Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Would a book like 'X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills' be made today?

So the other night I finally got around to reading the graphic novel God Loves, Man Kills by Chris Claremont and I loved it. Such a good X-Men story, really showed why I love that franchise and Claremot as a writer. However, one thing that struck me was how overtly 'political' this book could be considered. I mean, the main villain is a charismatic TV evangelical Reverend man who used every trick in the book to peddle religious dogma and bigoted hatred. I cannot help but to think that such a book coming out in this day and age would be chastised for being overtly political and an attack on religion. This seems to be a perfect example to use in the argument that Marvel comics have always had plotical edges to them.

Not to mention how dark some of the scenes are. I mean, the first few pages have kids being killed and hug up.

Under Disney? Hard to say.

But Steve became a fascist and blew up Las Vegas so i'd like to think yeah it would.

Yes, it definitely can be made today. But it would most likely be badly written and tone-deaf.(and not because of Disney)

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Funny you should mention this. I was just reading the history of Jim Jones and the Peoples Temple of the Disciples of Christ. Yes, "God Loves, Man Kills" could be written and published today, but the readership's response to it would be much more heated and vocal. You can't attack the belief or the belief system, but you can blow holes in the wrongful acts and behaviors caused by said belief system.

I think it absolutely would. I think the xmen comics especially are not afraid to deal with real world issues.

They might make it a bit more heavy handed though

Amazing Member

Yes and no. The concept could certainly be executed but could the material/politics be presented with the nuance and maturity that Claremont brought to it? Id have to say no, Marvel doesn't have anyone writing on that level at the moment.

As for the reaction surely it'd be controversial now, just as I'm sure it was then but the real deciding factor both then and now is whether the writer is able to tackle the subject matter they are using in a way that transcends perceived partisan politics. Claremont was a smart guy who understood being an outsider enough to be able to relate that to a wide audience and use the outcast metaphor in a way that applied to a huge variety of groups. Anyone could pick up Claremonts Xmen and relate to how it feels to be the people in his stories at some point or another.

On the other hand what you see a lot of today are writers handling topics that are clearly out of their league and the result is clumsy and divisive. If you arent adding anything to the conversation that cant be found in a buzzfeed article or whatever hashtag is currently trending on twitter then you probably arent ready to start juggling the heavy concepts and dark imagery at play in GLMK. Think of Marvels current writers, now thing of those first few pages of GLMK. My stomach twists at the thought of how they might play out were they in those hands. The real question is who is up to that task at the moment? The only person I can think of off the topic of my head who has recently(ish) handled such a delicate topic during a sensitive political time and did it well would probably be Brubaker's death of Cap but I could be overlooking something.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’d love for it to be told again, for a more modern audience, unfortunately the backlash from the religious right would be massive.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Yes something like God Loves, Man Kills could be published by Marvel today but it probably wouldn't be as well written and done in such a mature way.

Could something like GLMK be written today? I don't see why not, it is (sadly) still relevant today. But it wouldn't be as good. It would probably end up as a multipart crossover with sarky dialogue and probably forget what they were writing about and have a hero vs hero fight for some reason

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Somebody might have stopped Claremont from using the N-Word today. But Marvel is publishing political books - look at Ms. Marvel's arcs that deal with Basic Becky or Hydra. Look at Nick Spencer's Captain America: Sam Wilson book. I think the better question would be whether Marvel would publish an X-Book in OGN format than whether it would be political.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Yes, it definitely can be made today. But it would most likely be badly written and tone-deaf.(and not because of Disney)
    So not that different from the original version then...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Somebody might have stopped Claremont from using the N-Word today.
    As they should have back then. I mean not on principle, just in that specific case because it was dumb. You don't get to equate your made up fantasy racial slur with that.
    Last edited by Carabas; 02-12-2018 at 04:39 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Yeah, my takeaway is this: In the fictional world they're living in, it absolutely makes sense. But we don't live in that fictional world.

Let's keep in mind that Claremont did it twice, plus dropped a whole bunch of other slurs in New Mutants 45 using Kitty Pryde (makes me wonder if Claremont thought a Jewish character could get away with it more). I thought the most impressive thing about Bendis's Kitty Pryde speech is that Kitty did not repeat the racial slurs others said. I thought it showed definite maturity on her part
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Maybe I'm wrong but do not think it would have the same impact.

The motive is simple violence and open prejudice in a world with terrorists who blow themselves for their beliefs or with genocide and hunts for minorities taking place in various countries generating an unprecedented wave of immigration has become part of people's lives to the point that many consider that's normal. I know it's not a good thing, but it's what I feel .

Even from the point of view of an X-mens reader why they should be more concerned with an intolerant who wants the death of mutants when at one time the US government sanctioned operations against mutants, the Avengers destroyed a mutant refuge and a species different did nothing while several mutants were dying sick by a toxic cloud they threw in the atmosphere?

As a reader there is no reason for anyone to be shocked by a religious group preaching violence and prejudice or killing children when it happens around the globe in real life every day or when have to see this kind of thing in a comic and know that no one has been punished for this:

MG X-mens.jpg

From my point of view humankind has become more apathetic to the suffering of the people around them when it does not directly affect them. And governments or the UN have had more difficulty making countries respect human rights.

So although this kind of story may still have relevance do not think it would have the same impact that it had at the time or would become a classic.
    Last edited by Knives; 02-12-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I’d love for it to be told again, for a more modern audience, unfortunately the backlash from the religious right would be massive.
    Maybe but maybe not. I mean, the religious right was quite active during the time the original was published and I don't remember there being a huge backlash against this specific book.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Somebody might have stopped Claremont from using the N-Word today. But Marvel is publishing political books - look at Ms. Marvel's arcs that deal with Basic Becky or Hydra. Look at Nick Spencer's Captain America: Sam Wilson book. I think the better question would be whether Marvel would publish an X-Book in OGN format than whether it would be political.
    That's what I think too. An editor today might not let the N-Word go through but I don't see any reason that the story wouldn't be published besides that.