Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

If Claremont truly hated Cyclops I couldn't tell, he always wrote a great Scott Summers. It is funny though that he wanted to retire him (and Jean had she survived DPS) because nobody should be a superhero forever. I really doubt he would have give Storm and Wolverine the same treatment (though I read somewhere that he would've killed off Logan is he continued writing the books).

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    For me X-Men didnt get good until Lorna and Alex joined the book. By that moment Stan Lee wasn't writing anymore. The Sauron, Magneto mutates in the Savage Land, and Living Monolith stories were the first ones I felt were high quality.
    Yeah I like those too, Neal Adams really elevated the book. I probable enjoyed them more than the beginning of Claremont's run which is kind of rough to read today until the phoenix/shi'ar story.

Quote Originally Posted by SerCo View Post
    If Claremont truly hated Cyclops I couldn't tell, he always wrote a great Scott Summers. It is funny though that he wanted to retire him (and Jean had she survived DPS) because nobody should be a superhero forever. I really doubt he would have give Storm and Wolverine the same treatment (though I read somewhere that he would've killed off Logan is he continued writing the books).
    Well, he killed Logan in the very beginning of his X-Men: Forever. And Storm turned out to be a bad guy, and there was also a teenage version of Storm... what the f#$k was that?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Well, he killed Logan in the very beginning of his X-Men: Forever. And Storm turned out to be a bad guy, and there was also a teenage version of Storm... what the f#$k was that?
    well Forever was non canon and he was given free reign to do what he wants. Even though he said he would have killed Wolverine, would he have actually followed through with that execution? Would Marvel let him? I doubt that story would have played out had he stayed in the 90s

BANNED

like i said x-men fans dodged a bullet on that one in 1991

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

Claremont does not hate Cyclops, but he does understand his weaknesses. It is not "hate" to represent a weak man as weak.

BANNED

Claremont is just salty that he grew beyond what he envisioned him to be, same with Emma Frost

BANNED

If he can't be better than a resentful fan... then, let him join the Cyclops's haters club.

But, I hope he will never get his hands on Cyclops again.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Cyclops has always been a douchebag. It’s only his most ardent followers who never realized this. He jumps from bed to bed. He did this with Colleen Wing, when he thought Jean died. Then the same with Lee Forrester, to Maddy, to Jean, to Emma.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    You have to remember, Scott was a mess, psychologically. The whole parents abducted by aliens/thrown out of a plane with his little brother/parachute catches on fire/massive head trauma leaving him in a coma/never adopted/forgets his past life as a self-defense mechanism/manipulated by Sinister for years/runs away from orphanage after being chased by a mob when his uncontrollable optic blasts manifest again/manipulated by a diamond-skinned telepathic villain/trained to be a paramilitary solider in a secluded school by another morally-ambiguous telepath-backstory is a lot, even by superhero comic standards. That anyone would expect him to function as an emotionally sound being is beyond reason.
    IIRC, Jean kinda summarized some of this when X-Factor battled Infectia's pawns back in the day. I forgot the actual issue.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    The problem is that was the point of Cyclops's character: a damaged orphan with a brutal past who, under Xavier's tutelage, became a cool, confident leader, a hero, and a mature, level-headed man. He was Xavier's great success story.

Then, the Madelyne Pryor mess came along and exploded all of that.

Simonson and, later, Lobdell and Nicieza spent almost a decade altogether rebuilding his character.

Then, Grant Morrison came along and exploded all of that.

And, so it goes...
    This is a great summary.

Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    Claremont does not hate Cyclops, but he does understand his weaknesses. It is not "hate" to represent a weak man as weak.
    I posted this in the Cyke thread but I think it's worth repeating here...

This is how Claremont envisioned Cyclops. There's a number of other examples of him taking this kind of moral stand, including with Charles.

Cyclops was not "weak". His morality was sacrificed on the altar of editorial and creative whim, first by Layton (at Shooter's behest) than again by Morrison and by a number of subsequent writers that desired a more divisive Cyclops. As informed fans we should be able to recognize the difference.

I often read posts around here suggesting that Scott somehow benefited from the editorially driven development he had during X-Factor, NXM, Astonishing and most of the Utopia\UXM vol 4 era. I wonder how anyone can think this considering that these books were ultimately responsible for robbing Scott of his son, true love, respect, position, friends, and legacy. That's quite a list of "benefits". Now I know what Rosenberg meant by that line "We were better off dead". I can see how it would have been better for Scott to die during Planet X alongside Jean, or even in her place. At least in that situation, when he comes back he would be coming back with some of his respect intact.

I don't think he hated him, I just think he had a vision for the character and it got ruined. His run with Scott on X-Men forever was very good and i think that's the representation of who he thought Scott was

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Cyclops has always been a douchebag. It’s only his most ardent followers who never realized this. He jumps from bed to bed. He did this with Colleen Wing, when he thought Jean died. Then the same with Lee Forrester, to Maddy, to Jean, to Emma.
    Eyeroll at a Jennifer fan accusing a character of being a DB because they slept around.

That's something Scott actually hasn't done. He's had four sexual partners in 50+ years of continuity, and one them was a clone of the other.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I found funny that people call Cyclops a douchebag for sleeping around in a world were wolverine, Iron man and she hulk exist ¬¬