Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Irony: Barry Allen hardly knows his closest associates in the CW show

In the CW Network FLASH TV series, Cisco Ramon (Vibe) and Caitlin Snow (Killer Frost) have been two of Barry Allen's closest associates since the premiere episode of the show.

Ironically, in the regular continuity DC comic books, Barry hardly knows either of them. Vibe was introduced in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA at a time when Barry had resigned from the League because he was on trial for killing the Reverse Flash. Not long afterwards, both Barry and Vibe would die (COIE and LEGENDS, respectively), without (I believe) ever having met. I'm also not sure if Barry ever met Killer Frost in the comics (especially the Caitlin Snow version, who had not yet been created).

Interesting that these three characters have been thrown together as close friends and associates on the TV series when in the comics, I'm not sure if the three have ever even met.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

I think it's cool to have heroes working with other heroes. Despite it not being at all accurate to the comics (Barry Allen typically worked alone, and Wally's support team mainly consisted of other speedster characters, most of which haven't appeared in the show yet) it's interesting to have other powersets and dynamics on the show instead of solely focusing on speed.

But if we're being completely honest, the supporting characters for most superhero shows are a little random. For example in Smallville, Oliver Queen is essentially Clark Kent's best friend, filling the role of Bruce Wayne. It works and they definitely are friends in the comics, but the level of their friendship is a little odd considering they don't normally have a special bond like that.

In Legends of Tomorrow, Ray Palmer is best buds with Citizen Steel and considers characters like Heat Wave and Isis to be a part of his family. It wouldn't make any sense in the comics at all but makes a lot of sense in that universe.

It makes me think about the comic book versions of these teams and how different they would be from the shows. Would be interesting to see.

That is pretty cool, I hadn't realized that. I can definitely say I'm very glad Cisco is used in The Flash (TV show) because he's one of my favorite CW characters.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    I think it's cool to have heroes working with other heroes. Despite it not being at all accurate to the comics (Barry Allen typically worked alone, and Wally's support team mainly consisted of other speedster characters, most of which haven't appeared in the show yet) it's interesting to have other powersets and dynamics on the show instead of solely focusing on speed.

But if we're being completely honest, the supporting characters for most superhero shows are a little random. For example in Smallville, Oliver Queen is essentially Clark Kent's best friend, filling the role of Bruce Wayne. It works and they definitely are friends in the comics, but the level of their friendship is a little odd considering they don't normally have a special bond like that.

In Legends of Tomorrow, Ray Palmer is best buds with Citizen Steel and considers characters like Heat Wave and Isis to be a part of his family. It wouldn't make any sense in the comics at all but makes a lot of sense in that universe.

It makes me think about the comic book versions of these teams and how different they would be from the shows. Would be interesting to see.
    Oliver Queen has always been Batman Lite on the CW because they can't use the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post

Yeah...I'd like to see the regular DCU Flash (Barry) meet up with Vibe and the Caitlin Snow Killer Frost. Inevitably, somebody would comment, "Have we met? I feel like we know each other, though I'm not sure how..."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Oliver Queen has always been Batman Lite on the CW because they can't use the real deal.
    whoa...had no idea...thanks for telling me...this is new information

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Yeah...I'd like to see the regular DCU Flash (Barry) meet up with Vibe and the Caitlin Snow Killer Frost. Inevitably, somebody would comment, "Have we met? I feel like we know each other, though I'm not sure how..."

Barry did meet Caitlyn- She's the Killer Frost We've mmet Post-Rebirth in JL vs Suicide Squad and who joined the JLA

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Barry did meet Caitlyn- She's the Killer Frost We've mmet Post-Rebirth in JL vs Suicide Squad and who joined the JLA
    I missed that one. Going to have to check it out. Which issues of which book can I find this in?

I also don't think Oliver Queen has ever teamed-up with Ragman, Wild Dog, or Artemis Crock in the comics (though he did fight a paramilitary Wild Dog group in Rebirth).

Of course, the reverse corollary of this is that Barry (and Oliver) on the CW show hasn't encountered many of comic book Barry's closest friends and associates: most prominently, no Hal Jordan.

BANNED

Of course, the reverse corollary of this is that Barry (and Oliver) on the CW show hasn't encountered many of comic book Barry's closest friends and associates: most prominently, no Hal Jordan.

Well, we have Ralph Dibny but he and Barry aren't the best of friends just yet, despite him spoilers:
    getting Barry out of prison.
    end of spoilers Maybe they'll develop that friendship further this season

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I also don't think Oliver Queen has ever teamed-up with Ragman, Wild Dog, or Artemis Crock in the comics (though he did fight a paramilitary Wild Dog group in Rebirth).
    Ragman's a bit of an oddity but there was at least the whole Young Justice cartoon use of Artemis as the reason for the TV's odd version who "worked" with Ollie for 5 minutes. I feel there's been at least one Ragman meets Green arrow story out there though. And Wild Dog. Well, is Wild Dog.

As for the rest. It's just the fun of different media adaptations and the changes taking liberties has.

Just looking at the Arrowverse the relationship between Kara and Barry is almost akin to the way Barry interacted with Jay in the Silver Age comics. Meeting a powerful hero from an alternate reality he could go to for help. And because of her age up and his slight age down Kara and Barry are essentially the same age in an adaptation of the comics where they were almost always at least a decade apart.

Plus Barry and Kara barely interacted in the comics to this day. Even in Crisis on Infinite Earths a story they both died in it was in essentially completely unconnected story threads there.

And yeah Ollie tends to be the easy to use Batman fill in. Less because they CAN'T use him from what I understand but Batman's kind of tied up a little more and like Superman and Wonderwoman DC doesn't want TOO many interpretations of him out there.

Astonishing Member

I missed that one. Going to have to check it out. Which issues of which book can I find this in?

I believe just in the Justice League versus Suicide Squad mini. Though it wasn't much of an interaction in truth. Caitlin chatted a lot more with Clark and Bruce there, but Barry was there as well.

And Barry and Oliver in the comics are nowhere near as close and buddy-buddy as they are in the Arrowverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And Barry and Oliver in the comics are nowhere near as close and buddy-buddy as they are in the Arrowverse.
    Oh, heck no. At least in Mark Waid's interpretation, the two could barely stand each other.