View Poll Results: Could Rogue Have Made A Better Captain Marvel Than Carol Danvers?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Rogue already had the support she just needed the Marvel push!!

51 48.57%
  • No! Carol Danvers is still the better choice!

54 51.43%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Lightbulb Could Rogue Have Made A Better Captain Marvel Than Carol Danvers?

The first season of What If...? premiered on August 11, 2021, and consists of nine episodes.
    One of the episodes is to be...

...WHAT IF Rogue became...
    Captain Marvel?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    The first season of What If...? premiered on August 11, 2021, and consists of nine episodes.

Captain Marvel?
    Well that’s a look. Lol. I don’t think Rogue would be showing any skin but hey it’s fun and I enjoy fun.

Mighty Member

I agree with what someone here said about I prefer keeping the mutants and other Marvel stuff kinda seperate. X-men have the ability to overrun marvel because you can easily just make another one out of thin air whenever

In addition I highly doubt Marvel would put a southern semi problematic white girl as their titular hero. They want someone more generic. And especially with the current political climate and the kinda stigma around southern white communities I don’t think Rogue is a great choice for Captain Marvel. I even suspect when Rogue comes to the MCU she is a prime candidate to be racebent to be more friendly to the larger MCU audience. Rogue as a character is kinda a old school white southern belle and I just don’t think those kinda white southerner characters can resonate with younger audiences. I’m actually wondering if Rogue should be replaced all together.

In short keep Captain Marvel as Carol as she has more universal appeal than a white southern gal
    Last edited by Gripstir; 08-31-2021 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Typed wrong name in last sentence

BANNED

I voted No. Let carol keep the mantle. rogue's story turned out perfect as it is.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Not even in that gawd-awful fucking mess of an outfit! No, she can't. Rogue is Rogue is Rogue.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ultimate Member

Why would she become Captain Marvel? She's not connected to that legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I agree with what someone here said about I prefer keeping the mutants and other Marvel stuff kinda seperate. X-men have the ability to overrun marvel because you can easily just make another one out of thin air whenever

In addition I highly doubt Marvel would put a southern semi problematic white girl as their titular hero. They want someone more generic. And especially with the current political climate and the kinda stigma around southern white communities I don’t think Rogue is a great choice for Captain Marvel. I even suspect when Rogue comes to the MCU she is a prime candidate to be racebent to be more friendly to the larger MCU audience. Rogue as a character is kinda a old school white southern belle and I just don’t think those kinda white southerner characters can resonate with younger audiences. I’m actually wondering if Rogue should be replaced all together.

In short keep Captain Marvel as Rogue as she has more universal appeal than a white southern gal
    Carol is also White, though.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Why would she become Captain Marvel? She's not connected to that legacy.

Carol is also White, though.
    I accidentally typed Rogue in my last sentence I meant keep Carol. But as for story anything can be written as fiction. Rogue could be a fish out of water story or anything else. She doesn’t need the legacy. She can absorb powers.

Also yes Carol is white but a different kinda. Southern white people have a different stigma of racism and when people hear Rogues voice as a white woman some people hate that. So swapping her race would make sense so people don’t hate Rogue and I really believe Disney could do that to avoid having a prominent white southern girl. So there is zero chance she should be Captain Marvel.

In short keep Captain Marvel as Carol as she has more universal appeal than a white southern gal
    Funny thing though. Rogue has lived her entire adult life as a resident of the United States North East, primarily in New York. Before moving to New York, Rogue was living in Virginia. Maybe people can start calling Rogue a Carpet bagger like people did Hillary Clinton when she was running for the U.S. Senate in New York...
    Last edited by mikeb; 08-31-2021 at 03:44 PM.

BANNED

I accidentally typed Rogue in my last sentence I meant keep Carol. But as for story anything can be written as fiction. Rogue could be a fish out of water story or anything else. She doesn’t need the legacy. She can absorb powers.

Also yes Carol is white but a different kinda. Southern white people have a different stigma of racism and when people hear Rogues voice as a white woman some people hate that. So swapping her race would make sense so people don’t hate Rogue and I really believe Disney could do that to avoid having a prominent white southern girl. So there is zero chance she should be Captain Marvel.
    Rogue is from the deep south and talks with a heavy deep southern accent, the cartoon in the 90s also implied her father who disowned her after he discovered she was a mutant was a red neck working class man.

Also in one of the episodes, I believe it was Time Fugitives. she calls Craydon Creed Peckerwood, which in the south is a slang term for ''white trash'', meaning Rogue clearly has a strong knowledge of the social class of the American south and that will make sense because she is from Mississippi. In fact I am shocked the word (Peckerwood) was used in that cartoon, but then again X-MEN TAS was very adult orientated.

Rogue deep southern identity is part of her character. a very important part. why swap that? swapping that for a more polished My Fair Lady Angelic Rogue will be dumbing down the character.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-31-2021 at 04:08 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post

Captain Marvel?
    I am taking this is a fan poster. Last I checked marvel said neither x-men or f4 will appear in their what if show.

Also now I think of things deeper. Jean is already called Marvel girl. How many female characters need to go around with the marvel title in their code names.

X-MEN should handle only one.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Rogue is from the deep south and talks with a heavy deep southern accent, the cartoon in the 90s also implied her father who disowned her after he discovered she was a mutant was a red neck working class man.

Also in one of the episodes, I believe it was Time Fugitives. she calls Craydon Creed Peckerwood, which in the south is a slang term for ''white trash'', meaning Rogue clearly has a strong knowledge of the social class of the American south and that will make sense because she is from Mississippi. In fact I am shocked the word (Peckerwood) was used in that cartoon, but then again X-MEN TAS was very adult orientated.

Rogue deep southern identity is part of her character. a very important part. why swap that? swapping that for a more polished My Fair Lady Angelic Rogue will be dumbing down the character.
    Rogue has always been problematic. Calling Remy swamp rat for example. It’s something we all love about her. But Disney is a global business with markets all over the world. They absolutely want generic to appeal to mass audiences. Race bending a white girl would make her more marketable because southern white girls have bad reputations and could fall into white savior.

Again I’m not saying they should I’m saying how Disney looks at things. Think of how they changed the Ancient one in Doctor Strange to avoid angering China.

But you also look at horror movies. White southern society is almost always displayed as backward thinking idiots and cults.
    Changing Rogue to be more progressive seems to be the go to move to protect against Twitter backlash when X-men movies come out. Do I like that Twitter controls so much of what Disney chooses to do? No. Do I accept it happens? Yes

Rogue is at the top of the most popular mutant characters and is always one of the most loved in animations, so you are completely wrong.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

The correct answer is Monica. And I preferred and found Carol more interesting as Binary. I don't think Rogue would be good as a Ms. Marvel personally.

Ultimate Member

Well, even if she was from the North, or Canada, Rogue still probably wouldn't be Captain Marvel. However I doubt people would negatively react to her accent. I don't mind her being raceswapped considering the history of X-Men appropriating minority experiences, but Idk if disney thinks it's necessary

Rogue has always been problematic. Calling Remy swamp rat for example. It’s something we all love about her. But Disney is a global business with markets all over the world. They absolutely want generic to appeal to mass audiences. Race bending a white girl would make her more marketable because southern white girls have bad reputations and could fall into white savior.

Again I’m not saying they should I’m saying how Disney looks at things. Think of how they changed the Ancient one in Doctor Strange to avoid angering China.

But you also look at horror movies. White southern society is almost always displayed as backward thinking idiots and cults.
    Changing Rogue to be more progressive seems to be the go to move to protect against Twitter backlash when X-men movies come out. Do I like that Twitter controls so much of what Disney chooses to do? No. Do I accept it happens? Yes
    Well, no offense to the South, but it is behind in many metrics of living. Doesn't mean they should be stereotyped at all, but all of the USA is stereotyped, and compared to how minorities are portrayed, the South gets off relatively well IMO.

And how did you surmise Twitter controls Disney? That's ludicrous. Many on Twitter and other social media criticized Ancient One being played by a Scottish actress, and they were right to do so. If X-men continue their whole "majority heroes as minorities" shtick, they should get backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    The correct answer is Monica. And I preferred and found Carol more interesting as Binary. I don't think Rogue would be good as a Ms. Marvel personally.
    I think Monica would be good if she returned to Captain marvel. I don't see it happening, but then again we have two Spider-Men and two Hawkeyes.

BANNED

This is a de ja vu because on the marvel fourm, someone already told me this but this time with how they changed Tony Stark's character to fit Disney's reputation more.

But X-MEN was not really horror. I also seem to recall Rogue was part of a wave to bring more culture to x-men in the post 70s era and beyond. Nightcrawler was german, Storm was african, Colossus was Russian, Gambit was Cajun, Kitty was Jewish, Rogue was a southern belle

Rogue to be more progressive seems to be the go to move to protect against Twitter backlash when X-men movies come out. Do I like that Twitter controls so much of what Disney chooses to do? No. Do I accept it happens? Yes
    True, although the reason we should never confused Twitter hype and backlash with actual substance as many seem to do. Disney needs twitter for marketing, however us old school fans we care more about the real substance of our stories and part of that is when our stories never play it safe.
    Last edited by Castle; 09-01-2021 at 02:22 AM.