Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Which superheroes could do Batman's job?

If they were suddenly thrown into Gotham and had to assume Batman's role, which superheroes could do it?

They have no superpowers.
    They still have access to any knowledge, training and skill they already have.
    They have access to Batman's existing tech (but cannot improve on it).
    They must wear the Bat-suit.

What kind of answers are you looking for? Because the answer is a lot of heroes.

Like Tony Stark can easily do it, but by using business tactics and buying up a ton of drones and robots to patrol the streets. He'll show up once in a while as "Batman" and call it a day.
    All of the CBPH can do it if they wanted to.
    Wonder Woman
    I'm sure plenty of others

One post in to "almost anyone can do Batman's job" eh? That has to be a land speed record.

All of the comic book peak humans are brilliant multi disciplinary detectives who have cultivated a network of spies, informants and cover identities for themselves in the criminal underworld?

Wonder Woman
    Wonder Woman, with no powers, will handle Batman's job just fine, that's your argument.

I'm sure plenty of others
    One day, an "X replaces Batman thread" will not be the place for people to latch onto to go on about their low opinion of Batman's capacity, one day.

Fantastic Member MorphyVSFischer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byc View Post
    Like Tony Stark can easily do it, but by using business tactics and buying up a ton of drones and robots to patrol the streets. He'll show up once in a while as "Batman" and call it a day.
    How is he stopping Ra's from killing the world via some crazy disease.

See above. Being Batman isn't just punching people in the face, most peak humans don't have the detective skills to get him.

Wonder Woman
    No superpowers is the very first thing he said.
    Last edited by MorphyVSFischer; 07-17-2014 at 09:31 AM.

That's why I asked what the point of the thread is.

If it was to show how amazingly awesome Batman is, what's the point? It's like asking which superheroes can unite the various DC or Marvel heroes into an effective fighting force. The answer is Cap, Superman, maybe Batman, maybe a few others I can't name off the top of my head. There's no point for having a "how awesome is this character" thread because the answer is obvious. And neither of you have bothered answering the question, and instead chose to reply to me instead. So apparently the thread is doing what it's supposed to do, declaring Batman's awesomeness.

Other than Joker and Ra's, most of Batman's villains don't do anything nearly complicated or elaborated enough require "godly detective skills that only Batman can have".

I fully believe Wonder Woman sans powers can handle the physical tasks that Batman does. I didn't mis-read anything. I don't know enough about Hawkman, but I was thinking he might be able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MorphyVSFischer View Post
    How is he stopping Ra's from killing the world via some crazy disease.

You mean, like The Mandarin killing the world with the Extremis virus?

I'll be fair, the post was missing the "any superhero willing to kill will do his job just fine or better" to really win at the "X replaces Batman in Gotham" thread bingo.

With that said, if you pick a high up enough supergenius to throw at the situation, as long as they're willing to authoritarian style solve things and create some kind of global satellite surveillance style network or some crap to sub in for not being especially much of a detective or the like, there's that.

Otherwise, to actually answer the thread, Nick Fury. Nick is not particularly a detective, but he can compensate for that by being a master spy, what sets up networks of master spies. He's also not on Batman's level as a combatant, but again, master spy, train up network of master spies, go at people in groups.

Other than Joker and Ra's, most of Batman's villains don't do anything nearly complicated or elaborated enough require "godly detective skills that only Batman can have".
    Riddler, Zsasz, Talia when she's her own villain, the godawful court of Owls, the godawful Doctor Hurt..

That's why I asked what the point of the thread is.
    And then said "almost anyone could" without your current opting for "I only meant physically"
    Last edited by Pendaran; 07-17-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Fantastic Member

The toughest part of it would be the detective and psychology work. It's a much tougher issue to match wits with the Riddler, then think terrorism aka Ra Al Ghul/Poison Ivy, then figure out an insane person like the Joker. It's no use beating up the bad guys if you can't even FIND them nor get to them on time.

The issue with Stark would be the limitation on upgrading technology. He is stuck with the current Bat-suit and technology. Do you really think that he can swing between buildings using the Bat-Grapple? Which villain is Tony Stark beating in hand-to-hand combat? Joker, Harley Quinn, Killer Croc? The Bat-suit doesn't have THAT much protection on it. Also, since Stark is limited to Batman's tech base, the various villains can HACK the drones and robots if Stark goes for that option. If Ra Al Ghul can break into the Batcave multiple times, he is able to hack the software since Stark CAN'T improve on it (as stated by the OP).

The easy answers are Green Arrow and Superman. GA does 90% of it already. Superman uses his journalism background to handle the crime solving and he has picked up enough H2H combat to be able to handle himself.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    You mean, like The Mandarin killing the world with the Extremis virus?
    You mention this a bunch when this sort of thing comes up, and while I wouldn't put tracking Ra's Al Ghul down especially outside of Tony's capacity, particularly if he starts off with Batman's files on the guy, I have to ask, so, Iron Man purely uncovered and tracked down and stopped this plot of himself?

edit: I missed the "can only use Batman's tech" stipulation. Bleh.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 07-17-2014 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post

And then said "almost anyone could" without your current opting for "I only meant physically"
    I suppose we can get into a debate about what "doing Batman's job" really means. Even Batman has had deaths caused by villains even if he solves it it really fast.

I fully believe lots of heroes can stop the villain before he kills too many people. It might not be as much as Batman, but then we'll have to define how many is too many.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Mac View Post
    The toughest part of it would be the detective and psychology work. It's a much tougher issue to match wits with the Riddler, then think terrorism aka Ra Al Ghul/Poison Ivy, then figure out an insane person like the Joker. It's no use beating up the bad guys if you can't even FIND them nor get to them on time.

The issue with Stark would be the limitation on upgrading technology. He is stuck with the current Bat-suit and technology. Do you really think that he can swing between buildings using the Bat-Grapple? Which villain is Tony Stark beating in hand-to-hand combat? Joker, Harley Quinn, Killer Croc? The Bat-suit doesn't have THAT much protection on it. Also, since Stark is limited to Batman's tech base, the various villains can HACK the drones and robots if Stark goes for that option. If Ra Al Ghul can break into the Batcave multiple times, he is able to hack the software since Stark CAN'T improve on it (as stated by the OP).

The easy answers are Green Arrow and Superman. GA does 90% of it already. Superman uses his journalism background to handle the crime solving and he has picked up enough H2H combat to be able to handle himself.
    Ugh, I missed the can't improve on it. That 86s throwing supergeniuses at this and just letting them cheat their way out of the problem. Not Tony then.

I stand by Nick Fury though.

The easy answers are Green Arrow and Superman. GA does 90% of it already.
    Green Arrow is honestly demonstrably terrible at Batman level shenanigans. He got badly outmaneuvered by frigging Merlyn. As a street patrolling crime fighter, he's just fine. As a thinker and plotter, he kinda sucks. Superman similarly, he's not really without powers helping him any great shakes as a detective or that sort of thing. He actually has people to help him with that (like his wife, or, sigh, retconned away wife, who is moderately underrated as an investigative journalist. Yes, she ends up almost killed a lot, but it's her getting that close to the truth of things that gets her in the "kill that!" situation)

I suppose we can get into a debate about what "doing Batman's job" really means. Even Batman has had deaths caused by villains even if he solves it it really fast.

I fully believe lots of heroes can stop the villain before he kills too many people. It might not be as much as Batman, but then we'll have to define how many is too many.
    "doing batman's job" means "doing batman's job" if you only mean "they can only do select parts of Batman's job", then they can't do Batman's job and you're having to default to semantics to hold onto being able to say they could.

How do they stop the ones they have to track down and figure out what they are doing, particularly?
    Last edited by Pendaran; 07-17-2014 at 08:43 AM.

Oh, and the really cheap answer besides Nick Fury is "anyone Batman has trained to replace him".

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    "doing batman's job" means "doing batman's job" if you only mean "they can only do select parts of Batman's job", then they can't do Batman's job and you're having to default to semantics to hold onto being able to say they could.
    It's not semantics. What's Batman's job? To clean up Gotham? To not let innocents die? To bring justice who those who breaks the law? To save as many lives as possible?

So if Batman allows Brother Eye to be hacked/develop an AI, so other heroes can allow that to happen too? So if Batman stops a Joker plot from killing Gotham, but 1000 people dies, that's what the other heroes are allowed?

The answer seems to be Batman only, as it was my initial belief, because only Batman possesses all of these skills.