Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sure, a book "like" this could me made today or at least, it could have been made last year. It's not like Marvel has been avoiding political issues. But, given the creators Marvel hired, it probably would have been terrible. And yes, I liked the original.

As for the N-word, no, it certainly couldn't be used today. GLMK was written at a time when intent mattered and people wouldn't so quickly disregard the context in which a word or symbol was used just to get offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    No, we had a book about Iceman, who's gay.
    No, I'm with Midnight_v on this one. This book was all about Iceman being gay and a very unlikable gay at that. I hated the way Bobby was outed and what it implied about past stories but I had hopes Grace would repair things a little, that he would have a more subtle approach after Bendis' trolling. Boy i was wrong.
    Last edited by Lutecius; 02-17-2018 at 08:05 AM.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    Sorry, it just seemed like you were complaining about gay people having more representation, especially since you've admitted to being antigay before.

Maybe you shouldn't have made a passing comment linking Marvel's only ongoing series to feature a gay male lead to Bishop not having a love life because people are afraid of black male heterosexuality.
    No. I certainly should have, and you're the reason why it was important. What I was saying was...
    I think thats a pretty big diversion though... the "Whataboutism" is problematic. Someone brings up a group people don't want to talk about or acknowledge and the
    easiest thing to divert the topic is to say "Whatabout... !"
    In this case black male mutants being murdered and the various hypocrisies and hang ups the U.S. still holds concerning Black Masculinity... and your response was
    "Bobby Drake". Without even addressing any of my other points... so yeah... thanks for this small aside.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

How many black men have Marvel titles, and how many gay men do?

And you're the one who brought Bobby up in the first place.
    Last edited by Dum Dum Dugan; 02-16-2018 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    So the other night I finally got around to reading the graphic novel God Loves, Man Kills by Chris Claremont and I loved it. Such a good X-Men story, really showed why I love that franchise and Claremot as a writer. However, one thing that struck me was how overtly 'political' this book could be considered. I mean, the main villain is a charismatic TV evangelical Reverend man who used every trick in the book to peddle religious dogma and bigoted hatred. I cannot help but to think that such a book coming out in this day and age would be chastised for being overtly political and an attack on religion. This seems to be a perfect example to use in the argument that Marvel comics have always had plotical edges to them.

Not to mention how dark some of the scenes are. I mean, the first few pages have kids being killed and hug up.
    No, it would be fine. Because, like you said, it was written good.

The issue with politics in books is when they are hamfisted in and clearly are out of place .

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Well they kill black male mutants ... a lot...
    But more importantly is... america has a fear of the "black male" and his sexuality thats reflected in everything always has been. One of the big reasons castration
    was always important in lynching. Pretty much kill or emasculate has always been the way.

I never thought i'd say this but... "white-cis-male-patriarchy" traditionally veiws women as conquests which is why you see every flavor of woman on the x-teams, but you're looking at a world through
    the eyes of Captain Kirk.

I think that a pretty big diversion though... the "Whataboutism" is problematic. Someone brings up a group people don't want to talk about or acknowledge and the
    easiest thing to divert the topic is to say "Whatabout... !"

So the reason is because there is a great fear and hatred of Heterosexual African-American males thats always been there and permeates to this day.
    Ororo has had Forge, Black panther, and wolverine... and calysto *wink*.
    but... who was Bishops last girlfriend. Which X-lady did he date? We literally just had an entire book about Icemans sexuality, Gambit and Rogue is a book on the stands right now.... but Bishop...?

They don't even pretend to do right by african-american males. The X-books that is. Other marvel properties have their moments here and there.

Yeah... trying to equate Mutie, with the N-work flew but if they had used the K-work for Jewish people... would that have gotten to the stands? Nope. Would Stan have nodded and thought
    "Exactly! Perfect point, excelsior!" Nope.

The X-books have have problems they need to fix. The Emasculation of the black male is one of the plagues there I'm coming to find.

I'd like to see God Love Man Kills, LEVEL of political involvement in a story, but I'm aware the X-books are only going to tell one story today, and its not going to be a brave one.

Tell a story about 2-3 Cops beating a Black Kid... when his mutant power flares up injuring one and killing the other.

Basically, what if Freddie Gray, or Trayvon Martin would have been mutants...

Then have the X-men/Magneto debate. Along with showing the people who thrive off this type of event in the black community.
    Have the Black kid decide right then he doesn't want to be a symbol for anyone's agenda, DOES NOT HATE POLICE OFFICERS after and says
    'It was those particular men, there are good and bad men in every realm and I know there are brave cops out out there doing the right thing
    and there are evil cops doing the opposite... just like with mutants"

Would like to join the X-men. But he's a wanted man. Doesn't want to join the "Extremist Mutant team" but he's a wanted man... who is NOT going to get a fair trial. . .

No deformity allowed, Flying brick or Bullet proof + energy protection of some kind able to solo/draw Mags/Jean/Storm... Love interest with an X-lady or two.
    Have him say on the topic of "n-word" and "mutie",
    "I've been black my whole life... I've been a "mutie" for one month, and if it wasn't for the latter the former would have gotten me killed the first day.
    No, its not the same... because you guys have POWER. Not having it is what makes people oppressed."

Great stories write themselves. Cowardice and indifference, and "Whataboutism" keeps them from being written.
    That is a good idea. Wait that is a damn good idea. As for if they decided to use the N-word today. They should consider their audience and how they will view the context the word is used in. Most X-fans can not understand why Capt. A or the FF are beloved but the mutant down the street that spews mucus from his eyes and sneezes tears is not.

Also if they do choose so be aware that people will bring up the lack of Black American males in their books. For those wondering why i specified black american males is because the X-franchise does well introducing characters of all types of ethnicities, nationalities, and backgrounds. Over the franchises long history only a few black males have been given much of a push in X-books. I'm not saying that it should be a Black male on a X-team just for #@$% and giggles. I'm just saying the use of the word may draw attention to the lack of a black male presence in the X-books. Are they ready to have a convo about that, is the real question.