Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Permanent solutions aren’t really viable, unless some pop culture phenomenon like an oscar-winning Green Lantern movie makes him a fixture of the public consciousness. Until then, creative stories, attractive themes, good art, and aggressive promotion in the short term is the best we can hope for. So the discussions will center on that but there’s no guarantee it can last like Superman and Batman can

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    How is his test pilot origin outdated it's one that can work in any given period of time?
    It can work, that doesn't make it exciting or a fitting origin for a modern superhero, IMO.

Overall I just like "I wanna get into space" Jordan from New Frontier way more than "I want to push my limits" Jordan that seems to be why he's a test pilot. Maybe there's a spin on it I'm missing.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    It can work, that doesn't make it exciting or a fitting origin for a modern superhero, IMO.

Overall I just like "I wanna get into space" Jordan from New Frontier way more than "I want to push my limits" Jordan that seems to be why he's a test pilot. Maybe there's a spin on it I'm missing.
    I believe Hal's reason for wanting to be a test pilot also has something to do with the loss of his father.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Chill on the various Color Corps stories for a while and introduce other sci-fi concepts, ideas, conflicts, and aliens to go along with the space opera.

Make Metropolis one of the (or "the") extraterrestrial capital of Earth. Different sectors may have diplomats and embassies located there in their dealings and interests and contact with Earth. Some may have space station embassies stationed in orbit of Earth. Naturally, certain Green Lanterns may have to deal with these dignitaries as representatives of their jurisdictions. Station a couple of the Earth Lanterns there in a title.

More interaction and developments between the Rannians, Thanagarians, Khundians, Gil'Dishpan, Spider Guild, etc.

Introduction of more female characters - heroes and villains. Bring back Carol Ferris/Star Sapphire and Cowgirl as regulars.

Re-establish and build up Green Lantern's earthly adversaries - the Shark, Hector Hammond, Doctor Polaris, Sonar, Tattooed Man, Goldface, Major Disaster, Puppeteer, Major Force - and perhaps give them some kind of interaction together. (Characterization and emphasis like Johns gave the Flash's Rogues, without necessarily making them a team.)

Crossover between the different Green Lanterns of Earth paired with different Arrow family members that showcases the viewpoints of each character and plays off the Hard-Traveling Heroes classic tales.

Have fun with the space cop vibe and go big on the ideas - like Moore did in Top Ten.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 02-13-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I believe Hal's reason for wanting to be a test pilot also has something to do with the loss of his father.
    I've heard that, as well as "I take the risks so nobody else can", but it seems like putting lipstick on a pig.

I really loved his New Frontier origin because it played up the "I gotta see whats out there" nature of the character, that drive of exploration that really captures the romanticized version of his era which was filled with discovery and invention just for the sake (ignoring the cold war) of discovery and invention.

I'd just love to see more of that in the current incarnation of the character, who (outside of King's one shot) has recently been a fairly straightforward (boring, imo) daredevil type
    Last edited by WhipWhirlwind; 02-13-2018 at 12:23 PM.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

I've heard that, as well as "I take the risks so nobody else can", but it seems like putting lipstick on a pig.

I really loved his New Frontier origin because it played up the "I gotta see whats out there" nature of the character, that drive of exploration that really captures the romanticized version of his era which was filled with discovery and invention just for the sake (ignoring the cold war) of discovery and invention.
    That does sound like a weak motive in some ways and I see that the New Frontier motive for Hal does make his goals have more strength to them maybe if DC decides to reboot they can just use the Earth One Hal's astronaut career as oppose to the test pilot origin. But I never knew that Hal was an explorer of sorts.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-13-2018 at 12:58 PM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

I kind of enjoy that characterization too, along with his risk-taking sensibilities, because it makes him curious and that’s what leads to interesting stories and/or “curiosity killed the cat.” (I love Hal and his bravado when he’s in a predicament.)

I wish we could have more interactions easily between families of characters because in the DCnU, I think there was a misssed opportunity for Hal and Steve Trevor to be friends. The pilot thing and other characteristics make me think they’d have an understanding and get along.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I wish we could have more interactions easily between families of characters because in the DCnU, I think there was a misssed opportunity for Hal and Steve Trevor to be friends. The pilot thing and other characteristics make me think they’d have an understanding and get along.
    Not to mention that Chris Pine was cast as the wrong pilot.

Best way to make Green Lantern sell would be to title the book "Batman and the Green Lanterns" with the Green Lanterns as sort of Batman's sidekicks.

Spectacular Member

There are too many Green Lanterns. Like so many heroes in comics today, the original character is copied over and over again, watering down the concept. Marvel has seven Wolverines now, or a character with the same powers. I would focus on two or three lanterns in the book, the catch being that there is only one ring which they share. If you think about it, this is the most powerful object on Earth. Why have it be unavailable when the bearer is sleeping? This way they can respond to emergencies 24 hours a day. And then you don't have two GLs is the JL at the same time. (I always thought that was a lame idea).

And routinely out solo mini's. My goal would be to change the perception of Green Lantern being a solo book to an ensemble/team book. I'd start pushing the Green Lantern Corps as an ensemble cast as opposed to pushing any single Lantern as the "main" Lantern. The book would be a series of Team titles like the X-Men or the Titans. Fan Favorite Lanterns that struggle to get panel time would become regular features that more in depth development. EX. Arisa, Kilowag, Salaak, Von Daggle,Soranik, Tomar etc. The characters would routinely get solo mini's and such. Increase how often Alien Lanterns interact with the rest of the DCU.

BANNED

I'll take the franchise and split it to 3 books:

Green Lanterns:guy(mentor),baz,Jessica(earth based)

Green Lantern:space knights (Hal,John,Carol,Katama)epic space stories and drama (the book will also explore the dynamic between hal and John for the upcoming movie)

Green Lantern corps (Kyle,rest of the corps)the standard corps title only this time it will have kyle as the corps leader

Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    There are too many Green Lanterns. Like so many heroes in comics today, the original character is copied over and over again, watering down the concept. Marvel has seven Wolverines now, or a character with the same powers. I would focus on two or three lanterns in the book, the catch being that there is only one ring which they share. If you think about it, this is the most powerful object on Earth. Why have it be unavailable when the bearer is sleeping? This way they can respond to emergencies 24 hours a day. And then you don't have two GLs is the JL at the same time. (I always thought that was a lame idea).
    The multiple Lanterns thing never really bothered me as I think of them as a law enforcement/peacemaker unit. The key is figuring out how to write interesting tales for a bunch of unique individuals/personalities who have the same job. I've often thought it be interesting if particular Lanterns were a little more specialized, based on their inherent skills. Some might be better detectives or better at forensics and have learned how to use their rings accordingly. That helps eliminate some of the sameness if you switch up some of their skills with the ring.

Kind of like in the realm of Harry Potter where witches and wizards had different capabilities with magic either inherently or through study and application.

Ultimate Member

After seeing every issue to date of Green Lantern & Hal's Rebirth book in a used bin in BULK at the used book store today (Batman's pile was bigger).

I would say HOUSE CLEAN the whole franchise and decided on what the direction will be.

If it going to be a love letter to Hal-find other roles for everybody else outside of Green Lantern. If Dick Grayson can get a new life as Nightwing-so can the others.

If we are sticking to a team concept. Find a writer who can write about a group cast. Ian Flynn seems to have done that with Archie's Mighty Crusaders.

The Round Robin would be done an arc spotlighting a lantern (for awhile) - give John back his Mosaic world in the vein of Deep Space 9 with the alien lanterns. Hal & Guy can do a Rick & Morty tone in space. Jessica, Simon & Kyle on Earth on SOMEBODY's team. Not the same team but a lantern on a different team.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    I agree except I would say too many earth GREEN Lanterns.

Make Jessica a Blue Lantern and maybe Baz a Yellow Lantern. Would lessen the number of earth GLs and add some other colored earth Lanterns which are sorely lacking.

Also would definitely be interesting to see character and story wise.
    I disagree, Jessica should definitely stay a Green Lantern, as she doesn't work in any of the other Corps. Bax could change, but not to Yellow. The unfortunate implication there are too severe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicbeing View Post
    If anything they should really check out what makes rick and morty so appealing, wacky science fiction adventures on aliens worlds and their relationships with its inhabitants.

I would love Green Lantern with a more Rick and Morty tone, namely, for example the random and weird alien themed humor.
    I disagree entirely. Rick and Morty's tone is insanely dificult to pull off well. Rick and Morty doesn't even manage sometimes.