Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #301

The time travel saga begins with Peter, Teresa and Jameson back in time in the early Lee/ Ditko days trying to get information from the Tinkerer to prevent an alien invasion.

Joe Quinnones' retro style art is a great fit for the era.

It's an interesting take on time-travel spoilers:
    in that they view it as being stuck in an alternate world, so they have no qualms about making major changes.
    end of spoilers

It's probably Zdarsky's best issue since the Peter/ Jonah confrontation, and well worth the continuity nightmare of the first year of this title basically occurring in the space of one week.

What did you guys think?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Yeah all of those events happening in a week is just questionable continuity if it's supposed to be a 616 that can't be affected by their actions...

Weird the cops just released Norman, he did attack Spidey and endanger other people in ASM#17, though maybe those idiots thought it was just a fake fight lol.

Also weird Norman had to drink the Goblin formula to go full Goblin, he was affected by it already, though he didn't drink it, it exploded on him, so I guess it makes sense? Though I don't remember if he ever had to drink it afterwards later on since it seemed he always had his Goblin persona with "just" the explosion.

As far as I can tell, the issues those take place in are: ASM Annual 1 (Only one which Otto burst out of prison back then, though it happened off-screen, that means Sinister Six weren't formed), ASM#23 which is when Norman is trying to take control of other gangs, and future Spidey mentions dealing with Mysterio next, that's ASM#24.

Anyways, Spidey's quipping was fun this time, hopefuly Zdarsky can keep it up in other issues.

Edit: Also I wonder if they'll actualy confirm if Teresa really is Spidey's sister, I mean it seemed Zdarsky was pointing at that when he showed that Teresa (Somehow) still has that picture from Family Business (Same issue also showed that the picture was erased just like it happened in Family Business), now in this issue it seems she'll investigate the past to confirm it with Nick's help...

Pretty good issue overall, not what I'd expect from a time travel story lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 03-14-2018 at 01:39 PM.

There are some Marvel stories where time travel basically creates a new reality.

This started with Marvel Two in One #50.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Two-In-One_Vol_1_50
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The time travel saga begins with Peter, Teresa and Jameson back in time in the early Lee/ Ditko days trying to get information from the Tinkerer to prevent an alien invasion.

Joe Quinnones' retro style art is a great fit for the era.

It's an interesting take on time-travel spoilers:
    in that they view it as being stuck in an alternate world, so they have no qualms about making major changes.
    end of spoilers

It's probably Zdarsky's best issue since the Peter/ Jonah confrontation, and well worth the continuity nightmare of the first year of this title basically occurring in the space of one week.

What did you guys think?

Actually, I didn't know it came out today so I didn't pick it up yet but will this week. On a related note, CBR just reported that Zdarsky signed an exclusivity deal with Marvel and is doing a PP:SSM Annual for June release. Presumably he will also be staying on the title for the foreseeable future.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

That's pretty much been the rule for a long time now; otherwise Days of Future Past wouldn't have survived despite the best efforts of Kate Pryde to prevent it. In-universe, you need some kind of "time-lock" to make sure you remain in your own timeline whether you're moving into the past or the future, or else you create a whole new timeline that diverges from the point at which your presence alters events.

Beyond that, I liked the interactions between Spider-Man and Jameson and their past selves, with Spidey remarking on how he used to be so quick to anger and Jameson regretting how he treated Spider-Man/Peter all those years and trying to make amends. The ending was a good shocker, too, with the return of Nick Fury, Sr. (even if technically a past version of him) the role he'd play in Teresa's continued investigation of her true connection to Peter. All in all, bring on more Amazing Fantasy.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There are some Marvel stories where time travel basically creates a new reality.

This started with Marvel Two in One #50.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Two-In-One_Vol_1_50
    Yeah but Marvel forgot about that, to the point O5 as indeed the true past selves of the Original X-Men members, and in this story, Doom mentioned that time travel was messing with the timeline and he had to specificaly make a time machine that won't do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's pretty much been the rule for a long time now; otherwise Days of Future Past wouldn't have survived despite the best efforts of Kate Pryde to prevent it. In-universe, you need some kind of "time-lock" to make sure you remain in your own timeline whether you're moving into the past or the future, or else you create a whole new timeline that diverges from the point at which your presence alters events.

Beyond that, I liked the interactions between Spider-Man and Jameson and their past selves, with Spidey remarking on how he used to be so quick to anger and Jameson regretting how he treated Spider-Man/Peter all those years and trying to make amends. The ending was a good shocker, too, with the return of Nick Fury, Sr. (even if technically a past version of him) the role he'd play in Teresa's continued investigation of her true connection to Peter. All in all, bring on more Amazing Fantasy.
    Yeah this issue was pretty good, almost made me forget that we needed some dumb alien invasion to have this story lol.

Would be funny if Aunt May shows up at some point and she looks like the classic self, meaning, looking older than her current self .

By the way, anyone else noticed the gamecube on past Peter's room?

Edit: Also I noticed something pretty stupid in this issue, the cops were releasing Norman, but after he releases himself, they start to shoot him? Even though they had no reason to even arrest him? Questionable scene at least lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 03-14-2018 at 02:53 PM.

This one didn't show up at my LCS.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Yeah but Marvel forgot about that, to the point O5 as indeed the true past selves of the Original X-Men members, and in this story, Doom mentioned that time travel was messing with the timeline and he had to specificaly make a time machine that won't do so.

Yeah this issue was pretty good, almost made me forget that we needed some dumb alien invasion to have this story lol.

Would be funny if Aunt May shows up at some point and she looks like the classic self, meaning, looking older than her current self .

By the way, anyone else noticed the gamecube on past Peter's room?

Edit: Also I noticed something pretty stupid in this issue, the cops were releasing Norman, but after he releases himself, they start to shoot him? Even though they had no reason to even arrest him? Questionable scene at least lol.
    They started shooting at him because they realized, "Holy s***, that isn't just a dumb costume, he really is the Green Goblin!" Of course, now that the Spider-Men have exposed him and ruined his ability to act as a respectable businessman in public, the Goblin will most likely be even more dangerous than before (at least for that point in time) and he'll have a serious vendetta going on.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Definitely liked this issue, though for all those wondering I’m 99% sure this isn’t the 616 continuity and instead another reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    They started shooting at him because they realized, "Holy s***, that isn't just a dumb costume, he really is the Green Goblin!" Of course, now that the Spider-Men have exposed him and ruined his ability to act as a respectable businessman in public, the Goblin will most likely be even more dangerous than before (at least for that point in time) and he'll have a serious vendetta going on.
    Good point, somehow I didn't notice that they just didn't believe Osborn really was Green Goblin, they thought Spideys were just trying to frame him.

That means he could get away with everything and make past Spidey's reputation worse, but he was too hot headed to think that far ahead lol.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Definitely liked this issue, though for all those wondering I’m 99% sure this isn’t the 616 continuity and instead another reality.
    Yeah it is another one:

Doom in #300 didn't explain why exactly going back to the past wouldn't alter it, in this issue Peter Specified it's just another timeline.

Good point, somehow I didn't notice that they just didn't believe Osborn really was Green Goblin, they thought Spideys were just trying to frame him.

That means he could get away with everything and make past Spidey's reputation worse, but he was too hot headed to think that far ahead lol.

Yeah it is another one:

Doom in #300 didn't explain why exactly going back to the past wouldn't alter it, in this issue Peter Specified it's just another timeline.
    Yeah, thanks for the confirmation! Though I just noticed... did Quinones draw the chest spider emblem upside down like that on every panel or just that one? I kinda like it tbh. Makes it seem like a spider dangling from a web, rather just an emblem.

Time travel is crazy and I cant expect anything good coming from this

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Yeah, thanks for the confirmation! Though I just noticed... did Quinones draw the chest spider emblem upside down like that on every panel or just that one? I kinda like it tbh. Makes it seem like a spider dangling from a web, rather just an emblem.
    I checked it after you mentioned, and yeah, every panel has the spider being upside down for present-Spidey, past one's isn't upside down, also noticed past-Spidey's web pits disapear at random, mostly from the scenes he's unmasked lol.

I checked it after you mentioned, and yeah, every panel has the spider being upside down for present-Spidey, past one's isn't upside down, also noticed past-Spidey's web pits disapear at random, mostly from the scenes he's unmasked lol.
    That's actually super-interesting how Quinones has it be different between past and present Spidey. Very inconsistent, but interesting.

This was pretty good. I liked that they said outright that it was a different reality.