Default Wolverine: The Long Night podcast

Anyone listen to the trial? Pretty cool they got Richard armytage for wolverine.

I don't know if I want to pay for it but it's a good idea

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I have been listening. Pretty enjoyable, though it's pretty much "everyone is terrible" in this universe. I hope there's a bit more slivers of light than are visible now by the end.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

How many episodes are out?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Abductor View Post
    How many episodes are out?
    Episode 5 came out this morning (they are out every Monday). Funnily, even though it probably has the most Wolverine in it to date, it feels like not much seemed to progress plotwise.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Saw a claim somewhere online that the series will eventually move to a "free to listen" status. Is that correct or did that source misunderstand how Stitcher works?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Saw a claim somewhere online that the series will eventually move to a "free to listen" status. Is that correct or did that source misunderstand how Stitcher works?
    I have no real idea of how they plan to release it later. I think I did hear it would move to other platforms in the Fall 2018, but dont know which ones or when.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Episode 5 came out this morning (they are out every Monday). Funnily, even though it probably has the most Wolverine in it to date, it feels like not much seemed to progress plotwise.
    Oh alright, how long are the episodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Abductor View Post
    Oh alright, how long are the episodes?
    About 22 minutes apiece. Like a half-hour slot in television. But it's very much a podcast format - fits with most of the other professional podcast dramas I've listened to, as well as with the podcast Percy is always citing, Serial.

I have no real idea of how they plan to release it later. I think I did hear it would move to other platforms in the Fall 2018, but dont know which ones or when.
    Okay.

10char
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Okay, now that the whole series is released on Stitcher, I signed up for a month trial (using the code "MARVEL"). It took two days for the processing to go through, but I do recommend it.

On the whole, it's a really well done pastiche of an NPR style documentary podcast, spinning a bit into straighter narrative near the climax. It's a pitch black and cynical world - the hope I was expecting at the end was almost nonexistent. But the acting and sound design were really top notch, and the dialogue very polished. The directing was a lot better than similar style podcasts (the Wolf 359 series, Terms series, and Steal the Stars series are the one I'm primarily thinking of), with an attempt at a more realistic, less "scripted" sounding dialogue blended with an attempt to avoid lots of dead air that come with a semi-improvised feeling.

There were a couple of thematic notes (no spoilers here) that I thought were underdeveloped (or I just disagreed with?) - the commentary on recreational hunting, and specific targeting of nationality without any counterpoint or complexity (part of the unremitting cynicism of the series). Plus, the whole cult felt pretty unnecessary by the end.

But on the whole, a really nice experiment. I'm very curious to see if this is successful enough to warrant further installments in this series, or new series.

Okay, now that the whole series is released on Stitcher, I signed up for a month trial (using the code "MARVEL"). It took two days for the processing to go through, but I do recommend it.

On the whole, it's a really well done pastiche of an NPR style documentary podcast, spinning a bit into straighter narrative near the climax. It's a pitch black and cynical world - the hope I was expecting at the end was almost nonexistent. But the acting and sound design were really top notch, and the dialogue very polished. The directing was a lot better than similar style podcasts (the Wolf 359 series, Terms series, and Steal the Stars series are the one I'm primarily thinking of), with an attempt at a more realistic, less "scripted" sounding dialogue blended with an attempt to avoid lots of dead air that come with a semi-improvised feeling.

There were a couple of thematic notes (no spoilers here) that I thought were underdeveloped (or I just disagreed with?) - the commentary on recreational hunting, and specific targeting of nationality without any counterpoint or complexity (part of the unremitting cynicism of the series). Plus, the whole cult felt pretty unnecessary by the end.

But on the whole, a really nice experiment. I'm very curious to see if this is successful enough to warrant further installments in this series, or new series.
    Nice review It sounds really interesting especially some of the thematics you listed I'm not the biggest fan of Storytelling Podcasts because most of time the dialogues don't feel natural, but after reading your thoughts I will definetly give it a try !

Just one question : How is Wolverine's characterization? Did they managed to convey that "urban legend" feeling about him?

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    Nice review It sounds really interesting especially some of the thematics you listed I'm not the biggest fan of Storytelling Podcasts because most of time the dialogues don't feel natural, but after reading your thoughts I will definetly give it a try !

Just one question : How is Wolverine's characterization? Did they managed to convey that "urban legend" feeling about him?
    There is a sense of the urban legend, or an unclear idea of his powers/history. But near the end, it becomes a lot clearer.

There is a sense of the urban legend, or an unclear idea of his powers/history. But near the end, it becomes a lot clearer.
    Thank you that's just what I wanted to hear, I'm even more intrigued and curious now

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    Thank you that's just what I wanted to hear, I'm even more intrigued and curious now
    Well, I hope you get a chance to check it out, and if you do, come back here and post your thoughts!