Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

First time dude took on Doom, he lost to the point of only getting him to leave by threatening to kill his entire country rather than let Doom have it. Second time.. had nothing to do with prep or anything and involved what I would call hilarity. Third time I'm aware of.. he would have again lost but for sacrificing all the Vibranium ever. Those are not great examples, is what I'm saying.

Said connections were also with other superheroes and such, and thus involved their already pretty out there capacities, which wouldn't really help here.

And also has similar in running his own nation and defending it against inside threats.
    His track record there, and it's kind of sad because I liked when it was he himself that had upjumped an entire nation out of himself because he was just that good, gets by on Wakanda being super advanced regardless of him and what he does.

Fantastic Member MorphyVSFischer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Yeah, I don't really see Frank getting close to Riddler.
    He'd have a number of problems really. Frank deals with normal gangsters the vast majority of the time, someone like Deadshot, Poison Ivy or even a well prepped Scarecrow would cause him real problems.
    Last edited by MorphyVSFischer; 07-17-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    I always figured his job was to, more or less, vastly reduce the influence of crime on Gotham City. Foiling supervillains is only one of the things such a job entails.
    That's a brilliantly brief description of Batman's job. I suppose it kind of applies to other heroes that don't have specific jobs (Green Lanterns).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    *stamps one lone missing space on the square*

Bingo! Or Internet Bingo! Whatever you call out when you complete these things.

I imagine the Punisher compensates for not having the personal facility to find or track down or pre empt or get a hint of the plotting of various Bat Rogues by killing people, right? Right? It's a breeze for him because he kills people, right?

Lol. You know you love it.

His repertoire also includes torture.

First time dude took on Doom, he lost to the point of only getting him to leave by threatening to kill his entire country rather than let Doom have it. Second time.. had nothing to do with prep or anything and involved what I would call hilarity. Third time I'm aware of.. he would have again lost but for sacrificing all the Vibranium ever. Those are not great examples, is what I'm saying.

Said connections were also with other superheroes and such, and thus involved their already pretty out there capacities, which wouldn't really help here.

His track record there, and it's kind of sad because I liked when it was he himself that had upjumped an entire nation out of himself because he was just that good, gets by on Wakanda being super advanced regardless of him and what he does.
    While I get your gist, if you take the third time, for instance, doing anything against a one sided Doom prep using magic and tech against you is a rather good showing, even if a Pyrrhic victory is the best he could hope for (which Batman has a ton of, as well).

Also, while it's true that he's using superhero connections, he's using them against a Doom level threat. If you scale that down to a Joker level threat (same general area of psychological prep smarts, less technology and magic), he would have to similarly make used of the scaled down Gotham help that Batman gets on a regular basis. Showing that he can use that kind of help similarly and efficient as Bruce is the type of prep that I'm looking for, as a comparison.

It's basically, "what can they do with what they have against the people they're against" and then scaling it up and down to Batman's Gotham. So, someone like Sherlock would be scaling up, TChalla down.

EDIT: So basically it's:

- If they were in Gotham with the exact same resources, could they make the stuff Bruce makes?
    - Could they prep and counter prep against the level of enemy he runs into
    - Could they make and maintain the connections he does and keep constant spying up
    - Could they handle themselves in a fight against his rogues with or without prep depending on circumstance

Some might be weak in some, but stronger in others to make up for it. I think Tchalla is better in 1 (ie. he would make more things and use them more efficiently to make up for weaknesses elsewhere, while Bruce seemingly "forgets" all the stuff he's made), barely less than equal in 2, equal in 3, and equal in 4
    Last edited by abmccray; 07-17-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Ehh, the problem is, another part of making those connections boiled down to things "they were on the same superteam" or "T'challa tested them with an array of traps then asked them to help him with a thing" or the sort of crap that really only builds connections with, you know, superheroes. He's not exactly otherwise Mr connection builder. His network in Wakanda boils down to "I am king of Wakanda" and people being his subjects. He also basically inherited a pre existing highly advanced intelligence network he did not himself build. If this was "I built all that up, me" T'challa, that would be one thing, but that dude no longer exists.

And with Doom.. he really basically still overall lost in a lot of ways. To the point that Wakanda needed foreign aid to recover from the experience. He can befriend Commissioner Gordon, sure. That's not really ultimately all that helpful for a lot of crap Batman has been involved in.

Such as are in Gotham are only so useful in the end, and I don't see him setting up webs of informants and building undercover identities for himself and junk really.

If there were no limits on him improving the tech he's given, sure. He can just tech his way out of any of these issues, but the op limited the "I throw supergeniuses at this until the thread weeps for mercy" angle.

Fantastic Member

Mr. Terrific wouldn't have much trouble. He could also modify certain aspects of Batman's tech to better suit his needs in the field.
    Steel might also last awhile, although his lack of detective skills on the caliber of Batman would probably be his downfall in a story line or two.
    Also, if we go over to Marvel, Black Panther can probably do it.

Fantastic Member

And from Dragonball, I wouldn't put it past Bulma being able to pull off a weekend as Batman. She might not last long after that due to the technology limitations, but she could maximize using all Bruce's tech at once to increase her odds of not dying.

On a side note, how much time a day do we think Batman uses to do "his job"? We know it's unrealistic in real life where it takes like millions of hours to master all of this sciences, martial arts, etc. But what about comic book time? Doing crime lab stuff, chasing down some small timers, doing some research on a specific case, renewing his connections (forcibly if needed), catching up on rumors and news about the underworld, etc. He automates lots of things I'm sure, like a Bat-computer feed of all crime activities with tons of filters to narrow down his rogue's gallery and possible big time crime, throwing Robin at the small stuff like bank robberies and minor burglaries of middle class citizens.

Like 16-20 hours per day? Or is it like MIB the movie, where Zedd says they use 37 hour work days? And every once in a while he goes insane and needs a few 24 hour days to recover?

Mr. Terrific wouldn't have much trouble. He could also modify certain aspects of Batman's tech to better suit his needs in the field.
    The thread setup denies them being able to modify the tech they are given, so not so much.

Also, if we go over to Marvel, Black Panther can probably do it.
    Not based on anything provided as it stands.

The thread setup denies them being able to modify the tech they are given, so not so much.

Not based on anything provided as it stands.
    One of the biggest conceits you have to give with Batman in his comics is that pre-existing tech ceases to exist in a current run unless it's said so.

Bats -could- use one of his one off suit modifications to make life easier for him in a later instance...but he doesn't. He -could- use his upgraded flying batmobile with all the bells and whistles on it to find this guy quicker, but, nope, he just has a version of the Keatonmobile right now. He could use all of his surveillance stuff to find The Joker...but he doesnt.

So, I think, in using people like BP that are more tech savvy, people are kind of removing those constraints. "It doesn't matter that he's going up against Zzazz, he's going to wear his bullet-proof, strength enhancing armor with flight ALL THE TIME" and such because they're prone to do that. If we're removing the ability to do that, and having them "lose stuff" like Batman is prone to do, then, oh well.

If the op was different, yeah, you could just rain the high caliber comic book supergeniuses on this thread and call it a day. But it is what it is, so you more have to dip into the Nick Furies of the world and that sort.

This:

They have access to Batman's existing tech (but cannot improve on it).
    Screws any number of people who might otherwise be noted.

Extraordinary Member

There were a bunch of sleuths in the pre-Nu52 DCU. Mr. Teriffic, Owlman, Ralph Dibney, Dr. Mid-Night, Dectective Chimp.

I don't know anything about the New52 verse other than any member of the core Batfamily(Dick, Tim, Babs and Jason) could reasonably fill Batman's shoes.

All of these guys could perform both the ass-kicking and the dectective work aspects of Batman's job. I guess Detective Chimp probably isn't much good at hand to hand combat, so maybe leave him out.

Aged Ted Knight could have performed the detective work aspects of Batman's job while Jack handled the rough stuff ala Nero Wolfe.

Mighty Member

Sun-Li (the glorious strategist, from Jade Empire) might be able to do it if he had access to Batman's files. He fails the superhero requirement obviously, and his qi powers would need to be stripped, but his non-tech prep and strategy feats are top notch, and he is a top tier martial artist. Assuming a convincing alternate persona (without even bothering to change his name) is a card in his deck as well, so he could do the Matches Malone type stuff.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by byc View Post
    On a side note, how much time a day do we think Batman uses to do "his job"? We know it's unrealistic in real life where it takes like millions of hours to master all of this sciences, martial arts, etc. But what about comic book time? Doing crime lab stuff, chasing down some small timers, doing some research on a specific case, renewing his connections (forcibly if needed), catching up on rumors and news about the underworld, etc. He automates lots of things I'm sure, like a Bat-computer feed of all crime activities with tons of filters to narrow down his rogue's gallery and possible big time crime, throwing Robin at the small stuff like bank robberies and minor burglaries of middle class citizens.

Like 16-20 hours per day? Or is it like MIB the movie, where Zedd says they use 37 hour work days? And every once in a while he goes insane and needs a few 24 hour days to recover?
    I remember reading somewhere that Batman "works the streets" from sundown to sunrise. On days where he doesn't have to do Bruce Wayne stuff, he does his lab work in the daytime hours.

Apparently Bats has mastered the art of the 15 minute power nap.

This is insane of course, but it is made somewhat more plausible when you take into account the amount of helpers Batman has.

Usually Bats has Nightwing, at least one Robin, a Batgirl a Batfam Black Sheep(It used to be Huntress, then Azrael now I guess its Red Hood) and whatever members of the Outsiders that still take his calls to take up his slack.