Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default How would you make Green Lantern sell?

I don't mean a gimmick that might make it sell for three years. I mean, how would you make it sell permanently?

And please don't say you'd put a popular writer and artist on it. That's just a band-aid, because writers and artists come and go.

Now here's a thread I can really sink my teeth into. Thanks for starting the discussion!

Just a top of the head response, I'd say first off try to incorporate more female characters into the stories and try not to turn them all into villains.
    Save Ferris...

Make it more about discovery, less about fighting bad guys. Show me cool aliens with cool cultures, put GL in situations where he can't just ring sling his way out.

Not that it shouldn't be about fighting bad guys, but there seems to be a ton of that in the current book and far less focus on discovery.

They also shouldn't have all the earth lanterns in one book. I like the idea of John in charge with Hal as his front lines guy, but too many earth lanterns means less screentime for cool alien lanterns.

Finally, if Hal is going to be the guy, he needs a Year One story. The test pilot thing doesn't really make sense at this point, I like the idea of making him a legit astronaut (or someone who trained to become an astronaut) giving him some scientific knowledge to go along with this bravado.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

One needs to consider giving them a different direction instead of having them repeat the same issues such as the Guardians being the cause of whatever conflict may arise due to their stubbornness and short sighted judgement. Rehashed storylines must go. And maybe not have one sector have only one Green Lantern but a squad this is something LI lifted from YouTuber I LOVE COMICS.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Finally, if Hal is going to be the guy, he needs a Year One story. The test pilot thing doesn't really make sense at this point, I like the idea of making him a legit astronaut (or someone who trained to become an astronaut) giving him some scientific knowledge to go along with this bravado.
    Isn't there an Earth One story where Hal is an astronaut?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Isn't there an Earth One story where Hal is an astronaut?
    Next month, yeah.

Two books:

Mystery in Space frontier justice meets space opera
    Lantern Hal Jordan, Lantern Kilowogg, Aya, Razer, Warhawk Shayera Thal, Zeta Ranger Strange

Hal and company patrol the deep reaches of space, holding the line between warring factions and bringing interstellar criminals to justice.

Green Lantern Go! Earthbound police procedural
    Beacon John Stewart, Lantern Guy Gardner, Torch Simon Baz, Torch Kyle Rayner, Torch Jessica Cruz

As Earth is central to interstellar interests and plagued with a variety of internal and external threats, Stewart is charged with keeping the peace, employing an entire precinct of Green Lantern officers. Each officer is assigned to specific teams and/or tasks in order to supplement their efforts, and allowed time-off in order to remain a citizen of the world. Stewart is also given the ability to grant "Sparks", temporarily granting Lantern abilities to citizens.

Green Beacon = Chief of Police
    Green Lantern = Police Inspector/Detective
    Green Torch = Police Officer
    Green Spark = Recruit/Cadet

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Bring Hal back to earth and give him a personal life and supporting cast with problems and conflict outside of ring slinging. As well as interact with other heroes in the DCU making him part of it rather in his isolated corner .

People love these heroes because of their individual personalities and lives not just because of their powers and costume.

The best runs in comics had a strong focus on the characters personal lives. Wolfman's Teen Titans. Superman's triangle era. Chuck Dixon's Batman books. Bendis's Ultimate Spider Man and Daredevil run. Ect.

I think the current Hal Jordan book is doing a great job with it's action and characters personalities but despite all that it's still missing that spark of really caring because there is no real connection because of lack of the characters personal lives that we can all relate to as well as character progression.

That's why I always bring up bringing Carol back into the book. That would greatly inject this kind of thing for Hal and the book.
    Last edited by WallyWestFlash; 02-13-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Next month, yeah.

So it might be redundant to reimagine Hal as an astronaut unless they reboot of course.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    So it might be redundant to reimagine Hal as an astronaut unless they reboot of course.
    Possibly, I just think the test pilot origin is extremely outdated, and want something closer to the "anything to get into space" Jordan we see in New Frontier.

BANNED

Too many Earth lanterns. Get rid of all except maybe one or two

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Possibly, I just think the test pilot origin is extremely outdated, and want something closer to the "anything to get into space" Jordan we see in New Frontier.
    How is his test pilot origin outdated it's one that can work in any given period of time?

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Too many Earth lanterns. Get rid of all except maybe one or two
    I agree except I would say too many earth GREEN Lanterns.

Make Jessica a Blue Lantern and maybe Baz a Yellow Lantern. Would lessen the number of earth GLs and add some other colored earth Lanterns which are sorely lacking.

Also would definitely be interesting to see character and story wise.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    I agree except I would say too many earth GREEN Lanterns.

Make Jessica a Blue Lantern and maybe Baz a Yellow Lantern. Would lessen the number of earth GLs and add some other colored earth Lanterns which are sorely lacking.

Also would definitely be interesting to see character and story wise.
    I'd have swapped Simon for the Blue and Jessica for Yellow though.

If anything they should really check out what makes rick and morty so appealing, wacky science fiction adventures on aliens worlds and their relationships with its inhabitants.

I would love Green Lantern with a more Rick and Morty tone, namely, for example the random and weird alien themed humor.
    Last edited by Cosmicbeing; 02-13-2018 at 09:17 AM.