arc. Claremont was probably exploring those femme fatale tropes, flipping the paradigm by making her predatory, not just to Carol, but also to Alison. She never reached Selene level violations and creepiness though.

With her military background, ambitions and blood connection to the name, Captain Marvel suits Carol more.
    While Rogue as CM could make an interesting What If? as someone suggested earlier, and maybe we might even see that someday in the comics, I agree they work best in the roles they have now. CM's government background makes her fit more with the legacy of Mar-Vell, although Rogue being so different could offer an interesting contrast to that.

CM has more time to improve in the MCU. We'll see if Rogue shows up but it's possible.

I see your point but isn't that just comics refusing to allow their characters to grow? And it's not like much has been done with him recently, as far as I know.

The explanation would be very long lol, but I will try to summarize it starting with Pietro.

Pietro has done very bad things, the HOM practically him and Magento are to blame, much more than Wanda if I must be honest, also Pietro did questionable things with the terrigen mists when he wanted to regain his powers.

Later in the group that Rogue led, he questioned the orders all the time.... and did what he wanted, ruining missions and on one occasion almost cost Emily her life, that you have the same Wanda and Wasp told him that if he could not obey the orders Rogue was better off leaving the team.

But despite all this I do not dislike him, rather he is a bit silly and irresponsible.

With Carol ... the truth is there is a lot to say, her version of the mcu of her does not like me at all so I will concentrate on the comcis.

1) Before Rogue came into her life Carol was practically a filler and an opening act or possible love interest for Mar Vell, but with much lower powers.

2) Carol before her meeting with Rogue, although she had several powers, they were all very low, she was barely approaching Class 10 with luck and I doubt it, Rogue was a powerhouse with those powers and she was at least a class 60/65 because Rogue boosted the level of all those skills, strength, speed flight and invulnerability.

3) How I said the encounter with Rogue only benefited Carol as a hero, not only did she soon acquire the Binary level when the Broo experimented with her, but when she lost the Binary ability, Carol was in a good position of power, close to the Class 60/65 that Rogue had in those days, plus the plasma rays, that is, although it lost the Binary capacity it was much higher than its first version, that even people like Deathbird gave Carol problems lol.

4) Carol's best stories and her motivations arose precisely from her encounter with Rogue.

5) As a person she is terrible, I am sorry but I do not think she is a good person, when Rogue took away her powers, her memories and the emotions linked to them, Xavier was able to restore the memories of the empty shell that Rogue left, but he could not connect emotions and feelings to those memories because Xavier is not an empath, he is just a telepath, and Rogue took all powers memories and feelings and emotions, and Carol had to re-form those emotions with those people, and Carol did it with the Avengers and the xmen (because it suited him) but with his family ????
    that she was suffering from the separation from Carol, Carol gave her the same and did not try, for many years she did not want to try, and she did not really care about the suffering of her family, I'm sorry but a very good person It is not.

6) Carol had sex with her own son and gave birth to it all very bizarre, in addition to her problems with alcohol.

7) She is very hypocritical and false and terrible as a hero, Rogue has always been there for her, and she knows that Rogue is a great hero and they have saved the earth on more than one occasion by having Rogue, even so that woman does not leave go the past, when how I really explained it was not all that serious, Carol benefited from her encounter with Rogue.

8) As I said Carol always has Rogue, and once treacherously, Carol broke the ribs of ROGUE, who was there to help her, the same Beast who is Carol's friend, told Carol to leave the mansion for what he did to Rogue.

9) Gerra Civil 2 the truth left her in a very bad way.

10) I am very summarized, but how I said I can tolerate her but as a hero and her character she makes me terrible, I just like her powerset

Ultimate Member

Most of those are just things done to Carol by Marvel.

Astonishing Member

The horrible Marcus debacle (#6) was definitely not her fault.

It is possible that some things were not her fault but most of them YES, and they are what make her such an unpleasant and quite hypocritical character.

We cannot argue they are things that Marvel did to her ..... when she is part of that universe and they are part of her history.
    We are not going to just accept the good and ignore the bad, and in Carol's specific case, I see more bad things than good.

It is possible that some things were not her fault but most of them YES, and they are what make her such an unpleasant and quite hypocritical character.
    Carol is a hot mess, and a tragic hero, but that's appealing to many who want to see if she gets past her own insecurities and past victimization to bring dignity to the name CM. I'd argue her morals are as conflicted as any other Marvel character, and dependant on what the writer wants to do to with them to progress stories.

BANNED

From 1998 onward the comicbook character Carol got past her own insecurities and past victimization to bring dignity to the name Warbird