Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Mystery in Madripoor looks good.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Love the artwork on the Madripoor cover. Still not liking Domino's new costume -too much white.

Good Jubilee is gonna be featured in something recent now that she's back to normal. So least she's not going into limbo immediately after next week. But once again, getting tired of artists and the gum fixation. lol
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-13-2018 at 07:28 PM.

I love Wolverine but even I think four minis all revolving around Wolverine to herald his return, on-top of what we're already getting, feels a bit much.

I mean, the minis will probably be solid enough on their own with those creative teams, so I might check them out, but this just feels a little over-the-top even by Marvel's standards of promoting Wolverine.

I mean, "Phases?" Seriously ?

I'm curious how "Mystery in Madripoor" ends up being a dark romance. I mean, Storm was Logan's lover before his death, and he and Domino have knocked boots, but will the X-Ladies be visiting Logan's old loves to try and figure out where he is...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Do you think a comeback event should match a character's popularity, importance, or number or years they've been dead/out of comission?
    I don't think I've ever seen such a full-court press for a return like this for any A-Lister. Maybe Batman in Morrison's run.
    Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    Yes he should. Why is Iron Man involved at all. This should be a X-men only event. It should also only involve characters that are close to him as well.
    Well, Spider-Man's his Superhero buddy and he's there...

BANNED

Each mini has its own genre feel and vibe - and while each stands on its own and is a great story in its own right, they also provide major clues for what's actually going on with Logan. I structured this as a huge mystery, with reveals, red herrings, clues major and minor, misdirects... it's designed to keep you guessing, but slowly pull the curtain back on what I think is a pretty fantastic adventure.

This all sounds good in theory. It'd be damn cool if the four titles were actually interconnected. And while four separate books may seem like a bit much, I do like that there's variety and we as readers can pick and choose which title/s we want. I wonder how this connects to the Infinity Stone stuff. What the hell brought him back?

The first mini is THE ADMANTIUM AGENDA, which starts a number of Logan's old pals from the New Avengers - Iron Man, Spider-Man, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones. It feels like old-school superhero sci-fi adventure. It's written by @TomTaylorMade and drawn by @RB_Silva.

Hell yeah. Taylor knows what he's doing. Silva has some stunning art at times too. Great pairing. I like that they're looking at Wolverines history as an Avenger here, but a shame they chose some of the least interesting New Avengers. Luke, Jess & Stark= yawn. I would have preferred Captain America, Spider-Woman & Doctor Strange.

Next up - MYSTERY IN MADRIPOOR, written by @JimZub and drawn by Chris Bachalo (@ShadeX6). It's got an amazing cast: Storm, Psylocke, Rogue, Domino, Jubilee and some other surprise guests. This one is a spy caper. It's great.

Bringing together the X-ladies in Logan's life huh? I dig it. If we're looking for surprise guest X-Women, I'll take Jean Grey, X-23, Armor & Pixie thanks. Oh and Honey Badger! And if we're in Madripoor, then perhaps the recently resurrected Mariko Yashida. Very happy Zub is writing, Uncanny Avengers + No Surrender are some of my fav comics of recent years. Bachalo's back huh? Not the biggest fan of that style.

Third on the list - CLAWS OF A KILLER, written by @marikotamaki and drawn by Butch Guice. This one is a straight-up horror story, featuring folks not so fond of the Canoodlin' Canuck: Sabretooth, Daken, Lady Deathstrike and more.

Mariko Tamaki is a really nice choice to write a Wolverine story I think. Even with its flaws, she told a great She-Hulk story in terms of PTSD. Interesting that Daken is around for this, given he's just started to atone for his sins in All-New Wolverine. I bet Omega Red is another one of the Wolverine foes to show up. Maybe Ogun/Shogun too. I hope the horror element is amped up to ten because I am so ready.

And finally, WEAPON LOST, written by me, with art from Matteo Buffagni. This is a detective noir, starring Daredevil, Frank McGee, Misty Knight and one-and-a-half other characters I've never written before but who are turning out to be a BLAST.

Not surprising Soule chose Daredevil for himself. Misty & Frank are odd character selections given they're no ties to Logan. I wonder if Elektra or Punisher drop by. I don't know what one-and-a-half characters could possibly mean either.

More thoughts:
    • Overall, I think the choice of interior artists is pretty spot-on. There are a nice range and nice tonal shifts between each title. Creative teams are innovative and entirely new AFAIK.
    • Maybe overkill? Unless you're a diehard Wolverine fan, I doubt many will pick up all four titles.
    • Lol at another Wolverine book without Jimmy Hudson, quite possibly the least popular Wolverine ever.
    • Huge missed opportunity in not having Kurt or Piotr involved in any of the books, given their well-known friendship.
    • Nothing for Alpha Flight; another missed opportunity. Would have been a great way to get the band back together, and look at another faction of Wolverines past life.
    • No Old Man Logan which is odd. Is he dead by then? Does he return to the Wastelands? I need answers.
    • Aren't Marvel milking their cash-cow AKA Deadpool? Color me surprised

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Spider-Man's his Superhero buddy and he's there...
    Yeah, plus they're all teammates from New Avengers. It makes sense.

I honestly think it would be a fun debate to see who Marvel milks to death more, Wolverine, Venom, or Deadpool ?

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

I honestly think it would be a fun debate to see who Marvel milks to death more, Wolverine, Venom, or Deadpool ?
    Wolverine before Deadpool definitely. Not to say Deadpool hasn't been in in a lot of stuff. But Wolverine seems to be in more, on top of all his Clones, Children, and AU relatives running around. Then having 1 or 2 of them on every X-team.

Meanwhile, 616 Deadpool is the only one left. All the others got killed off in Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe. And it's Wolverine variants we have in everything, Exiles included. Deadpool has his solo & Spider-Man/Deadpool series and occasional minis. But he's not crammed into every X-book like Wolverine or any of his variants.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-13-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Right now, Wade's only in Despicable Deadpool (ending) and Spider-Man/Deadpool, until You Are Deadpool launches in May, as DP vs OML is either over or about to be over.

Oddly enough, Deadpool never shows up in books you would expect him to. Case-in-point = these minis.

BANNED

One and a half other characters? Wolverine and Honey Badger are totally in Soule’s book.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    One and a half other characters? Wolverine and Honey Badger are totally in Soule’s book.
    No, they're not. He's written Laura before.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Brisson said he's writing Cable somewhere after he passes the Cable book to the next creative team. He happens to also write Old Man Logan. Do the math.
    I get that, but he doesn't need Cable sending him back though. I could be wrong here, but I feel Brisson lay out some seeds in the Maestro arc where the Maestro still has the machine to go back to the wastelands. It's like Lemire's run on OML, where he established the real Wolverine was. In a cabin in Canada and just in case somebody wants to revive him, he'll be here. (Like right now)

Lol. Right now its Venom. Although, Wolverine is going to be in two events at the same time. Infinity Countdown and The Hunt (Maybe).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I would've been happy with just one mini, but four? All centered around Logan's upcoming return to the X-books? That's just an embarrassment of riches.

I would buy just one. If there are 4. 2 would be a no regret miss. Am I the only person who does not really miss the real Wolverine. OML was a good replacement.

Default The Hunt for Wolverine (or Ho-Hum).

Phew, what was supposed to be some quick thoughts about the Hunt for Wolverine turned into a novel...
    http://comicreliefpodcast.com/archives/1710

(Warning - it's long, and ranty, and has a lot of pretty images)
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

BANNED

This sounds cool. Not sure if I'll get all four minis but the Adamantium Agenda is a definite lock as is Weapon Lost. The fact that Jim Zub is writing Mystery in Madipoor is enough to make me want to pick that up, though - or at least sample the first issue. Claws of the Killer I'm the iffiest about - although the Butch Guice art might clinch the deal in its favor - but we'll see.

Obviously with these running through the summer, Wolverine's proper return will take place in either August or September. Curious to see who the creative team will be on that.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 02-14-2018 at 04:59 AM.

Only Weapon Lost and Mystery in Madripoor for me.

Is marvel trying to put more mini series on the market?