View Poll Results: Could Shang Chi have been a better Iron Fist than Danny Rand?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, of course.

17 37.78%
  • No way, jose.

28 62.22%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

No. Because who Could be better than Danny Rand, speaking of, did you hear that he is the Immortal Iron Fist, Protector of K'un L'un and sworn enemy of the Hand

He Could have sure but it would not make him any more interesting.

The difference in ability to me has always been minimal. In which, I mean either could beat the other on a given day.

Although you would need to tie hi into Kulon (sic) which would take some retcons.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Yes. Bruce Lee kicks Chuck Norris' arse any time, any where, every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Yes, Shang would have been the better Iron Fist. And I don't care how overhyped Danny is these days, he can't touch Shang Chi in terms of pure martial arts mastery.

Agreed. Especially with the Bruce Lee versus Chuck Norris thing. I literally watched him kick chuck's ass

Incredible Member

Could Shang Chi have been a better Iron Fist? I don't know about that. Could Shang Chi have made a better Netflix show than Iron Fist? Yes.

The crappy quality of the Iron Fist Netflix show is not the fault of the character, or indicative of weakness in the Iron Fist books. Batman & Robin was the worst film I've ever sat through in the cinema, but that doesn't mean Batman is a bad character, it just means the makers fumbled the ball.

A proper Shang Chi series would not be set primarily in New York, and that is one of the straightjackets the Netflix series came with: the shows are all set in NY.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

This thread makes me want to go back and read all of Shang Chi's books.

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    Could Shang Chi have been a better Iron Fist? I don't know about that. Could Shang Chi have made a better Netflix show than Iron Fist? Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The crappy quality of the Iron Fist Netflix show is not the fault of the character, or indicative of weakness in the Iron Fist books. Batman & Robin was the worst film I've ever sat through in the cinema, but that doesn't mean Batman is a bad character, it just means the makers fumbled the ball.

A proper Shang Chi series would not be set primarily in New York, and that is one of the straightjackets the Netflix series came with: the shows are all set in NY.
    It would probably be a bit cheaper and I could see them folding Shang-chi's father into the Hand so that would have helped the defenders more. There is still a big chance that they would have bungled it up so it's not an exact thing.

WTF does a "better" Iron Fist mean anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    WTF does a "better" Iron Fist mean anyway?
    What does it mean to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    What does it mean to you?
    Hmm, good question. To me personally, a character that fits the story better. Iron Fist is a young man out of his world growing up and in his growing up has found a new world in K'un L'un. He experiences the same sense of re-adapting when he comes back to America. His pairing and friendship with Luke added a lot to his growth. Shang doesn't fit this role. Better Iron Fist isn't necessarily who's a better fighter.

Hmm, good question. To me personally, a character that fits the story better. Iron Fist is a young man out of his world growing up and in his growing up has found a new world in K'un L'un. He experiences the same sense of re-adapting when he comes back to America. His pairing and friendship with Luke added a lot to his growth. Shang doesn't fit this role. Better Iron Fist isn't necessarily who's a better fighter.
    Sure. But could Shang have replicated that relationship with Luke? More importantly, would he have been better for it? He's just as much of a fish out of water. It's a Rush Hour situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Sure. But could Shang have replicated that relationship with Luke? More importantly, would he have been better for it? He's just as much of a fish out of water. It's a Rush Hour situation.
    Definitely true. Shang and Luke could have bonded also. But where Shang's situation is different is that he doesn't have that shift in atmosphere that Danny did at age 9. Danny went from American kid to kid in a mystic city. Shang would have gone from his father's Honan retreat to K'un L'un. Same $#!+, different day. The teenage years were different for danny, but wouldn't have been for Shang.

Definitely true. Shang and Luke could have bonded also. But where Shang's situation is different is that he doesn't have that shift in atmosphere that Danny did at age 9. Danny went from American kid to kid in a mystic city. Shang would have gone from his father's Honan retreat to K'un L'un. Same $#!+, different day. The teenage years were different for danny, but wouldn't have been for Shang.
    Fair enough. It just feels as if Danny's teenage years weren't all important. His life began when he left Kun Lun. Shang's life began when he refused to be a pawn.