BANNED

Default Action Comics#997 Discussion and Spoilers

Pretty gripping issue I thought, with some very interesting cliffhangers.

Jon reveals his presence to Lois, and seems pretty stand-offish with Sam at one point and their introduction to one another is as awkward as one can expect.

Back to the future, and the House of Zod overcome Supes after a hectic battle. Zod learns of the time machine and is eager to pick and choose his destination, they find going back in time and killing Clark's family before it's even formed a tantalizing prospect. Zod and Lor turn their merciless intentions on to Skeets before blasting a shielded Supes and Booster with heat rays, but that's not the only big shock of the issue...as Lois, Sam and Jon are ambushed at the end and seemingly shot to ribbons!

Why are comics so short? I enjoyed it. But right when it was at the most interesting it ended. And the next one is in two weeks.

An interesting dilemma. Sam does not know that his son-in-law is Superman. And that Jon has powers. How to come out of it by hiding these facts? . There's blood for sure at the end. And its not of Jon for sure. Whose is it? Sam or Lois or both. Things are looking really bad for both groups Superman and Booster on side and Sam, Lois and Jon at the other. And Skeets is destroyed!

One thing puzzled me. Somehow Superman is near Kryptonite and the punches of Lor did not do serious damage. Near Kryptonite Superman is supposed to loose his invulnerability. And a punch should affect him a lot. Or Lor was affected too?
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-14-2018 at 04:13 AM.

Why are we not getting a fight between Zod and Superman? I am getting annoyed now. Aside from my complaint of not getting the fight I have been looking forward to, this issue was really good. The cliffhanger at the end.....well, I didn't expect it at all. Jurgens is doing a good job moving forward both plots.

Pretty good issue. Lor-Zod seems more insane than his father. Quite a cliffhanger. I bet it's Sam that got shot but I doubt any of them "die."

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    One thing puzzled me. Somehow Superman is near Kryptonite and the punches of Lor did not do serious damage. Near Kryptonite Superman is supposed to loose his invulnerability. And a punch should affect him a lot. Or Lor was affected too?
    I think Lor is affected too...at least, I would hope that's the case. Otherwise, you're right, that doesn't make sense.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Kryptonite is as consistent as the Sentry. It makes Kryptonians weaker, but to what extent has always varied. Sometimes a shard of it a 100 meters away would render Superman useless, in other times he would fight his foe with a piece of K-nite placed inside his brain. For those who care for battle threads, this is a good feat of durability for Superman. Clark was weakened, Lor wasn't.

Sometimes it seems that kryptonite only makes Superman sick but doesn't take away his invulnerability. Like in Superman Returns, Lex is able to stab Superman with the kryptonite shard, but then later, Superman falls from space with a piece still in him and there's not a scratch on him other than the pre-existing wound.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Pretty gripping issue I thought, with some very interesting cliffhangers.

Jon reveals his presence to Lois, and seems pretty stand-offish with Sam at one point and their introduction to one another is as awkward as one can expect.

Back to the future, and the House of Zod overcome Supes after a hectic battle. Zod learns of the time machine and is eager to pick and choose his destination, they find going back in time and killing Clark's family before it's even formed a tantalizing prospect. Zod and Lor turn their merciless intentions on to Skeets before blasting a shielded Supes and Booster with heat rays, but that's not the only big shock of the issue...as Lois, Sam and Jon are ambushed at the end and seemingly shot to ribbons!
    Well, not Jon. But Lois and Sam? Yeah, those two are in danger.

But one has to wonder how long before Sam Lane is told that not only his Lois married to Superman, but their son has the same powers. And may be going Super Kryptonian 2 in the next chapter.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I was figuring that this kryptonite isn't necessarily the real deal.

Story wise I really dig this current bind, where Jon has to now deal with this extremely awkward meeting without revealing his secret to a player on his own team. His dad's juggled that problem time after time, but this is new and very personal. But since Sam isn't evil in this continuity, they might as well tell him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I was figuring that this kryptonite isn't necessarily the real deal.

Story wise I really dig this current bind, where Jon has to now deal with this extremely awkward meeting without revealing his secret to a player on his own team. His dad's juggled that problem time after time, but this is new and very personal. But since Sam isn't evil in this continuity, they might as well tell him.
    Might be best to wait until they're somewhere where someone isn't trying to gun them down every 5 feet.

re: the Kryptonite problem

Doesn't Jakuul have two suns? That may have an impact on the effects of the Kryptonite Kal's being exposed to - his strength and durability may still be quite high, but not enough to break the bonds (or he may not be able to get the right leverage).

Not too sure about the line where he berates Booster (in his thoughts) for not allowing the altered timeline to solidify, though...

- anyone reading the Zod-Family going up against Hal and the GLC, too?