Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Storm is Claustrophobic. In Other News, Black Panther Smashes Hollywood Myths

BLACK PANTHER 'SMASHES' BOX OFFICE RECORDS and HOLLYWOOD MYTHS
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/18/m...e-records.html

I don't know about that. Headlines can't truly make this all true by stating it, or giving the chosen facts, but in the immediate, for today at least – this is happening.

IMO this news is important to this our discussions regarding STORM for many reasons. I personally feel like if any one character and body of creators is most responsible for the possibility of this happening today it's the X-Men's Storm and firstly Claremont and Cockrum, but even more importantly, the audience they connected to and the audience (this audience here and now) that is the actual Ororo Munroe.

Storm is a woman, a powerful woman, an orphan, Goddess, a Fiction, a Story, a Queen, an African Priestess, a refugee, a mutant, a survivor from the rubble of childhood trauma, perhaps the most 'different' of the all new and different X-Men, she is black.

She suffers from claustrophobia. She suffers from anxiety in closed places. She panics in situations that trigger trauma of being buried in the fallen debris of the wreck that killed her family while they were traveling.

What does she look like, what is she supposed to look like, who deserves to define that for the masses, for us, for you?

So this Black Panther isn't the Black Panther that never had a history with Storm. This Black Panther came after Storm had made her big screen debut, and maybe she wasn't perfectly cast, but she was played by a major Hollywood actress who may have been the most recognized and celebrated African American movie star at the time.

Again, it's not really for me to say. Much of what has been shared or is so often shared about how any character should 'look' or 'dress' is subject primarily to who they are in the story of their life. Independent of us or them or even the creator really. Storm deserves this attention. YES. At the heart of almost every comment about how she should look there is hope, appreciation and freedom as expressed through this very character.

To define her? To close her in a rubble of clothes, hairstyles, trends, stereotype...well, she's claustrophobic...she'll make her way out of any heap of mess that's put upon her...including this, what I'm writing now...

She'll emerge from this however she must and can and those means are for the creator who listens and hears and sees her most vividly to provide.

I don't read the current Black Panther, didn't read the Crew and don't go to the movies or really watch any television. I did read my older brother's old Black Panther comics though and its his X-Men where I first began reading Storm around the same time...she was on the cover of my first comic book. She was the acting team leader, she was so different than Black Panther and the rest of the X-Men, her name wasn't and isn't Black Storm it's not Lady Storm...it's just Storm.

How do fans who read Black Panther and care about Storm in those books and 'his' mythos feel about her role in BP and the Crew?

How do you feel Storm changed comics, is changing comics and how important is Storm to the new industry of comics, movies, all-media?

How do you feel about her being used or not used in a 'diversity' push by Marvel?

Is it fair to compare Storm to Jean?

Were you also handed a free preview of the current Black Panther comic when you purchased your books this month?
    Did you 'think' anything about that or read it or did it even matter to you at all?

Is there anybody or team of creators who you'd most like to see writing and drawing her now?

Yes, I am aware and have been reading and even posted (but did not vote) in the poll question about how Storm should look. This is, in part, an alternative discussion not meant to distract or conflict with that thread's own intent, purpose or being. thanks.
    Last edited by sungila; 02-18-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

BANNED

Black Panther is the same movie as Thor 1. The Wonder Woman of 2018. it is scary how this movie's PR was handled. Banning bad reviews , creating an uncomfortable space where anyone who criticises the movie is a racist, turned into a political movement, sold the myth that it is the first black superhero movie.

In terms of black superheroes, how did Blade come off so excellent with been a great hero who just happens to be black? this was 20 years ago. Black Panther is a good movie, very predictable and bad cgi.

I have not seen many that liked the Storm and Black Panther pairing. he is definitely a better mate for lupita nyong'o's character in the film. Regardless of Black Panther's sucess. Storm is arguably the most iconic black superhero ever created. Not many will disagree.
    Last edited by Sandfall; 02-18-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    Black Panther is the same movie as Thor 1. The Wonder Woman of 2018. it is scary how this movie was handled. Banning bad reviews , creating an uncomfortable space where anyone who criticises the movie is a racist, turned it into a political movement, sold the myth that it is the first black superhero movie.

In terms of black superheroes, how did Blade come off so excellent with been a great hero who just happens to be black? this was 20 years ago. Black Panther is a good movie, very predictable and bad cgi.

I have not seen many that liked the Storm and Black Panther pairing. he is definitely a better mate for lupita nyong'o character in the film. Regardless of Black Panther's sucess. Storm is arguably the most iconic black superhero ever created. I do not think you will find many that will disagree.
    No one is banning "bad reviews". You must be missing the part where "DC fans" said they would intentionally bomb the Rotten Tomatoes score. And if you really don't think of Black Panther as a political stride, I can tell not only that you're not black, but you really didn't get the message surrounding the movie and how exactly it factored into the culture of black people worldwide.

Also, I don't want Storm and Nakia to fight over T'Challa if they ever meet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    No one is banning "bad reviews". You must be missing the part where "DC fans" said they would intentionally bomb the Rotten Tomatoes score. And if you really don't think of Black Panther as a political stride, I can tell not only that you're not black, but you really didn't get the message surrounding the movie and how exactly it factored into the culture of black people worldwide.

Not only is this person totally missing the points that resonate with black folks the world over. He is also totally missing the point that Black Panther is Marvel's first black superhero. So, strictly in that sense, it is Marvel's movie about their first black superhero or Marvel's first black superhero movie. The fact that they're so bothered is an absolute treat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post

That would be totally writing Storm down for him especially given the fact she's the female in the relationship. If anything, it should be T'challa fighting somebody over Storm.

Black Panther is the same movie as Thor 1. The Wonder Woman of 2018. it is scary how this movie's PR was handled. Banning bad reviews , creating an uncomfortable space where anyone who criticises the movie is a racist, turned into a political movement, sold the myth that it is the first black superhero movie.

I have not seen many that liked the Storm and Black Panther pairing. he is definitely a better mate for lupita nyong'o's character in the film. Regardless of Black Panther's sucess. Storm is arguably the most iconic black superhero ever created. Not many will disagree.
    I will. Storm is iconic indeed but not the most iconic black superhero ever created.

That falls to Black Panther who broke so many stereotypes about African and African-American superhero characters when he was created.

This is not a knock against Storm. She has a tremendous history and background and is a great character . But Marvel never did anything with that potential unlike what they did with BP.

They squandered Storm's fame and popularity, relying on a number of complacent fans who were satisfied with feats and appearances and did not look past the postures to see how two dimensional Marvel has made her in recent years.

Hopefully the Storm solo that everyone is anticipating will address past mis-treatment of Storm in the MU and MCU.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Not only is this person totally missing the points that resonate with black folks the world over. He is also totally missing the point that Black Panther is Marvel's first black superhero. So, strictly in that sense, it is Marvel's movie about their first black superhero or Marvel's first black superhero movie. The fact that they're so bothered is an absolute treat.

The first marvel's black superhero was Blade released in 1998.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

The first marvel's black superhero was Blade released in 1998.
    Black Panther has been around since the 60's. I think 65 of 66.

Blade came along in the 70's.

Blade may have been adapted into a film first. But BP has longer history as being the first black African hero, which makes it a big deal to finally be adapted into a feature film for the eldest black super hero.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-18-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Black Panther has been around since the 60's. I think 65 of 66.

Blade came along in the 70's.

Blade may have been adapted into a film first. But BP has longer history as being the first black African hero, which makes it a big deal to finally be adapted into a feature film for the eldest black super hero.
    Luke Cage is the first black superhero with his own solo...
    Also, this thread barely belongs on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Geek Mangacomic View Post
    Luke Cage is the first black superhero with his own solo...
    Also, this thread barely belongs on this board.
    Eh.. if Deadpool is tolerated...
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I will. Storm is iconic indeed but not the most iconic black superhero ever created.

That falls to Black Panther who broke so many stereotypes about African and African-American superhero characters when he was created.

This is not a knock against Storm. She has a tremendous history and background and is a great character . But Marvel never did anything with that potential unlike what they did with BP.

They squandered Storm's fame and popularity, relying on a number of complacent fans who were satisfied with feats and appearances and did not look past the postures to see how two dimensional Marvel has made her in recent years.

Hopefully the Storm solo that everyone is anticipating will address past mis-treatment of Storm in the MU and MCU.

Black Panther is not the most iconic black superhero ever created, its Storm. Black Panther has never resonated with the readership anywhere near the degree a well-written Storm has. Storm even beat Wonder Woman in a democratic vote in the past. I seriously doubt Black Panther would ever beat Batman in such a contest.

That said, I agree that Storm has not been fleshed out nearly enough. Marvel has barely scratched the surface of her true potential. However, again, in spite of that, Storm has to be named the most iconic because of her stature in popularity with a broader range of audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Black Panther is not the most iconic black superhero ever created, its Storm. Black Panther has never resonated with the readership anywhere near the degree a well-written Storm has. Storm even beat Wonder Woman in a democratic vote in the past. I seriously doubt Black Panther would ever beat Batman in such a contest.

That said, I agree that Storm has not been fleshed out nearly enough. Marvel has barely scratched the surface of her true potential. However, again, in spite of that, Storm has to be named the most iconic because of her stature in popularity with a broader range of audiences.
    You are quite wrong. Black Panther was the first mainstream African/African-American hero to shatter stereotypes. He is the most iconic Black superhero

Don't confuse popularity with being iconic.

Wolverine maybe more popular than Superman but he is not more iconic.

Sorry, have to disagree. Black Panther is Marvels first black superhero and he can maintain a solo book (and now a solo film) things that Storm can't do. If you didn't think he was before, he definitely is now and will be from now on. Storm v Wonder Woman happened 20 years ago, it's time to move on.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

Rutog, I love you, but stop. Consider the fact that Black Panther's first movie just dropped and he has resonated with more people than any of the multiple X-Men movies. Please don't do this. You will not win. How many X-Men movies are there? And how many of them cracked the all time highest grossing lists?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Sorry, have to disagree. Black Panther is Marvels first black superhero and he can maintain a solo book (and now a solo film) things that Storm can't do. If you didn't think he was before, he definitely is now and will be from now on. Storm v Wonder Woman happened 20 years ago, it's time to move on.
    What you said here is not true. Black Panther's books have been cancelled many times. The issue with Storm's solo title was it was poorly planned and was nothing but a rehash of her Greatest Hits of the 80s which have been done to death. It did not begin to explore the rich potential of her character and history. She needed new foes and friends make specifically for her book as well as a different support cast from other X-Men members like Beast, Rachel, and other characters she has interacted with for decades in the X-Men team books. That said, superhero films tend to do well. Period. Tell me one Marvel film that has tanked since X-Men 1? That said, doing well in the movies doesn't make a character equal to Ororo. Even Ant-Man got his own movie and is getting a sequal with The Wasp. That doesn't put him on the level with Ororo either. Having a solo movie simply means that BP was given an opportunity Ororo has thus far been denied to have. To be honest, a well-done Storm movie could blow the Panther movie away...and the Panther movie was good. I enjoyed it.
    Last edited by rutog98; 02-18-2018 at 04:02 PM.