View Poll Results: Could Rogue Have Made A Better Captain Marvel Than Carol Danvers?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Rogue already had the support she just needed the Marvel push!!

51 48.57%
  • No! Carol Danvers is still the better choice!

54 51.43%
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Except that doesn't happen. She's either gains a fraction of the victim's power or some form equivalence. And again, this is combat-based fiction so dominance is part of the path of obtaining victory.
    It does after she permanently absorbed Carol’s and Simon’s powers permanently.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    It does after she permanently absorbed Carol’s and Simon’s powers permanently.
    She only got their flight, enhanced strength and durability unless someone forgot Carol had energy powers and Simon had his ionic energy nonsense.
    "Cable was right!"

She only got their flight, enhanced strength and durability unless someone forgot Carol had energy powers and Simon had his ionic energy nonsense.
    Which still made her physically stronger than many of her opponents.

Which still made her physically stronger than many of her opponents.
    Debatable. She lost to people like Sabretooth and the Marauders.
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member

In real-life, yes, but I don't waste my time applying real-life logic to comics and cartoons.
    Um, then what's the point of heroes and villains? If anything goes, then who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    While not directed at me I will say I want to point back to what i said about numerals not as good a argument as people think when trying to be an ally. Ratios are hard to quantify so what is the direct number of characters that need to look like a certain person before it becomes wrong to do that?
    The point is making a non-White character White takes away from the relatively few non-White characters, but doing the reverse isn't as bad because there are still so many White characters

Totally, and that was my point at the beginning. Being able to distinguish between good arguments and bad faith arguments are important to understanding racism and social inequalities. If you seek to empower others its also your duty to challenge the bad faith arguments. Not excuse them under the guise that they were oppressed so they get a free pass. If you seek to empower you are also responsible if things get out of hand. That's probably been the biggest struggle I've had explaining to people is that if you elevate it's more than just through support. It's through helping build strong foundations. Foundations built on lies or weak arguments don't last. It leads to chaos.
    Yeah, but a lot of times legitimate arguments against social inequalities get dismissed, so it's understandable if people become a bit zealous

Except that doesn't happen. She's either gains a fraction of the victim's power or some form equivalence. And again, this is combat-based fiction so dominance is part of the path of obtaining victory.
    She still overpowered another person, didn't she? That's the main point here

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Um, then what's the point of heroes and villains? If anything goes, then who cares?

The point is making a non-White character White takes away from the relatively few non-White characters, but doing the reverse isn't as bad because there are still so many White characters

Yeah, but a lot of times legitimate arguments against social inequalities get dismissed, so it's understandable if people become a bit zealous

The point is for the story to be enjoyable. Sometimes real-world logic shouldn't be applied to fiction.

As I said, these are combat-based stories so winning is the point which means you have to overpower your opponent. Rogue using her powers in such a method especially when most of her opponents wear full-covering costumes is only a means to achieve victory.
    "Cable was right!"

Mighty Member

So again I am noticing a pattern of the arguments that reduce all the characters to their racial makeup. Where it shouldn't be a problem for whites people because they have other white characters. Everyone has characters they like for more than skin color. And I think identifying things based on ratios and percentages is too mathematical to approach art. There's more nuance to this. Attachment to characters. We aren't talking about changing the race of forgotten characters to boost them up, we are talking about changes to already popular as is characters like hand me down clothes. That's the issue a lot of people have.

you're assuming every argument is legitimate. There are people who move their way into legit augments to push a narrative that they want. And they try to make it too noisy for people to distinguish between who are legit and who are just ambitious opportunists.

Fighting is not the only kind of power. And physical strength is not always the strongest tool to have as a mutant.

BANNED

Debatable. She lost to people like Sabretooth and the Marauders.
    She broke Sabretooth’s skull open with the Wonder Man powers. She’s stronger than most opponents.

Ultimate Member

The point is for the story to be enjoyable. Sometimes real-world logic shouldn't be applied to fiction.
    Ok but when does one decide to change that? Because what one enjoys, another may not.

As I said, these are combat-based stories so winning is the point which means you have to overpower your opponent. Rogue using her powers in such a method especially when most of her opponents wear full-covering costumes is only a means to achieve victory.
    Yeah, but that doesn't change the fact of how she does it.

So again I am noticing a pattern of the arguments that reduce all the characters to their racial makeup. Where it shouldn't be a problem for whites people because they have other white characters. Everyone has characters they like for more than skin color. And I think identifying things based on ratios and percentages is too mathematical to approach art. There's more nuance to this. Attachment to characters. We aren't talking about changing the race of forgotten characters to boost them up, we are talking about changes to already popular as is characters like hand me down clothes. That's the issue a lot of people have.
    I mean, that's easy to say, but a lot of these characters weren't allowed to be anything but White. And have stuck around for decades while non-White ones got ignored or dropped. I don't recall anyone reducing these characters to just "race" or "skin color." But when they're mostly the same kind, and everyone else gets marginalized, calling that out isn't "too mathematical" or whatever. It's just demanding more equitable representation, and nothing's wrong with that. Especially considering how the X-Men always preach about civil rights and oppression yet focus on the most privileged mutants

you're assuming every argument is legitimate. There are people who move their way into legit augments to push a narrative that they want. And they try to make it too noisy for people to distinguish between who are legit and who are just ambitious opportunists.
    Yeah, but again, that kind of accusation is thrown at anyone demanding equality.

Fighting is not the only kind of power. And physical strength is not always the strongest tool to have as a mutant.
    Yeah but in this case she did exactly that.

Spectacular Member

In Carol's case she didn't have the energy powers at the time. Just the flight, strength and durability. Also a weird, ill defined seventh sense thing that most writers forgot about.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowedeyes View Post
    In Carol's case she didn't have the energy powers at the time. Just the flight, strength and durability. Also a weird, ill defined seventh sense thing that most writers forgot about.
    Wasn't it similar to Spider-sense but more "cosmic"?

Spectacular Member

Kinda from what I remember. I think it was supposed to be a weaker version of Mar-Vell's cosmic awareness ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowedeyes View Post
    Kinda from what I remember. I think it was supposed to be a weaker version of Mar-Vell's cosmic awareness ability.
    This is exactly what it was.

Ultimate Member

This is exactly what it was.
    Does she still have it in any capacity?

Does she still have it in any capacity?
    She hasn’t shown it since her genetic template was wiped clean in XXM.