Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Most tragic/doomed romances

Most relationships are iconic for several reasons, like Superman and Lois Lane, or Mr. Fantastic and Invisible Woman. However, there are some that just end in heartbreak. The ones that are either doomed from the start, or end in such a way that everyone's crying.

Take Spiderman and Gwen Stacy. A young love that went downhill the moment her father died, and led to her death in the midst of his battle with the Green Goblin. The way things went, there was just no hope in the end.

Michael Tenicek and Miranda. Astro City
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Rhaegar Targaryen & Lyanna Stark. Game of Thrones/Song of Fire and Ice.

Bruce Wayne & Andrea Beaumont. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

Bruce Wayne & Talia Al Ghul. Batman comics and Grant Morrison's run.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-13-2018 at 02:26 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

FitzSimmons in Agents of Shield.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

BANNED

Star Wars: anything involving a Skywalker. Including Luke & Leia.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Romeo and Juliet.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Romeo and Juliet.
    If those two would have had two brain cells to share between them they would have been perfectly all right.

Johnny Storm and Crystal. That one bummed me out when she married Quicksilver.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Heathcliff and Cathey Earnshaw. I always get misty eyed at the end of the movie with Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon

Spectacular Member Martini Sigil's Avatar

Rogue and Gambit... Rogue and anyone, for that matter. It's tough to have a relationship when you can't touch someone...

Bruce Banner and Betty Ross... He turns into the Hulk before his winkie can get into launch position....

Ragnar and Largetha....

Capt. Flint and Mrs Barlow...

Lucas Hood and Carrie Hopewell... Lucas Hood and Siobhan Kelly...

Renly and Margarie... for obvious reasons

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Martini Sigil View Post
    Renly and Margarie... for obvious reasons
    How were those two ever even a romance at all?

Renly and Margaery
    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    How were those two ever even a romance at all?
    Yea, it was pretty clear the romance really wasn't there with those two. Renly saw love elsewhere and Marg was already wedded to the lust for power (being THE Queen, as she flat out told Baelish when he visited Renly's camp).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-14-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Kyle Rayner and Alexandra DeWitt

Rhaegar & Lyanna really is my favorite modern-ish one. I love how their love (undone by their tragic deaths) becomes this huge powderkeg that unravels the kingdom and both progresses and sets back Westeros for decades. I'd argue their love tragically hurt (SO FAR) Westeros more than helped (in the end, it will likely have saved Westeros).

From the show:
    Ned: There's great honor serving in the Night's Watch. The Starks have manned the wall for thousands of years, and you are a Stark. You may not have my name, but you have my blood.
    Jon: Is my mother alive. Does she know about me, where I am, where I'm going? Does she care?
    Ned: The next time we see each other, we'll talk about your mother. Hmmm? I promise.
    [Ned doesn't return]
    From the book:
    Rhaegar to Jaime before the battle at the Trident: When the battle's done I mean to call a council. Changes will be made. I meant to do it long ago, but ... well, it does no good to speak of roads not taken. We shall talk when I return.
    [Rhaegar doesn't return]
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-14-2018 at 04:23 PM.

All-New Member

I say the most doomed romantic couple was that of Korak and Merriem. She kept getting kidnapped before the two could proclaim their love for one another, and DC cancelled the book and lost the license before resolving that plot.