Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider#14

It's a Kaine-focused issue, he gets most of the action fighting against The Hippo while Ben pays a visit to a happily retired Quentin Beck, whom he beats the hell out of and ties up. Although Ben confronts Beck wearing a burgler mask and hoodie, Beck assumes he's Spider-Man by recognizing the voice. Beck talks to Ben about the kind of hell he's been through lately, like being run over by the Spider-Mobile as well as dying and literally going to hell. He just wants to be left in peace. Ben takes pity on him and cuts him loose...meanwhile, Kaine defeats Hippo and learns he was sent by Marlowe, who Kaine's never heard of but aims to get to the bottom of things
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-14-2018 at 05:39 AM.

Wasn't a bad issue glad Kaine is still in the series. But when did mysterio go to hell I know he got ran over by deadpool but did he die?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Wasn't a bad issue glad Kaine is still in the series. But when did mysterio go to hell I know he got ran over by deadpool but did he die?
    It was a reference to the time he was revived from his suicide by supernatural forces during The Other storyline...it was a plot point that got dropped.

ok issue, sets up post Damnation story arc? Didn't match the solicit though.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    It was a reference to the time he was revived from his suicide by supernatural forces during The Other storyline...it was a plot point that got dropped.
    Actually, I thought it was post-The Other, during the Civil War/Back in Black period when Peter David was writing Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. At the very least, we now have confirmation that Beck really did die and go to hell, as opposed to faking his death like he claimed in his Brand New Day revival. "Master of illusion, duh!" Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    ok issue, sets up post Damnation story arc? Didn't match the solicit though.
    Sure didn't. I was expecting something with Cassandra Mercury and Ben confronting her, not Beck, although it was a pleasant surprise that Ben showed some empathy for Beck and just told him to stay on the straight and narrow . . . or else. As for Kaine's angle in this, I wonder if tracking Marlowe is going to end up taking a backseat to Damnation or tie into it somehow.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Despite the focus on Kaine (I think juggling the two Scarlets is a smart idea since it keeps plots fresh and coming) I enjoyed the resolution from Ben regarding Mysterio but the best and fun thing about the issue is Hyppo man and his dialogue. What a funtastic ******* to read about

Also to note that Kaine shares early Peter`s awkwardness with women..well maybe more due to his upbringing and tougher exterior but I always enjoyed the fact Ben was so much more a natural socially speaking than either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    Despite the focus on Kaine (I think juggling the two Scarlets is a smart idea since it keeps plots fresh and coming) I enjoyed the resolution from Ben regarding Mysterio but the best and fun thing about the issue is Hyppo man and his dialogue. What a funtastic ******* to read about

Also to note that Kaine shares early Peter`s awkwardness with women..well maybe more due to his upbringing and tougher exterior but I always enjoyed the fact Ben was so much more a natural socially speaking than either of them.
    That's what I'm hoping the title turns into. I think how in the past few issues this has become a "Scarlet Spiders" title. Ben and Kaine are cool as "brothers." My only hope is that the title ensures that the two have distinct personalities from both one another and from Peter.

Other than that, hey the issue had lots of flipping, thwipping, kicking, and punching. That's good enough for me .

Onward to Damnation!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

What more do you need that a scarred clone of Spidey fighting a mutated hippo man?!

-Pav, who asks you...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Okay, more thoughts after my second read-through:

1) The dialogue of Kaine throwing over to Ben - "I wonder if Ben ever..." - should've led to Ben and Cassandra together, right? Y'know, for symmetry with Kaine considering his relationship with Terry?

I wonder why they decided to rearrange the story and completely remove the Diva from this issue in favor of the Mysterio subplot.

2. I'm still not a fan of PAD putting the overly exposition-y infodump into the mouths of Ben and Kaine. But it's whatever. I chuckle at it while shaking my head.

3. Another wonder: do you think PAD selected the Hippo, or do you think it was an editor who suggested it just as with the Slingers? .

"So, Peter, maybe instead of the Rhino you could..."

But I love weird D-Listers, so give me Mrs. Fluffy Lumpkins whenever you want, PAD and/or editor person!

Maybe play up how territorial hippos are?

4. I know PAD hasn't gotten overly philosophical, but I do like the subtle things PAD does to remind us that Ben and Kaine are reflections of Peter Parker. In this issue, it was the Hippo calling Kaine "Spider-Man."

5. I wish Ben would've just shown up at Mysterio's house in his costume. Haha I know why Ben's choice made sense - and I usually let in-story override out-of-story - haha but I just missed seeing him in costume.

6. "Well, he's suffocating."

7. I wish the cover actually reflected the story. I think it might've appealed to some people who aren't already reading, or maybe stopped it early. Kaine fighting the Hippo is pure comics goodness

8. Someone named "Marlowe" is pulling the Hippo's strings: a connection to DAMNATION maybe? The playwright Marlowe wrote Dr. Faustus, so...

9. This comic may not be a work of art, but it's fun and intriguing. I'm always left wondering what's going to happen next.

-Pav, who can't wait for the next issue
    Last edited by Pav; 02-15-2018 at 10:30 AM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.

--------------------

Fun issue, I really liked the change in artist. It had a sort of retro look to it.

I hear what you are saying, Pav, about the Hippo and the Rhino. The Hippo was awfully, awfully Rhino-esque in this issue.

The Mysterio confrontation was disappointing. "WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO WITH THIS?!?" "Nothing." "Oh, ok". And he leaves. What was the point of that?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Fun issue, I really liked the change in artist. It had a sort of retro look to it.

I hear what you are saying, Pav, about the Hippo and the Rhino. The Hippo was awfully, awfully Rhino-esque in this issue.

The Mysterio confrontation was disappointing. "WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO WITH THIS?!?" "Nothing." "Oh, ok". And he leaves. What was the point of that?
    Well, we know that his daughter is up to something, even if he isn't.

Plus, the confrontation can be contrasted with the beatdown of Thorne to show Ben's reemerging sense of morality.

-Pav, who still thinks Cyber is her boyfriend...

--------------------

Per PAD himself on Twitter, it was Dan Slott's idea to use the Hippo in the latest issue.

-Pav, who can't help but wonder how invested PAD is in this book...

--------------------

BANNED

Well, they`re colleagues, writers talking and rolling ideas isn`t a novelty but with Fresh Start looming around the block one does have to wonder if PAD is staying on the book for the longer haul.

Incredible Member

Since becoming the Scarlet Spider Kaine has had to contend with mutant werewolves, an armadillo and now a hippo. Marvel certainly likes to throw foes from the animal kingdom Kaine's way.

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    Since becoming the Scarlet Spider Kaine has had to contend with mutant werewolves, an armadillo and now a hippo. Marvel certainly likes to throw foes from the animal kingdom Kaine's way.
    Hey, he's just following in Peter Parker's footsteps: octopus, rhino, kangaroo, rabbit, grizzly, vulture...

-Pav, who could go on...

EDIT: Solicit for #18 is out, so it looks like our Scarlet Clone Brothers will survive Damnation! Sad that it doesn't look good for Iron Fist though :/

--------------------