View Poll Results: Could Rogue Have Made A Better Captain Marvel Than Carol Danvers?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Rogue already had the support she just needed the Marvel push!!

51 48.57%
  • No! Carol Danvers is still the better choice!

54 51.43%
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    There are more out there, like with the Juggernaut in Edinborough, against Rom, and during Fatal Attractions just to name a few. Your argument holds no water, so you’re flailing about trying to distract from the point that your argument is bullshit.
    You're in no position to call someone's argument "bullshit". Unless you have poor reading comprehension, the stories already show that Rogue doesn't get sexual gratification from using her powers and the kissing is just a distraction in-universe and just some humour for the reader. So ease up on the slander.
    "Cable was right!"

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    You're in no position to call someone's argument "bullshit". Unless you have poor reading comprehension, the stories already show that Rogue doesn't get sexual gratification from using her powers and the kissing is just a distraction in-universe and just some humour for the reader. So ease up on the slander.
    Sexual assault isn’t always about sexual gratification, it’s about asserting power and dominance. Which is what those images show. Nothing I’ve said is slander, so come back when you have a legitimate argument, and not some bullshit.

Sexual assault isn’t always about sexual gratification, it’s about asserting power and dominance. Which is what those images show. Nothing I’ve said is slander, so come back when you have a legitimate argument, and not some bullshit.
    It's stories about people beating each other up so elements of power and dominance will always be present and you're just trying to bend it to push some silly narrative.
    "Cable was right!"

It's stories about people beating each other up so elements of power and dominance will always be present and you're just trying to bend it to push some silly narrative.
    As opposed to downplaying Rogue’s predatory behavior?

As opposed to downplaying Rogue’s predatory behavior?
    Now we're just going in circles cuz I already mentioned that I haven't seen a story where it explains that Rogue resorts to snogging for sexual gratification and you responded that sexual assault doesn't require sexual gratification which sounds like utter rubbish since even non-criminal perverts require some form of sexual stimuli in pursuing their habit.
    "Cable was right!"

Now we're just going in circles cuz I already mentioned that I haven't seen a story where it explains that Rogue resorts to snogging for sexual gratification and you responded that sexual assault doesn't require sexual gratification which sounds like utter rubbish since even non-criminal perverts require some form of sexual stimuli in pursuing their habit.
    You really don’t understand what sexual assault is, nor what Rogue’s actions constitute, do you?

You really don’t understand what sexual assault is, nor what Rogue’s actions constitute, do you?
    I wouldn't condone going around kissing and groping random people in real life but labelling Rogue as a sexual predator still seems far-fetched.
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member

I wouldn't condone going around kissing and groping random people in real life but labelling Rogue as a sexual predator still seems far-fetched.
    Don't those actions constitute some kind of offense, though?

Here’s some reading material. Hopefully you’ll be able to understand what’s transpired.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psy...ut-power%3famp
    https://www.valleycrisiscenter.org/s...exual-assault/

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Don't those actions constitute some kind of offense, though?
    In real-life, yes, but I don't waste my time applying real-life logic to comics and cartoons.
    "Cable was right!"

Here’s some reading material. Hopefully you’ll be able to understand what’s transpired.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psy...ut-power%3famp
    https://www.valleycrisiscenter.org/s...exual-assault/
    Not bad. This one also supports both our views.
    https://www.encyclopedia.com/social-...redator-sexual

However, your power dynamic theory still holds no water since it explains that the offenders "occupies a more powerful or dominant position in relation to the victim" which isn't the case with Rogue who uses her abilities on other super-beings like herself. Even then that article is geared towards male offenders and pivots to complain about that Trump guy.

Here's another one where they attempted some studies on female offenders albeit their victims weren't adults.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892846/
    "Cable was right!"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You're really going there? There are far fewer Black characters, so of course changing a White one to a Black one is different and more accepted than the reverse. And this is pretty rich coming from a fan of a franchise which claims to be about civil rights
    While not directed at me I will say I want to point back to what i said about numerals not as good a argument as people think when trying to be an ally. Ratios are hard to quantify so what is the direct number of characters that need to look like a certain person before it becomes wrong to do that?

Yes, not all toxic behavior is caused by inequality. There are some correlations, though.
    Totally, and that was my point at the beginning. Being able to distinguish between good arguments and bad faith arguments are important to understanding racism and social inequalities. If you seek to empower others its also your duty to challenge the bad faith arguments. Not excuse them under the guise that they were oppressed so they get a free pass. If you seek to empower you are also responsible if things get out of hand. That's probably been the biggest struggle I've had explaining to people is that if you elevate it's more than just through support. It's through helping build strong foundations. Foundations built on lies or weak arguments don't last. It leads to chaos.

How is this prudish? Since when do prudish people care about sexual assault?[/QUOTE]

Mighty Member

I want to say a few things as well to add to the conversations

1.predatory behavior is not limited to intercourse. It can be from physical attack to no physical contact like unconsenting voyerism. There are degrees but predatory behavior is not limited to sex.

2. We keep mentioning it's about power, but in a fight the fight itself is the baseline. We can say things like nobody should kiss someone without consent, well the same can be said for no hitting people without consent. Violence is just as invasive. But the thing is violence of any kind is someone attempting to touch you.

3. supernatural stories often carry with it a defining trait of less structure. The concept of the vampire has carried with it a undertone of sexual liberation when you are not confined to the rules of the human world.

4. I ask if the kiss itself really is offensive to people. Or do people see the kiss as a way to discuss a topic that matters a great deal to people. What I'm asking is does the kiss on its own invoke anger or is it more the symbolism. Because while I see the issues of it. I ask if the kissing alone is very offensive to anyone.

Not bad. This one also supports both our views.
    https://www.encyclopedia.com/social-...redator-sexual

However, your power dynamic theory still holds no water since it explains that the offenders "occupies a more powerful or dominant position in relation to the victim" which isn't the case with Rogue who uses her abilities on other super-beings like herself. Even then that article is geared towards male offenders and pivots to complain about that Trump guy.

Here's another one where they attempted some studies on female offenders albeit their victims weren't adults.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892846/
    Except Rogue’s dominance comes from being physically more powerful than her victims when absorbing her victims.

Except Rogue’s dominance comes from being physically more powerful than her victims when absorbing her victims.
    Except that doesn't happen. She's either gains a fraction of the victim's power or some form equivalence. And again, this is combat-based fiction so dominance is part of the path of obtaining victory.
    "Cable was right!"