Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Marvel sales figures for January

Here are the sales figures for January:
    https://www.cbr.com/sales-charts-dir...-january-2018/

Avengers #675 placed in the top ten, but the other issues sold under 40,000 issues apiece.
    Mighty Thor was the best female solo titie.
    Captain Marvel #128 dropped to only 12,201 copies.
    Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl are both below 10,000 copies.
    Phoenix Resurrection is not selling well for an event, failing to beat regular issues of Batman.
    Last edited by Witchfan; 02-12-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Pissed about Two-in-One. It shows that some of those clamoring for the Fantastic Four and "Marvel doesn't feel the same" were just talking crap and weren't willing to put their money where their mouth is. It's a great book that didn't deserve such a big drop.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Old Man Hawkeye comin' in hot at number 10!

These are pretty distressing numbers for the overall industry, but the industry has navigated rough spots before. I remember how back in 2009, there were no top-selling books moving over 100k for a while. I think there's a lot of upheaval going on now and it already got Axel Alonso fired. It'll be interesting to see where the industry goes from here, especially with the Disney/Fox deal coming into the mix.

On the plus side, I'm glad Phoenix Resurrection sold well. Same with Mighty Thor. Those books deserve much higher numbers, but it's just a bad market right now. Hope that changes over the course of 2018.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post

Avengers #675 placed in the top ten, but the other issues sold under 40,000 issues apiece.
    Phoenix Resurrection is not selling well for an event, failing to beat regular issues of Batman.
    I'm hoping trade sales and digital can save Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl. They're both fantastic and important series and have reasons to exist beyond their monthly floppy sales.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post

Given the sales on Avengers in recent times, it makes sense that retailers wouldn't order too high on a weekly series until they see how it actually sold in their shops. The fact that every issue of No Surrender so far has sold out and gone back to print indicates that it's doing quite well.

And Phoenix Resurrection wasn't an event, it was an X-related mini.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    These are pretty distressing numbers for the overall industry, but the industry has navigated rough spots before. I remember how back in 2009, there were no top-selling books moving over 100k for a while. I think there's a lot of upheaval going on now and it already got Axel Alonso fired. It'll be interesting to see where the industry goes from here, especially with the Disney/Fox deal coming into the mix.

On the plus side, I'm glad Phoenix Resurrection sold well. Same with Mighty Thor. Those books deserve much higher numbers, but it's just a bad market right now. Hope that changes over the course of 2018.
    Fans obsess way too much over numbers that they don't even have the full info on. These are estimates, at best, and don't represent the full picture.

If you showed someone from twenty years ago today's TV ratings for the top networks, they'd think that the industry had gone in the toilet. A show can be considered a hit now with overnight numbers that would've gotten them cancelled years ago. TV measures success differently now, as viewers consume media from a variety of formats. So too with comics, it's not all about the month to month issues anymore in the way it used to be.

BANNED

Daredevil seems to be one of the few books that is prospering out of Legacy. Comic books can sell, as long as readers know that there is going to be consistent quality, both on the story and the art. Daredevil has had the most consistent art on any book from the start of the ANAD era, and perhaps most importantly the art is a good reflection of the story. The writing is intriguing and not too decompressed, the characters are well handled, the story doesn't rely on shock value to maintain its momentum, and so despite the fact that there's not a huge amount of marketing 'hype' surrounding the book, lo and behold, readers are asking for it. Daredevil is not a hugely popular character, he's not a heavy-hitter like Wolverine or Spidey, but the book sells consistently because its creative team (including the editors) have demonstrated an ability to meet standards that other books aren't meeting.

Contrast this with Black Panther, which has a movie coming out so some might think it would be selling a bit better than usual... but it's not, because the book is rubbish. Equally, ASM is doing very badly (relatively speaking) despite Spider-Man being Marvel's biggest name, and the book fast approaching #800. Spider-Man/Deadpool, one of the best-selling titles of the ANAD era and combining two 'hype-worthy' characters, has crashed into the ground, probably because its last few issues were borderline illegible. Quality control matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Pissed about Two-in-One. It shows that some of those clamoring for the Fantastic Four and "Marvel doesn't feel the same" were just talking crap and weren't willing to put their money where their mouth is. It's a great book that didn't deserve such a big drop.
    I'd give it a bit longer before we write the book's sales off. If it stabilises around the 30k mark, it's in better shape than a lot of the big names.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I'm hoping trade sales and digital can save Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl. They're both fantastic and important series and have reasons to exist beyond their monthly floppy sales.
    Both books have been propped up by Scholastic book sales for 2years + now.
    Their monthly sales figures are mostly unchanged. They've been well below 10K for some time now.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Yeah, both are more popular in trade and digital compared to some other books that sell better than them in the direct market.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Or that they don't want to settle for something less than the actual ff especially after learning for sure why it wasn't being published in the first place

I for one like it

But it's not the actual ff is it

The drop is big but if it holds at around 30000 that's fairly good in the current market
    Last edited by kilderkin; 02-12-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post

How do you mean they are important series?

I mean more so than any other?

Ultimate Member

I haven’t checked the sales charts in a long time.

Why is everything selling so low?

The only titles keeping it real are the Batman titles.

I’m laughing at Moon Girl sales. Generation X sells double and got cancelled. Moon Girl is a joke!

Generation X sells more than Captain Marvel. Give them a MCU movie in 2022!

I love how Scooby Apocalypse only is a couple hundred behind.
    Last edited by Slicknickshady; 02-12-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I haven’t checked the sales charts in a long time.

Why is everything selling so low?

The only titles keeping it real are the Batman titles.
    It strikes me that decent numbers are around 40000 in the current market

Are there books than there used to be, Coz it seems to me there are, I think given the other ways of reading, trade and digital it's just the way things are

Around 1000 for a trade, guess the same digital

But im reaching at least a little

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'd be happy if it levels off at the 30,000 range and being near or in the top 50 titles. It's checking in at the same level as some of DC's Harley Quinn titles, a character that gets a lot of promotion in animated series and merchandise. Let's see how it goes. I'd hate to see great creative team not get supported by the fans.