Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post

It won't work on a Balrog even if any of them were particularly adept at casting it (which they specifically aren't)
    Eh, Harry gets pretty damn good at it in 7, using it in the ministry and in Gringotts. And Goblins are supposed to be somewhat magic-resistant at the basic level.

And why exactly would it just fail outright on the Balrog? I don't recall any specific feats for resisting mind control by any of them. But I could be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I recall the book versions spending months in the wilderness. Did that not happen in the movies?

I was going to point out that the Potterverse has an entire school of magic devoted to shielding the mind, but only. Harry was specifically trained in it AFAIK and I don't think he was very good it. That said, given time to study and books to study for it, there's little doubt in my mind Hermione could learn said school or otherwise come up with something to insulate the ring. Extra dimensional storage space, for example. But the kids pretty nerfed here.

That being said, if they do succumb to the ring, they should rather easily be able to murder the Fellowship sans Gandalf rather trivially, and I'm not even sure if Gandalf can take them. HP magic is stupid versatile.
    They spent a long time in the wilderness both in the 7th book and the part one of the Deathly Hallows film (which followed the book pretty closely).

Gandalf's big weakness in a fight with the kids here is that his magic generally requires some gestures or charge-up, and isn't generally that dramatic offensively in any case. HP stuff does NOT have these problems, and Gandalf specifically lacks feats for resisting paralyzation, mind control, stunning, death curses, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Eh, Harry gets pretty damn good at it in 7, using it in the ministry and in Gringotts. And Goblins are supposed to be somewhat magic-resistant at the basic level.
    The Goblin kept breaking free . In fact Harry explicitly notes "I don't think I did it strongly enough.."
    And why exactly would it just fail outright on the Balrog? I don't recall any specific feats for resisting mind control by any of them. But I could be mistaken.
    In general all Maia have some form of mental ability. Even Durin's Bane was able to "perceive" Gandalf behind a closed door. Although Balrogs don't have outright mental resistance feats they do throw down in fights with folks like Glorfindel who beat people like the witch king that bring an entire battlefield to standstill momentarily with a fear aura thing

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    They spent a long time in the wilderness both in the 7th book and the part one of the Deathly Hallows film (which followed the book pretty closely).

Gandalf's big weakness in a fight with the kids here is that his magic generally requires some gestures or charge-up, and isn't generally that dramatic offensively in any case. HP stuff does NOT have these problems, and Gandalf specifically lacks feats for resisting paralyzation, mind control, stunning, death curses, etc.
    The guy survived a fall into a crevice who's depths where thought to be endless, then fought for days in a magical battle that was described as akin to a thunderstorm from afar

Except for the death curse, I doubt paralyzing and the others would work. Mind control not at all considering he ignored sarumans voice which is at least as good as Imperious cast by Harry level folks

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    The guy survived a fall into a crevice who's depths where thought to be endless, then fought for days in a magical battle that was described as akin to a thunderstorm from afar

Except for the death curse, I doubt paralyzing and the others would work. Mind control not at all considering he ignored sarumans voice which is at least as good as Imperious cast by Harry level folks
    That's really comparing apples to oranges though: Gandalf has lovely physical durability from the Balrog fight, but he doesn't have any feats for resisting the other stuff. OK, I'll grant the argument that he'd probably have decent resistance to Imperious, but against AK or transmutation or magical physical paralysis? He has nothing at all showing the slightest resistance to any of those.

Hell, Voldy could probably just send in a flight of dementors to waste the whole group. He wouldn't even have to move to do it. None of them are capable of a Patronus, and all of them have souls somewhere, so it's bye bye.