View Poll Results: Could Shang Chi have been a better Iron Fist than Danny Rand?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, of course.

17 37.78%
  • No way, jose.

28 62.22%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I posted a picture of Shang beating a dragon, in this thread.
    Shang beat a Dragon with enhancements, tools, and coaching from other Avengers.

Guess I should be clearer.... has Shang ever beaten a dragon with nothing but his skills. Thats what Danny did. No powers, no help, no anything. Just him and a Dragon.

To add Danny performed the task while he was 19 years old.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-14-2018 at 02:40 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Shang beat a Dragon with enhancements, tools, and coaching from other Avengers.

Guess I should be clearer.... has Shang ever beaten a dragon with nothing but his skills. Thats what Danny did. No powers, no help, no anything. Just him and a Dragon.

To add Danny performed the task while he was 19 years old.
    eh. Shao Lao's kind of overrated. it really just sat there and let some kid punch it in the heart. anyone with some speed and luck could have done that. Shang is precise enough to have replicated the feat; speculatively.

^how fearsome
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 02-14-2018 at 03:07 PM.

theoretically, he'd recognize Shang Chi's teachings, as well. he has no doubt incorporated what he's learned sparring with Danny. I'm not even sure what the difference between kung fu and Kunlun style really is. the Immortal Weapons seem to have a wide variety of styles and weaponry.
    Until we get someone who does martial arts we were not get that conversation in full. Maybe the guys who did Avatar the last airbender can write an Iron Fist title? When doing the show they consulted with a real Sifu to form the bending styles and each style is based on an actual martial art.

Until Danny dies there isn't a need for another Iron Fist nor do they actually have the power to make one. That come from Shou-lao himself so with him reincarnating into another dragon Lei kung can't actually give Shang-Chi powers. Besides Lei kung still would't allow him to undergo the trials because he is an adult outsider and the people of k'un l'un wouldn't trust him to be it. They barely trust Danny and orson and they grew up there.

eh. Shao Lao's kind of overrated. it really just sat there and let some kid punch it in the heart. anyone with some speed and luck could have done that. Shang is precise enough to have replicated the feat; speculatively.

^how fearsome

*shrug*

If you say so. Still glad that he is the only one to have done it. Makes him unique.

I wish Shang could get a steady title. If nothing else but to get more insights on him from Long. Love the way he talks about the dude.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

^how fearsome
    Woah, Michael, this page was posted out of context here. That page you've just posted comes from AvX #10. I'm reading it now. What is posted is just half of the page. I can't post the rest of the page, but the caption reads:

"Shou Lao. The undying, source of the power of K'un Lun. Carrier of the Iron Fist energy, endlessly reborn. And who legend says once defeated the Phoenix itself. A last, best hope. But this dragon, this one is young, too young...not strong enough yet
    Shou Lao the Undying is definitely NOT something to be trivialized. Yes, 66 Iron Fists in the past were able to plunge their hands into its heart and gain its chi. But there have been many others who were not so lucky. Again, this not a fully-grown Shou Lao, but a young one. Additionally, Fongji Wu, the Iron Fist who wielded the power of Shou Lao, was able to tame the Phoenix with it:

I'm not too sure about the dragon Shang faced, but Shou Lao can certainly be very strong.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Woah, Michael, this page was posted out of context here. That page you've just posted comes from AvX #10. I'm reading it now. What is posted is just half of the page. I can't post the rest of the page, but the caption reads:

Shou Lao the Undying is definitely NOT something to be trivialized. Yes, 66 Iron Fists in the past were able to plunge their hands into its heart and gain its chi. But there have been many others who were not so lucky. Again, this not a fully-grown Shou Lao, but a young one. Additionally, Fongji Wu, the Iron Fist who wielded the power of Shou Lao, was able to tame the Phoenix with it:

I'm not too sure about the dragon Shang faced, but Shou Lao can certainly be very strong.
    I was going to go into this but I know where Michael is going with this.

Thank you however Long for spreading knowledge of Shou and K'un L'un.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Until we get someone who does martial arts we were not get that conversation in full. Maybe the guys who did Avatar the last airbender can write an Iron Fist title? When doing the show they consulted with a real Sifu to form the bending styles and each style is based on an actual martial art.

Until Danny dies there isn't a need for another Iron Fist nor do they actually have the power to make one. That come from Shou-lao himself so with him reincarnating into another dragon Lei kung can't actually give Shang-Chi powers. Besides Lei kung still would't allow him to undergo the trials because he is an adult outsider and the people of k'un l'un wouldn't trust him to be it. They barely trust Danny and orson and they grew up there.
    so you're answering "no" to "could Shang have been a better Iron Fist?"

the picture was too large.

what do those folks have that Shang Chi doesn't?

the one that Shang fought was large enough to have an active city resting on its head; like a tiny fez. https://img.purch.com/o/aHR0cDovL3d3...8wMDAwNC5qcGc=
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 02-14-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I was going to go into this but I know where Michael is going with this.

Thank you however Long for spreading knowledge of Shou and K'un L'un.
    No problem.

Yeah, my posts have tried to show, both Shang and Danny are great characters. Danny as Iron Fist is cool. Shang as Shang is cool. Shang as Iron Fist is cool. It's all good .
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

this picture makes it look like you beat Shou Lao the same way that you beat most characters in Mike Tyson's Punchout.

Last edited by Michael Watkins; 02-14-2018 at 04:41 PM.

so you're answering "no" to "could Shang have been a better Iron Fist?"
    that's not the actual point of my post. SMH

In another post i answered yes he would be. I even compared him to Quake because he'd be a super-powered spy.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    that's not the actual point of my post. SMH

In another post i answered yes he would be. I even compared him to Quake because he'd be a super-powered spy.
    there's a question mark at the end of the sentence. I was asking for clarification. SMH

Over the past - decade? - the current story of Iron Fist in the comics tells us that, on the one hand, Danny Rand is Iron Fist due to corruption at the highest levels in K'un Lun. And so, by that logic, there are plenty of others who would probably make a better Iron Fist, including Shang Chi most obviously.

However, the stories also show us that we can also consider that everything, including the corruption, is fate - and that Danny Rand deserves to be Iron Fist: the proof is the fact that he is Iron Fist. And so in that regard, there is nobody better suited.

-Pav, who marvels at the paradox...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Over the past - decade? - the current story of Iron Fist in the comics tells us that, on the one hand, Danny Rand is Iron Fist due to corruption at the highest levels in K'un Lun. And so, by that logic, there are plenty of others who would probably make a better Iron Fist, including Shang Chi most obviously.

However, the stories all show us that we can also consider that everything, including the corruption, is fate - and that Danny Rand deserves to be Iron Fist: the proof is the fact that he is Iron Fist. And so in that regard, there is nobody better suited.

-Pav, who marvels at the paradox...
    I can live with that!

Mighty Member

Nothing could have saved the Netflix show with the show runner they used. He just does not make quality television shows. Look at his Inhuman series. It was horrible. Actually Shang Chi would have worked better on Netflix and Iron Fist should have been a MCU movie. Then we could have gotten the mystical kung fu epic we Iron Fist fans deserved.