Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Action Comics & Superman May Special Details

The "Rebirth" runs of Dan Jurgens' Action Comics and Peter J. Tomasi & Patrick Gleason's Superman will each end in their own oversized 48-page one-shots in May. The two teams have worked with various artists on the titles since the launch of "Rebirth" in May 2016, and will pass the baton to writer Brian Michael Bendis as he takes over both titles following April's issues.

May 2's Action Comics Special #1 will feature a lead story by Jurgens and artist Will Conrad titled "The Last Will and Testament of Lex Luthor."

"Beginning with the events of 'Rebirth,' Superman’s greatest enemy became his most unexpected ally. Is Lex finally on the heroic path, or is he still hiding his true colors?," reads a DC announcement. "When he finds himself in an adventure where Superman could be destroyed, what will he do? Save the Man of Steel, or witness his demise at the hands of an unimaginable enemy?

In addition, Action Comics Special #1 will feature a new story by Mark Russell and Jill Thompson, along with the Max Landis/Francis Manapul story pulled from DC Universe Holiday Special 2017 #1.

On May 16, Superman Special #1 will revisit Dinosaur Island from Superman #8.

"Before Superman’s world goes through some drastic changes, he has unfinished business to attend to on Dinosaur Island," reads the DC announcement. "Superman and the Losers’ Captain Storm take one final trip together into the abyss of tomorrow, which brings the military man out of time into the world of today."

Superman Special #1 will also two additional stories by the writer/artist teams of Michael Russell & Bryan Hitch and Ian Flynn & Kaare Andrews.
    Source: https://www.newsarama.com/38615-curr...-specials.html

For the conclusion to both of their runs, I'm pleased with the main story choices. Jurgens' story about whether Lex is still an ally of Superman should be interesting since that dynamic was one of the highlights of his run. And Tomasi and Gleason revisiting Dinosaur Island is a solid choice too as the Dinosaur island arc was one of the highlights of their run.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Wow, *two* stories by Mark Russell (Newsarama lists "Michael Russel" for Superman, but according to the DC press release it's Mark both times)? That's worth the price of entry all on its own. Odd though that the Superman cover shows him with the trunks, but Action in the Reborn suit.

EDIT: Forgot to put this here originally, but yeah, for all the goodwill Russell brings, putting the Landis story in here at this point is an absolutely awful move.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 02-13-2018 at 12:36 PM.

BANNED

Two stories written by Mark Russell, and one with art by Jill Thompson? Amazing.

The Landis story is going to be part of the Action special? Ugh, DC really hasn't learned anything after the Berganza firing.

They could have gone with the Tom King/Trevor Von Eeden story.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

the main stories sound sweet, but the back ups have some excellent creators on them that I'd kill to see otherwise.

Wouldn't be surprised if they do indeed "kill off" Lex for a while. They have a tendency to do this every so often, take him off the table for a while in one way or another.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Is Gleason actually drawing the Superman special? I wonder if he'll be too busy with action comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if they do indeed "kill off" Lex for a while. They have a tendency to do this every so often, take him off the table for a while in one way or another.
    Lex is in doomsday clock and he is also in the no justice crossover happening the same month, doubtful they kill him when there are probably plans to put him in a anti hero team book.

May 2's Action Comics Special #1 will feature a lead story by Jurgens and artist Will Conrad titled "The Last Will and Testament of Lex Luthor."

Well, that definitely has my interest.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Damn.. I put this too late in the other topic..

BANNED

Interested in what the "drastic changes" will be...getting more worried for the state of Lois and Clark, at least for the coming year

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Lex (villain) is finally coming back!
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Lex (villain) is finally coming back!
    Yeah... Finally the man that we all remember is here:

Screen Shot 805.jpg

Lex is in doomsday clock and he is also in the no justice crossover happening the same month, doubtful they kill him when there are probably plans to put him in a anti hero team book.
    There are some theories out there that parts of Doomsday Clock actually take place in the past, before Flashpoint, hence certain things like Batman wearing the Inc. suit and whatnot. Whether true or not, at the very least I think there's enough substance to the idea of some twists and turns that make it so I'm not comfortable looking to Doomsday Clock anymore to assume how things will be everywhere else come the summer.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    There are some theories out there that parts of Doomsday Clock take place in the past, hence certain things like Batman wearing the Inc. suit and whatnot..
    No, Tom King confirmed he is going to start building to Batman wearing that suit in the coming year

I'm still keeping an eye open on the theory regardless. King confirming he'll be wearing that suit in the future doesn't necessarily kill the theory off.

Not only that, even if the Lex stuff in Doomsday Clock confirms that by the time one year passes he's alive and well, considering how death means very little in comics, all that might mean is that he comes back within that timeframe.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-13-2018 at 01:15 PM.